2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Do the Dodgers have anything left to make it worth doing for the Tribe? I count 2 Dodgers in the MLB.com top 100, Verdugo and Ruiz, both in the 30-50 range, that seems like a low price for those guys to me.

Smith/Ruiz & Verdugo would be a pretty good starting point for Bauer, who only has two arbitration years left.  CLE is likely looking for a major league ready OF so the matchup makes a ton of sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Smith/Ruiz & Verdugo would be a pretty good starting point for Bauer, who only has two arbitration years left.  CLE is likely looking for a major league ready OF so the matchup makes a ton of sense.

Yeah I've read that they prefer to move Bauer due to the cost uncertainty (the 2 arb years you mentioned) while Kluber is signed for 3 more years.

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well no. Maybe one starter. Even dealing one of their starters, their rotation is still good. They would likely get a bat or two that would start the year on the MLB team as well (Verdugo?).

Looking at how good the Indians’ rotation is, I just wonder if time has passed by Cooper.  Clevinger & Bieber were never huge prospects but come up and simply get shit done.  Meanwhile Cooper has all these nice toys in Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito (sort of) and the results are a mix of frustrating & terrifying.  If shit doesn’t gett beter next year, I think it’s time for a change at pitching coach.

I guess if you're going to do this with a young player, it makes sense to do it with a reliever since they are so volatile from year to year. 

Still though, if the Mariners are rebuilding, why not sell high on Diaz in a different deal and keep Cano? Unless it isn't a complete teardown?

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Schoop to 2nd, Manny to 3rd, Yoan to CF.  Again it’s a longshot but makes about as much sense as being interested in Nelson Cruz.

Until the White Sox actually acknowledge that CF is a possibility for Moncada, I am dismissing that.  I don't see it happening, though I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it, even if on a limited basis.  

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say it, Moncada in CF scares me.  He has had some really awful IQ plays at 2B.  Those kind of plays in CF turn outs into 3B and HR's, not 1B's.

Definitely allows his super elite speed to play up though.  I'd be intrigued, but wouldn't be so married to the idea what I'd keep forcing it if it just isn't working.