2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely allows his super elite speed to play up though.  I'd be intrigued, but wouldn't be so married to the idea what I'd keep forcing it if it just isn't working. 

3B, I get.  CF?  He is supposed to be able to use his range at 2B as well, and he still had some major problems out there.  I am OK with waiting for Luis Robert or Luis Gonzalez who are real CF's already.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely allows his super elite speed to play up though.  I'd be intrigued, but wouldn't be so married to the idea what I'd keep forcing it if it just isn't working. 

His elite speed is already in play at 2B, where he was near the top of the league in range stats

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

3B, I get.  CF?  He is supposed to be able to use his range at 2B as well, and he still had some major problems out there.  I am OK with waiting for Luis Robert or Luis Gonzalez who are real CF's already.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

His elite speed is already in play at 2B, where he was near the top of the league in range stats

I definitely think his speed plays up more in CF than 2B.  Look, I am not CWS, who puts Moncada in CF in every one of his mock lineups, and I don't think its happening, but I can squint enough to see it possibly working.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely think his speed plays up more in CF than 2B.  Look, I am not CWS, who puts Moncada in CF in every one of his mock lineups, and I don't think its happening, but I can squint enough to see it possibly working.  

His skills seem better fit for CF than 3rd.  3rd seems like a disaster waiting to happen for him as he was at his worst when having to field grounders off to his side due to not having the softest of hands.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

And I won’t stop until it happens!

But I 100% agree speed plays up better in CF vs. 2B.  However, part of the allure of moving Moncada to the OF is taking advantage of his 70 grade arm, which is wasted to an extent at 2B.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

No idea if this is legit, but this just popped up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentBooty/status/1068369993107103744

I have to say, with the abundance of similarly talented arms on the free agent market, I would be disappointed if they gave up any prospect value at all here.  Not that I object to Colome as a player, just that there are a lot of pen arms on the market.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like Colome, but his timeline doesn't really line up that well for us (signed through 2020), so hopefully he can be flipped in July 2020 if the team is not competing by then. 

What would we even give up? Something like Carson Fulmer and Jordan Stephens?

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I like Colome, but his timeline doesn't really line up that well for us (signed through 2020), so hopefully he can be flipped in July 2020 if the team is not competing by then. 

What would we even give up? Something like Carson Fulmer and Jordan Stephens?

Be more than that (I was thinking Sheets +), and it’s not a deal you make if you’re not intending to make more upgrades.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Ignoring the source, I’m going to say it seems incredibly unlikely the Mariners would close/announce three different deals on one day, including a complicated, multi-player blockbuster.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ignoring the source, I’m going to say it seems incredibly unlikely the Mariners would close/announce three different deals on one day, including a complicated, multi-player blockbuster.

They've been having a lot discussions about all their players including some that saw combined packages of players so they might be further ahead on other possible deals. I do agree though that it does seem unlikely. 

8 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I have to say, with the abundance of similarly talented arms on the free agent market, I would be disappointed if they gave up any prospect value at all here.  Not that I object to Colome as a player, just that there are a lot of pen arms on the market.

That's why I'm skeptical. There's no reason to give up prospects in our top 30 especially if its the 1st trade of the off season. If its for Ryan Cordell , Delmonico, Tilson, Fulmer , Avi or one of the young relievers  sure pull the trigger.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside