southsider2k5

2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

On 2/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Your lack of watching White Sox games is ever apparent if you think Omar Narvaez has a decent shot of being a good big league player.  He is one of the worst defensive catchers I have seen in Sox history and has very little hopes of getting better IMO.  His 2018 offensive season was a huge fluke and his xWOBA last year supports that.  For a team that will be developing a lot of young arms over the next couple seasons, they were smart to sell high on him.  Debating the return is fair, but my guess is Omar had little to no value across the league and the Sox like Colome more than others.

I would be of the mind that Narvaez was too poor defensively to improve if I didn't consistently watch Hahn ditch catchers that had a plus skill but not well rounded only to become well rounded on other teams. 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

The newest gem from Charles the Cat!

What a joke. Literally piggy backing on Buster. I have some major trust issues with "insiders" after this offseason.

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Who knows if this is an attempt to clear $ for Harper, but if it is, I still have to question the flip side... why a team would rather put THAT much $ into trading for Heyward, when they could just put it towards signing Harper.  

3 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Who knows if this is an attempt to clear $ for Harper, but if it is, I still have to question the flip side... why a team would rather put THAT much $ into trading for Heyward, when they could just put it towards signing Harper.  

Right...if they're going to possibly take on Heyward (assuming they're not sending bad money), might as well go all-in for Harper themselves.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right...if they're going to possibly take on Heyward (assuming they're not sending bad money), might as well go all-in for Harper themselves.

They would be sending bad money like Cueto or Samardzija, along with Melancon.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nevermind, misunderstood post.  

The "Where's our Liriano" meme dates back to 2006 when the Twins, who already had Santana, unveiled Liriano - a lefty with absolutely dominant pure stuff who succeeded right out of the gate. At the time, our starting pitchers were struggling, so watching the Twins come up with something like that just seemed unfair.

5 years later, the White Sox unveiled a lefty who was perhaps more dominant with his raw stuff -"There's our Liriano" - and we kept ours healthy for 6 years, we just couldn't do a darn thing with him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Even one of my friends who is a diehard Cubs fans thinks this cat is a fraud.  It really seems like the Darvish was either a lucky guess or one time leak.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Too bad Curtis never became friends with Manny. He'd be our starting right fielder on a 1 year 5 million dollar deal.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25925457/indians-acquire-right-hander-nick-wittgren-trade-marlins 

CLEVELAND -- Looking to reconstruct their bullpen, the Cleveland Indians acquired right-hander Nick Wittgren from the Miami Marlins.

The three-time defending AL Central champions sent right-hander Jordan Milbrath to the Marlins for Wittgren, who made 32 appearances for Miami last season. The 27-year-old posted a 2.94 ERA and also pitched for Triple-A New Orleans.

He has a 3.60 ERA in 118 games for the Marlins over the past three seasons. Wittgren was designated for assignment last week and has one option remaining.

Brandon Guyer to the Sox...he can no longer be a sox killer. Career .311 hitter and .431 OBP against the Sox

Looking at free agency and the Indians depth chart, they can still piece together a decent OF next year. A Brantley-less OF, but they can still improve over what they currently have. Denard Span (1.9 WAR) for LF or RF and then sign Jones or Dietrich for the other corner. Hell, even Joey Bats (1.4 WAR) as a DH with Santana playing 1B and Bauers playing a corner. 

Edited by soxfan2014