Hahn says Eloy will spend most, if not all of the season in Chicago

Jose Abreu

So does rick appease the “if Eloy deserves to break camp then he better” crowd...or does he appease the “rick if you don’t secure the extra year of control in a down year you’re an idiot and need to be fired” crowd?

tough one.  Kind of a presidential decision.  What would you choose

Just now, Jerksticks said:

So does rick appease the “if Eloy deserves to break camp then he better” crowd...or does he appease the “rick if you don’t secure the extra year of control in a down year you’re an idiot and need to be fired” crowd?

1 year @ 27 >>> 3 weeks @ 21 (or whatever the actual numbers are)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

He ought to appease the best for the franchise crowd. 

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is no different than what the Cubs did with Bryant a couple years ago. In hindsight I wish they would've done the same with Kopech as they're now burning a year of control for nothing but it is what it is. 

I disagree as Kopech would have needed surgery anyway. Better to get it out the way now than in 2020 or 2021 when we can win the division. 

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is no different than what the Cubs did with Bryant a couple years ago. In hindsight I wish they would've done the same with Kopech as they're now burning a year of control for nothing but it is what it is. 

They would have fried if they tried to send Kopech to AAA for parts of 3 seasons with the numbers he put up.

8 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

6 hours ago, hi8is said:

This logic makes no sense to me.

In most cases UCL injuries are due to repetitive stress damages, not a one time movement/occurrence. 

So, he likely would have had needed the surgery a couple of starts into 2019.

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I guess now was the best time for Kopech to have the surgery if it had to happen, my point was that I wish the Sox hadn't called him up last season because now they're burning a full year of his MLB service time in a season where he won't even pitch. But like I said, it is what it is.

He had to increase his innings and there was no where else he could do it in September. Expect the same with Cease this year (hopefully he's up sooner though).

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They will. Nothing Hahn said here is stupid. He didn't come out saying hes going to break camp and lose the extra year of control.

Again if Hahn said anything other than Eloy would have a fair chance to win a job in spring training he would have a grievance filed against the team and he would lose.

I think if we sign Harper or Machado, a big if, they may tell Hahn they need Eloy up day 1. These guys may want to compete for a wildcard or division this year, or simply not be a 90 loss team in order to commit. Having Eloy down two weeks may hurt our record a bit. It's easy to say these guys shouldn't have expectations for 2019 but realistically they'd still want to have at least moderate level of success.