2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

#SFGiants add another veteran lefty, ink Drew Pomeranz:

Was hoping the Sox would be interested in Pomeranz on a similar, cheap one year deal. If he sucks we cut bait, but if he bounces back he could be a valuable trade asset?

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

$1.5M base, incentives up to $5M. 

Wow - I know both of us really like Pomeranz for this team.  Just don't get why we wouldn't gamble on something this cheap.  Sox seem pretty content in rolling with one Banuelos/Covey/Stephens/Adams for the 5th spot.  

Yeah, it kind of makes the Nova deal look bad in comparison, although he probably offers more certainty (less upside for sure though).  

I wonder if we’ve got Gio waiting in the wings on a Machado signing, because I can’t imagine they’d go into the 2019 season with one of those guys in the 5th spot if we spend $250M+ on Manny.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, it kind of makes the Nova deal look bad in comparison, although he probably offers more certainty (less upside for sure though).  

I wonder if we’ve got Gio waiting in the wings on a Machado signing, because I can’t imagine they’d go into the 2019 season with one of those guys in the 5th spot if we spend $250M+ on Manny.

Yah, definitely bizarre.  

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That's what l'm thinking as well. Add Manny, Gonzalez, and Pederson and this team might actually be somewhat decent.

19 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That's what l'm thinking as well. Add Manny, Gonzalez, and Pederson and this team might actually be somewhat decent.

A lot is riding on improvement from Moncada, Rodon and Lopez, and Giolito becoming an MLB pitcher. 

All have the talent to get the job done. 

If two of Rodon, Lopez and Giolito take off, they could have a team this year, should they add Machado, Pederson and Gonzalez. I would think they are one OF away, and I wouldn't mind Jones or CarGo on a 1 year deal. 

Even though Palka could be something, his obp sucked ass last year and he still hit .246. He's basically Schwarber without the walks. Let's not turn him into the South Side version of Micah Hoffpauir, please. He's 27 and had an ok year on a 100 loss team, 

Edited by Jack Parkman

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unless they really think Cease is going to need minimal time down in Charlotte? Cooper keeps raving about him.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

$1.5M base, incentives up to $5M. 

Wow - I know both of us really like Pomeranz for this team.  Just don't get why we wouldn't gamble on something this cheap.  Sox seem pretty content in rolling with one Banuelos/Covey/Stephens/Adams for the 5th spot.  

Absolutely not the case

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, then how do you explain their lack of activity in an otherwise pretty advantageous market for buying SP?

They'll sign a starting pitcher. Rick Hahn himself practically guaranteed it. If I had to guess, one of Wade Miley or Gio Gonzalez. There are still plenty of cheap #5 types available 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They'll sign a starting pitcher. Rick Hahn himself practically guaranteed it. If I had to guess, one of Wade Miley or Gio Gonzalez. There are still plenty of cheap #5 types available 

I did agree, but thought that would have been handled by now. Not sure what they’re waiting for, and they’ve let a good chunk of the market pass them by. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Are you referring to early in the offseason when he said they'd have to seek pitching help outside the organization or something more recent? Because they have obtained pitching from outside the organization, it was just Ivan Nova. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you referring to early in the offseason when he said they'd have to seek pitching help outside the organization or something more recent? Because they have obtained pitching from outside the organization, it was just Ivan Nova. 

Cooper said on a podcast in last two weeks that he thought they would add to the rotation