2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Harper to the Phillies and Machado to the Yankees would be devastating. Absolutely devastating.

Better than Harper to the Cubs.  With that said, wow did the fan base get some irrational hope about the chance the Sox had to sign either guy.  If what you say happens, then that Morosi initially tweet will live in infamy.

25 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes. So far, the only confirmed pieces are Segura, Crawford and Santana. I would assume there would be some more prospects involved.

Wow, I think it’s smart the Mariners took on Santana’s contract, but they better be compensated accordingly.  Crawford is a nice centerpiece (even with his hype down a bit), but there better be more coming their way.  Absorbing Santana’s $40M is nothing to sneeze at, especially after working hard to get out of Cano’s deal.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Better than Harper to the Cubs.  With that said, wow did the fan base get some irrational hope about the chance the Sox had to sign either guy.  If what you say happens, then that Morosi initially tweet will live in infamy.

I'm not going to give up hope until they've signed elsewhere, but the Phillies look like they're motivated to add one of these guys and the Yankees have an endless budget. It'll be an uphill battle, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think Nick Williams was preventing them from adding Harper though.  All this does is ensure they add an OF.

It’s more they upgraded at SS without adding too much to their payroll while also moving Hoskins to 1B.  Makes it even easier for them now to go bonkers on Bryce and/or Manny

23 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. I've been saying for about a year that the Phillies are going to sign one of these guys. It seems very likely that they will.

They probably will, but I still think we have a good chance of landing the other one.  This reminds of the Abreu market when the stars aligned and most of the big spenders had little to no interest.  Outside of the Yankees with Machado, I don’t see any serious threats.  And I’m not convinced the Yankees are prepared to offer a record setting contract for Machado just yet.

50 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

If the phils land machado, I don't think Harper goes to the yanks... In the past he has said he doesn't like the city of NY and has openly complained about their rules regarding hair and made other comments indicating he isn't a fan of the yanks.

He grew up a Yankees fan.