Rick Renteria Signs Contract Extension, length unknown

Sleepy Harold

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea I said 500 times a year and it might be more if you take plate appearances and minus the K's and HR's  in Manny case thats around 500 to 600 plus times a year. if you want him to sprint out every GO and FO. Now if your going for double and triples than its 60 or 90 yards. Then there's all the times you get a hit or walk or HBP and you have to sprint more to the other bases or to score on those hits or sac flays. Then you throw in all the slides . Did you slide on your elliptical ? Then throw in all the wear and tear from fielding your position and all the air travel , changing time zones. These are all things you left out conveniently

The silliest argument you can make if that you riding your elliptical is comparable to playing ML baseball in all weather conditions

We aren't talking about sliding. We are talking about running out routine groundballs and flyballs. The amount of times where he dogs it which I put at 3 times a game, and it's probably less. Having him run out the ball instead, is an extra 5 minutes a month of running, if that. He's a 26 year old professional athlete in superior condition, most likely on a conditioning and nutrition program. If he can't handle that, I don't know why anyone would sign him for multiple years. Hustling to first base on a routine groundball isn't going to gas anyone in the major leagues. And I did mention all those things. These guys fly chartered jets and don't touch their bags. They are delivered to their hotel rooms. The grind of a baseball season is way more mental than physical. 

You must wish for strikeouts and routine grounders instead of doubles and triples so the guys can remain fresh. Unless you are pitching or catching and it's 95 degrees and humid, who gets tired playing a baseball game? 

Edited by Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea I said 500 times a year and it might be more if you take plate appearances and minus the K's and HR's  in Manny case thats around 500 to 600 plus times a year. if you want him to sprint out every GO and FO. Now if your going for double and triples than its 60 or 90 yards. Then there's all the times you get a hit or walk or HBP and you have to sprint more to the other bases or to score on those hits or sac flays. Then you throw in all the slides . Did you slide on your elliptical ? Then throw in all the wear and tear from fielding your position and all the air travel , changing time zones. These are all things you left out conveniently

The silliest argument you can make if that you riding your elliptical is comparable to playing ML baseball in all weather conditions

It is a wonder that baseball players ever get hurt all.

Machado's hustle reminds me of "Garret Anderson" a former Angel player who would go at 90% vs. 110% and ultimately he had a very long career which was largely injury free. Dodger fans are big over-reactors and I think this got a lot of extensive press time, but the reality is Machado is a truly great player who has been on the field the vast majority of his career. The flip-side is Harper, who is an ultra talented player with lots of pizazz who will play his tail out, but has had extended stretches where he misses time (and I think there are times he lets his emotions get the best of him in the sense that he lets those emotions impact his swing/play.  The only thing the two players really have in common is they are both extremely good baseball players, but how they go about it, etc is very much different.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Machado's hustle reminds me of "Garret Anderson" a former Angel player who would go at 90% vs. 110% and ultimately he had a very long career which was largely injury free. Dodger fans are big over-reactors and I think this got a lot of extensive press time, but the reality is Machado is a truly great player who has been on the field the vast majority of his career. The flip-side is Harper, who is an ultra talented player with lots of pizazz who will play his tail out, but has had extended stretches where he misses time (and I think there are times he lets his emotions get the best of him in the sense that he lets those emotions impact his swing/play.  The only thing the two players really have in common is they are both extremely good baseball players, but how they go about it, etc is very much different.  

I don't have a problem with him as a player, and I want the Sox to sign him. I just think running out a ball doesn't require much commitment. Unless they are nursing an injury, there really is no excuse to not run something out.  If you have a reputation for running them out, it will pay off at some point. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a wonder that baseball players ever get hurt all.

It really is a wonder they are able to play more than once or twice a week. The theory that running out routine groundballs will wear someone out is perhaps the most ridiculous argument in this board's history.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We aren't talking about sliding. We are talking about running out routine groundballs and flyballs. The amount of times where he dogs it which I put at 3 times a game, and it's probably less. Having him run out the ball instead, is an extra 5 minutes a month of running, if that. He's a 26 year old professional athlete in superior condition, most likely on a conditioning and nutrition program. If he can't handle that, I don't know why anyone would sign him for multiple years. Hustling to first base on a routine groundball isn't going to gas anyone in the major leagues. And I did mention all those things. These guys fly chartered jets and don't touch their bags. They are delivered to their hotel rooms. The grind of a baseball season is way more mental than physical. 

You must wish for strikeouts and routine grounders instead of doubles and triples so the guys can remain fresh. Unless you are pitching or catching and it's 95 degrees and humid, who gets tired playing a baseball game? 

You don't play as many games as Manny does without dogging it at some point. How many times do you see players getting hurt sprinting to 1st base, running the bases and sliding I would imagine many many many times we have seen it.

I don't know what your point is anyway. If you think Machado is a worthwhile acquisition for the Sox your point about him  not hustling is moot.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It really is a wonder they are able to play more than once or twice a week. The theory that running out routine groundballs will wear someone out is perhaps the most ridiculous argument in this board's history.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

And if someone had made that argument it would be but I didn't. No matter what you say you cannot condense what I said into that one sentence.

If you want to quote what I said and respond to it go ahead. If you are going to use your own words to paraphrase and hyperbolize what I said to make your weak argument look stronger and get a few laughs I can handle it . But know this, a person who has to resort to insults and lies in an otherwise civil discourse to directly turn it into a war of words is reprehensible.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You don't play as many games as Many does without dogging it at some point. How many times do you see players getting hurt sprinting to 1st base, running the bases and sliding I would imagine many many many times we have seen it.

I don't know what your point is anyway. If you think Machado is a worthwhile acquisition for the Sox your point about him  not hustling is moot.

My point was his comments about hustling were stupid. And hustling should be built in. When it costs a game, people who have no problem with it, will have a problem with it. 

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You mean besides an elliptical being equal to playing in the majors?  Come on man.  It obviously isn't nearly as easy as you are making it out to be or position players wouldn't be on the DL on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You mean besides an elliptical being equal to playing in the majors?  Come on man.  It obviously isn't nearly as easy as you are making it out to be or position players wouldn't be on the DL on a regular basis.

I was comparing going about 13 miles an hour on an elliptical for 70 minutes to sprinting to first base a few times a day when he would normally be going half assed.I am sure if you tried it once you would realize there is no question which requires more physical effort. I don't think it's wrong if they ask Manny to run balls out, unless he is nursing some leg injury. Obviously you think that is asking way too much of a major league player. 

Joe Dimaggio was once asked why he always ran hard, and he responded some kid is always seeing him for the first time he owed him his best. It is called being professional. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don’t forget Manny had a major injury earlier in his career on the bases

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I want to see my guys diving into first base every day. 

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was comparing going about 13 miles an hour on an elliptical for 70 minutes to sprinting to first base a few times a day when he would normally be going half assed.I am sure if you tried it once you would realize there is no question which requires more physical effort. I don't think it's wrong if they ask Manny to run balls out, unless he is nursing some leg injury. Obviously you think that is asking way too much of a major league player. 

Joe Dimaggio was once asked why he always ran hard, and he responded some kid is always seeing him for the first time he owed him his best. It is called being professional. 

This is coming from the guy who crabbed about Ricky benching guys for not hustling to first base because they could get hurt.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is coming from the guy who crabbed about Ricky benching guys for not hustling to first base because they could get hurt.

Do you have proof? It is actually one thing I like about his style.

The only reason not to run balls out is if they are playing hurt.

I have crabbed about Sox players not running for years.

This is good though. You obviously are now on the side of this you don't want to be because you want to be against me. So to wiggle out you make something up.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think their is a difference between running out a ball and sprinting out a ball.  

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t forget Manny had a major injury earlier in his career on the bases

Yes while easing up at 1B he slipped on the bag. Hr injured his other knee batting.  Supposedly he had an abnormal knee structure and the surgeries correctef it.

I really find it fascinating how many are against players hustling.

Edited by Dick Allen

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think their is a difference between running out a ball and sprinting out a ball.  

I don't  know. I think you give it your best effort until you are called out.

One hustle thing I don't agree with that the Sox do is they run out infield pop ups and keep running after they hit 1B. If the ball is dropped, they are easy outs at 2B.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes while easing up at 1B he slipped on the bag. Hr injured his other knee batting.  Supposedly he had an abnormal knee structure and the surgeries correctef it.

I really find it fascinating how many are against players hustling.

Not against hustling just not be naive to the fact that a bunch of guys slow up on balls that appear to be outs which they probably are 98% of the time. Your point is still moot . Would you rather have a much less talented players who gives 100% or a guys like Machado who get 5/6 WAR a year his way ? If you don't like his lack of hustle when you see it boo him. But I think you will be cheering  lot more than booing if we are fortunate enough  to get him.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not against hustling just not be naive to the fact that a bunch of guys slow up on balls that appear to be outs which they probably are 98% of the time. Your point is still moot . Would you rather have a much less talented players who gives 100% or a guys like Machado who get 5/6 WAR a year his way ? If you don't like his lack of hustle when you see it boo him. But I think you will be cheering  lot more than booing if we are fortunate enough  to get him.

My point is it is OK in my mind the White Sox or any other team tell him they we will give you $300 million but we really want you to give us that extra 4 or 5 minutes a month. The team will have young players,  and less talented players who can't afford to jake it. You have to hold every healthy player to the same standard. 

• Like 2

My point is it is OK in my mind the White Sox or any other team tell him they we will give you $300 million but we really want you to give us that extra 4 or 5 minutes a month. The team will have young players,  and less talented players who can't afford to jake it. You have to hold every healthy player to the same standard. 

Write Rick Hahn a letter and ask him when he's trying to sell Machado on playing for the White Sox if he's going to say " Gee whiz Manny we really really want you but only if you give us 5 extra minutes by hustling out every routine ground ball and fly out and pop up by sprinting as hard as you can." Thank you and goodnight.

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Write Rick Hahn a letter and ask him when he's trying to sell Machado on playing for the White Sox if he's going to say " Gee whiz Manny we really really want you but only if you give us 5 extra minutes by hustling out every routine ground ball and fly out and pop up by sprinting as hard as you can." Thank you and goodnight.

Whatever. Just don't ever complain at any players half assed effort. They have to slide a d hit and throw and fly. It's a damn near impossible existence. Although I am sure if he is a White Sox, RR will tell him his rule. Joe Maddon has 2 rules. Run hard to 1B and be on time .

if fact AJP said if the Sox were to sign Manny he will be told what is expected of him and running balls out will be on the list. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Whatever. Just don't ever complain at any players half assed effort. They have to slide a d hit and throw and fly. It's a damn near impossible existence. Although I am sure if he is a White Sox, RR will tell him his rule. Joe Maddon has 2 rules. Run hard to 1B and be on time 

I think they need to run it out...not sprint it out. But on close hit balls, they should be going harder.  Basically, I'm not going to rip a guy for not being Adam Eaton on the basepaths. That said, I don't want them to not run at all. There is a healthy middle between those two.  

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Whatever. Just don't ever complain at any players half assed effort. They have to slide a d hit and throw and fly. It's a damn near impossible existence. Although I am sure if he is a White Sox, RR will tell him his rule. Joe Maddon has 2 rules. Run hard to 1B and be on time 

Baez wouldn’t finish a game if Maddon held him to the hustling to first rule