2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah you would think a team like the Brewers have a need at 2B would grab Harrison.

They might be tapped out after the Grandal signing.  They did sign Spangenberg and still have Hernan Perez so the cupboard isn't totally empty.

EDIT: Tyler Saldino too!

Edited by bschmaranz

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

They might be tapped out after the Grandal signing.  They did sign Spangenberg and still have Hernan Perez so the cupboard isn't totally empty.

EDIT: Tyler Saldino too!

Stearns has been unbelievable in getting production from acquisitions so I'm gonna assume he knows what he's doing with 2b.

11 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

As for the Sox I'd say the only guys worth pursuing if no Machado/Harper signing are Gonzalez, Moose, and MAYBE Adam Jones

Too bad Marwin can't play CF. Pipe dream, but Machado + Marwin + Joc would be amazing.  Still a SP short tho.

Moncada 2B

Marwin LF

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B

Alonso DH

Eloy RF

Joc CF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

My oh my.  

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Stearns has been unbelievable in getting production from acquisitions so I'm gonna assume he knows what he's doing with 2b.

If they hadn't moved Villar for Schoop, they'd be good at 2B 

Edited by bschmaranz

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Too bad Marwin can't play CF. Pipe dream, but Machado + Marwin + Joc would be amazing.  Still a SP short tho.

Moncada 2B

Marwin LF

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B

Alonso DH

Eloy RF

Joc CF

Castillo C

Anderson SS

My oh my.  

This isn't just to you, as I have seen plenty of people do this- but why do people tend to bat Alonso above Pederson in mock lineups when Pederson is the much better hitter?

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

This isn't just to you, as I have seen plenty of people do this- but why do people tend to bat Alonso above Pederson in mock lineups when Pederson is the much better hitter?

I know I've been guilty of this, and to be quite honest - I have no clue why I put him there. Comparing them, Pederson is the better hitter out of the two of them.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Totally get what he's getting at, but he does realize he's 40 years old right?

It’s anti-Australian bias, clearly!

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-having-unexpectedly-good-offseasons/c-303316940

Five teams that had sneaky good offseasons.  We could have done those Rangers’ pitching moves for a lot less than the price for just Colome and Herrera.   Rays and Twins definitely under the radar.

Edited by caulfield12

At this point in the offseason I don't even need Harper/Machado to sign in the next week, but my god, I need SOME action. JB Schuck signings cant be it all! Someone please sign some of these pitchers and bats.

I'm sure some of these guys have offers they've sat on, however just a few names that come to mind for me if you can pick them up on minor league deals (or very minimal major league deals ($1-2mm)

Evan Gattis -- I really wish we wouldn't have thrown $2.5mm at McCann. I hate that signing. A lot. I think most of us did. I don't follow Gattis enough to know, but he put 50 games behind the plate at neutral dWAR in 2017 and 2016. He's not your ideal guy ... he kind of is Palka in a way... but I'd very much preferred signing Gattis as your backup C for a few million.. hell he maybe even would accept a minors deal at this point. He'd give you a .250BA, and say 20 dingers with 300/400PA. Give him 30-40 games behind the plate, give him a handful at 1B, a handful at DH. McCann seems like a total waste. At least with Gattis you're getting some flexibility out of him (albeit redundant).

Weiters -- kind of same reasoning. I think you can get him almost at a minor league contract. I hate that we guaranteed McCann that money. I'd much rather had two guys signed to a minor league deal and have them battle it out. I think both are better than McCann and both probably will end up costing less. Not sure the rush to go out and pay above market value for a Catcher these past two off seasons with Hahn.....

Robbie Grossman -- I think adding OF's are a bit redundant at this point. I think there a number of FA that would either represent an upgrade, or slight upgrade over our current guys (Palka, Engel, Delmonico, Tilson, Cordell) but I also think not many of them a much brighter, or really any brighter future with this organization, so seems like a waste of resources. Names that come to mind are (Melky, Adam Jones, Granderson, CarGo, Maybin). Those guys more or less are aged and really just take a spot from the possible young guys we have. So although its an extreme long shot that any of our guys make a big enough case to warrant a shot long term, I don't think any of the guys listed do either. I think an Adam Jones maybe offers the most in terms of adding to the clubhouse (hate saying that) and returning league average return in RF. Carlos Gonzalez would probably represent the best shot of maybe returning a low level prospect at a deadline if he mashes homers. All that being said. Grossman is a guy I think that actually bucks all the guys listed above inside and outside the Sox organization.

Grossman has put up a OBP of .360+ in each of the last three years... and with considerable plate appearances. He doesn't strikeout a whole ton ... limited pop, but a good amount of doubles. Defensively? Very limited. So again, this may be repeating itself and not a point of need .... we already have Palka as a somewhat upside (power) bat who is limited in the OF. We already have Alonso (like him as person, but not sure why we have him) at DH, 1B. We already have Abreu 1b/DH. So no real spot for Grossman. But I look at Grossman with more upside than Palka.. I'd rather have a guy who gets on base at a .350-370 clip and hits doubles than Palka who is a more of an all or nothing bat.

Moylan -- out of the pen I like him. Big groundball guy. Ranks top 10. Kind of guy you want coming out of your pen when you have guys on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Get that double play and move on to the next guy to strikeout out #3.