Rick Renteria Signs Contract Extension, length unknown

Sleepy Harold

6 hours ago, Buehrlesque said:

Technically, all this really means is that Ricky is guaranteed more money should he be fired at at any point in 2019 or 2020. Which I think is a good thing for him. With the White Sox though, you never know if it's an iron-clad sign of unflinching confidence.

Seriously. This is a non-story for those who don't like Renteria. He can still be fired at any moment. It's only good news for those who support Ricky.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I'm sure Machado would love to hear about Ricky's no non sense, hustle all the time persona. 

Do people really want to commit 30 mil/year to a guy who when he is young admits he doesn't like to try all the time?

What is he going to be like in 2-3 years when he starts to get achy and sore everyday?

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah if this is really the main selling point of their "big presentation" then there's no way Manny's coming here. 

I feel bad, but it ended up just being a bad headline for a story that was really two pieces:

- sox expect to make a strong pitch in free agency that they think can compete with everyone

- That includes rick renteria by the fact that they just signed him

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Do people really want to commit 30 mil/year to a guy who when he is young admits he doesn't like to try all the time?

What is he going to be like in 2-3 years when he starts to get achy and sore everyday?

Ptatc, Machado played almost day for the last 5 years . He's probably at or near the top of all MLB in games played for that time period. You should know as well as anyone that the season is a grind and everybody has their aches and pain .  If you are a superstar playing every day for 5 years I really think it's fine to not sprint on infield pop up or balls hit right at infielders and Ofers. Just do your mashing and plus fielding  every day and I'll take the 5/6 WAR with the occasional trotting.

Could he have phrased what he said better ? Of course but, it's a common practice for plenty of players even those who don't play an average of 159+ games for 5 years in a row.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah if this is really the main selling point of their "big presentation" then there's no way Manny's coming here. 

No the main selling point for Ricky is probably that his players love him and he's bi-lingual . I doubt any free agent takes into consideration who's the manager unless there's been known friction between them in the past.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No the main selling point for Ricky is probably that his players love him and he's bi-lingual . I doubt any free agent takes into consideration who's the manager unless there's been known friction between them in the past.

Yeah, despite what fans might think of him, I have yet to see any player even hint badly of Ricky.  I know the initial returns were very much positive, especially when compared to Robin.  There hasn't been much said now, but I have yet to see anything that hints that this has changed.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ptatc, Machado played almost day for the last 5 years . He's probably at or near the top of all MLB in games played for that time period. You should know as well as anyone that the season is a grind and everybody has their aches and pain .  If you are a superstar playing every day for 5 years I really think it's fine to not sprint on infield pop up or balls hit right at infielders and Ofers. Just do your mashing and plus fielding  every day and I'll take the 5/6 WAR with the occasional trotting.

Could he have phrased what he said better ? Of course but, it's a common practice for plenty of players even those who don't play an average of 159+ games for 5 years in a row.

To sprint for 30 yards isn't much of an killer. How many games did Pete Rose miss? I don't see how with modern day training, and chartered flights, today's players need to take 4 seconds off when there is actual action going on. 

Manny's comments were ridiculous. But he's still a great player, and maybe someone can get him to sprint to first base. 

Edited by Dick Allen

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To sprint for 30 yards isn't much of an killer. How many games did Pete Rose miss? I don't see how with modern day training, and chartered flights, today's players need to take 4 seconds off when there is actual action going on. 

Manny's comments were ridiculous. But he's still a great player, and maybe someone can get him to sprint to first base. 

Don't be so naive. You deliberately say sprinting 30 yards isn't much of a killer like you only have to do it once when in actuality you might have to sprint 30 of more yards 500 times a year . When you play all the time that takes its toll especially when it's a given that you will have plenty of aches and pains playing all the time like Machado does. If you don't think he's worth signing because he doesn't sprint 100% of the time then I don't know what to tell you. If you want another Pete Rose good luck with that too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I don't understand why this is the end of the world for some people. It's not like Terry Francona or Joey Cora or Joe Maddon would've done any better with that crew. Give him better players and see what he can do. I bet his managerial style changes when he gets a good team. Remember what he did with that one Cubs team (2013?) they were supposed to be awful and he had them near .500 like midway through the season. Listen to the man talk. He's a good leader, and he knows how to communicate with the players, they listen to him, they like him, and he speaks fluent Spanish, which is like what half of the team? It's a helluva lot better situation than if we had Ventura running this thing.

Honestly, Manny isn't going to care what RR will have to say about hustling if a  $340M / 10Y and a front-loaded opt out after 4 is staring him in the face.  ala $40M, $40M, $38M, $36M (154/4; $38.5M avg).  That would let him opt out once he's 30 and give him another shot at which will probably be a $400+M deal in the future, if he continues his current pace.

Edited by Soxnfins

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't be so naive. You deliberately say sprinting 30 yards isn't much of a killer like you only have to do it once when in actuality you might have to sprint 30 of more yards 500 times a year . When you play all the time that takes its toll especially when it's a given that you will have plenty of aches and pains playing all the time like Machado does. If you don't think he's worth signing because he doesn't sprint 100% of the time then I don't know what to tell you. If you want another Pete Rose good luck with that too.

I am older than these guys and work out every freaking day. I used to do 15 miles in 70 minutes on an elliptical, which is almost a sprint, until it messed up my SI joint.  I did it for years. To tell me a professional athlete can't do 2 or 3 30 yard sprints 162 times a year because it will wear him down is beyond hilarious. 

And if you would have actually read what I wrote, you would have realized I never said he wasn't worth signing. Just that the whole concept of dogging it is ridiculous. There isn't much physical effort in baseball.  

162 games, an extra 3 times sprinting to 1B a game, which is probably more than he would have to do as he gets hits and walks and strikes out, at 4 seconds per sprint, is an extra 32.4 minutes of running a season. 5 minutes a month. Maybe you are right, he'd be gassed.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I don't understand why this is the end of the world for some people. It's not like Terry Francona or Joey Cora or Joe Maddon would've done any better with that crew. Give him better players and see what he can do. I bet his managerial style changes when he gets a good team. Remember what he did with that one Cubs team (2013?) they were supposed to be awful and he had them near .500 like midway through the season. Listen to the man talk. He's a good leader, and he knows how to communicate with the players, they listen to him, they like him, and he speaks fluent Spanish, which is like what half of the team? It's a helluva lot better situation than if we had Ventura running this thing.

I don't like watching Renteria manage because he is archaic in the way he manages and nobody seemed to improve.

So I am not thrilled we keep playing this game where sub par performances are okay so long as you are liked.

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am older than these guys and work out every freaking day. I used to do 15 miles in 70 minutes on an elliptical, which is almost a sprint, until it messed up my SI joint.  I did it for years. To tell me a professional athlete can't do 2 or 3 30 yard sprints 162 times a year because it will wear him down is beyond hilarious. 

And if you would have actually read what I wrote, you would have realized I never said he wasn't worth signing. Just that the whole concept of dogging it is ridiculous. There isn't much physical effort in baseball.  

162 games, an extra 3 times sprinting to 1B a game, which is probably more than he would have to do as he gets hits and walks and strikes out, at 4 seconds per sprint, is an extra 32.4 minutes of running a season. 5 minutes a month. Maybe you are right, he'd be gassed.

Yea I said 500 times a year and it might be more if you take plate appearances and minus the K's and HR's  in Manny case thats around 500 to 600 plus times a year. if you want him to sprint out every GO and FO. Now if your going for double and triples than its 60 or 90 yards. Then there's all the times you get a hit or walk or HBP and you have to sprint more to the other bases or to score on those hits or sac flays. Then you throw in all the slides . Did you slide on your elliptical ? Then throw in all the wear and tear from fielding your position and all the air travel , changing time zones. These are all things you left out conveniently

The silliest argument you can make if that you riding your elliptical is comparable to playing ML baseball in all weather conditions

• Love 2