Hahn says Eloy will spend most, if not all of the season in Chicago

Jose Abreu

16 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

I don’t understand Fegan reporting this. Everyone knows why he wasn’t called up this year, and everyone knows why it will be after April 15 when he’s called up next year. Hahn’s 2 cents on Jimenez now are worthless.

Well it truly might be the beginning of the season. Why ?

Let's say the off season is very successful . You get either Harper or Machado and you sign a top line starting pitcher or two and a few relievers and Donaldson for a few years. That might signal the rebuild is over. If all that happens then every game starting in 2019 means something  since Cleveland will have some free agents losses and may trade other crucial pieces. If the Sox can stay neck and neck with Cleveland they can add pieces at the deadline. Having Eloy for a full season rather than missing a month might be the different between making or not making the playoffs.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's say the off season is very successful . You get either Harper or Machado and you sign a top line starting pitcher or two and a few relievers and Donaldson for a few years. That might signal the rebuild is over. If all that happens then every game starting in 2019 means something  since Cleveland will have some free agents losses and may trade other crucial pieces. If the Sox can stay neck and neck with Cleveland they can add pieces at the deadline. Having Eloy for a full season rather than missing a month might be the different between making or not making the playoffs.

I'm ok with it in this scenario since they would be playing a lot better than we would expect giving us something exciting to watch for the first time since 2012.

Looking at it now, if Eloy comes up on April 15th, he will be missing 14 regular season games. You have to figure about 2-3 will be PPD and made up during the summer at some point. They play 3 in KC, 2 in Cleveland, 6 at home against Seattle and Tampa (kinda wish they were on the road for these series this early in the year), and then 3 in New York.

Edited by soxfan2014

How are people angry about this? Eloy Jimenez is a millionaire, based entirely on the fact that people think he will one day be good at his job. If he does his job well he’ll become a hundred times richer. His employer, a company that spends between $70-150M on employee salaries each year, is choosing deploy Eloy in such a way as that they maximize his productivity under their employment, in accordance with the labor rules collectively bargained by the employer and the players’ union. 

If you are angry at teams trying to keep production cost low, you should also be angry at players when they hold out for the most money. Both parties are acting selfishly! I wanted to see Magglio Ordonez play for the White Sox longer, how dare he abandon me to make more money in Detroit?

But really you should be angry at neither of them because you’d do exactly the same thing if you were in either set of shoes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You still wait the 15 frickin' days.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And if you miss the playoff by 1 or 2 games you're not the one having to deal with the backlash of we wouldn't have missed the playoffs if we had Eloy for those 14 games. Once you decide the rebuild is over every game/season counts. Doubt our off season will be so spectacular that we are contenders in 2019 but if it is then having Eloy for every one of those games is important and even more important if he end up putting up really good numbers.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And if you miss the playoff by 1 or 2 games you're not the one having to deal with the backlash of we wouldn't have missed the playoffs if we had Eloy for those 14 games. Once you decide the rebuild is over every game/season counts. Doubt our off season will be so spectacular that we are contenders in 2019 but if it is then having Eloy for every one of those games is important and even more important if he end up putting up really good numbers.

I mean, I would probably acknowledge that it sucked not having him early so that we could have had a few more wins or that it sucks that we didn't win more while he was here. But it's still the right call.

Edited by soxfan2014

26 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Looking at it now, if Eloy comes up on April 15th, he will be missing 14 regular season games. You have to figure about 2-3 will be PPD and made up during the summer at some point. They play 3 in KC, 2 in Cleveland, 6 at home against Seattle and Tampa (kinda wish they were on the road for these series this early in the year), and then 3 in New York.

So is it the actual date or the number of games played that determines the service clock?

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let me say this unequivocally.

There is nothing the White Sox can do this off season to be a playoff team in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

So is it the actual date or the number of games played that determines the service clock?

It is quite literally when you get to the point where you accrue less than 162 days on the major league roster in one season.  I want to say there are somewhere around 175 days (that number might be off by a couple, but close anyway) in a regular season.  If you accrue 162 days on a roster, that is considered "1 year of service".  If you accrue 161 days, it is not a year, and there for the team still controls you for a whole other year.

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or, keeping making the effort to buy out all his arb years and hopefully one year of FA this winter. If he bites, he comes north on Opening Day. I'm sure the Sox have made overtures so far and Eloy has resisted, but it doesn't hurt to keep trying.

26 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I mean, I would probably acknowledge that it sucked not having him early so that we could have had a few more wins or that it sucks that we didn't win more while he was here. But it's still the right call.

This x1,000,000.  

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let me say this unequivocally.

There is nothing the White Sox can do this off season to be a playoff team in 2019.

That's what I think too because it would take a helluva off season. But say you get a typical Machado season of 5/6 WAR. Say Eloy puts up3/4 WAR. They sign Corbin/Eovaldi/Happ or 2 of the 3 and they put up really good numbers . Let say Donaldson puts up  3/4 WAR for us ,Moncada puts up 3/4/5 WAR  They sign another good reliever or 2. All those FA's combined probably don't cost as much as both Harper and Machado. Then how do feel about it ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's what I think too because it would take a helluva off season. But say you get a typical Machado season of 5/6 WAR. Say Eloy puts up3/4 WAR. They sign Corbin/Eovaldi/Happ or 2 of the 3 and they put up really good numbers . Let say Donaldson puts up  3/4 WAR for us ,Moncada puts up 3/4/5 WAR  They sign another good reliever or 2. All those FA's combined probably don't cost as much as both Harper and Machado. Then how do feel about it ?

I think if every single thing went right this season, we probably top out around 85 wins.