Rick Renteria Signs Contract Extension, length unknown

Sleepy Harold

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think they need to run it out...not sprint it out. But on close hit balls, they should be going harder.  Basically, I'm not going to rip a guy for not being Adam Eaton on the basepaths. That said, I don't want them to not run at all. There is a healthy middle between those two.  

I mentioned a few times in gamethreads when people were comlaining about lack of hustle, in one of the National writers columns back when Ozzie was managing quoted a scout who said they couldn’t get the White Sox players times to 1B because of lack of hustle.

it isn’t like I am going to hate some player because of it, and I know a lot of players do it, but it would be nice if a manager didn’t have to have a rule.i am sure a few White Sox reached base because the opponent was told they run balls out. It can cause a bobble, a bad throw....

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20181111/why-the-white-sox-could-be-contenders-for-harper-machado

• The Sox "secretly" extended Rick Renteria, and I say congratulations to the manager, who turns 57 on Christmas Day.

Renteria has been close to a perfect fit for the White Sox over the past two seasons. Don't pay too much attention to the 129-195 record -- Renteria has been asked to teach more than win.

He has done that, and more of the same is likely coming in 2019.

When the Sox are ready to contend, and 2020 still looks like the year, Renteria will be evaluated on different terms.

[/qote]