Hahn says Eloy will spend most, if not all of the season in Chicago

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

and that very might well be enough to win this trash division, especially if the Indians rebuild. 

You'd need...

-Incredible health from players who haven't remained healthy on the average, and those who have.

-The Sox to hit the free agency market extremely hard AND for those players all to have historical or better than historical seasons

-Huge growth from all of the core players such as Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Anderson, etc

-Big years out of the kids in the pen from at least 4 or 5 of them, including being able to slot a 90% conversion closer and key set up men.

-Instant contributions from Eloy and any other rookies called up.

-The Indians do not sell off, or do not sell very many core pieces at all

-No one else emerges from the pack with a miracle year.

We are talking about a 3rd standard deviation scenario here, maybe more.  Again, I am pretty comfortable of saying 0 chance that the White Sox are a playoff team in 2019.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you include adding pieces at the trade deadline? 90 wins could easily win the division in 2019.

Realistically if the Sox spent $500 or $600 million this off season, and added $75 to $100 million to the payroll this year in an effort to compete would they still be deadline shopping?

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But having Trout/Eloy in for 2 weeks or 2 really hot weeks versus his replacement could theoretically.

Certainly. But would you sell a year of prime Eloy for the less than 1% chance that both (1) the White Sox defy all odds, hit on all cylinders, and make a historic run at the playoffs, and (2) Eloy goes bananas in his literal first taste of major league action, to the extent that he has a two weeks period as productive as any two week period in history?

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically if the Sox spent $500 or $600 million this off season, and added $75 to $100 million to the payroll this year in an effort to compete would they still be deadline shopping?

They could be if its a close race . Most serious contenders do don't they because of injuries or weaknesses or bolstering depth. Even the mighty Red So did with Eovaldi and Pearce and those guys were vital adds. Depends on what you have left to spend.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Certainly. But would you sell a year of prime Eloy for the less than 1% chance that both (1) the White Sox defy all odds, hit on all cylinders, and make a historic run at the playoffs, and (2) Eloy goes bananas in his literal first taste of major league action, to the extent that he has a two weeks period as productive as any two week period in history?

I'm not sure because if the window is open right away it might not be open for that 7th year. Alot can happen by his last year. You never know if a player can make it that far if he drives around the DR a lot in the off season.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not sure because if the window is open right away it might not be open for that 7th year.

It might not, but I’d think it would be substantially more likely than the first scenario.

And if the window is closing, then it makes Eloy a more valuable trade asset. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And if you miss the playoff by 1 or 2 games you're not the one having to deal with the backlash of we wouldn't have missed the playoffs if we had Eloy for those 14 games. Once you decide the rebuild is over every game/season counts. Doubt our off season will be so spectacular that we are contenders in 2019 but if it is then having Eloy for every one of those games is important and even more important if he end up putting up really good numbers.

The idea that this Sox team is 2 weeks of Eloy Jimenez away from the playoffs is absurd. 

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It might not, but I’d think it would be substantially more likely than the first scenario.

And if the window is closing, then it makes Eloy a more valuable trade asset. 

Well i did edit what you quoted to include an unlikely death in that time. So much can happen in 6 years I'd rather take his early years  than bank on still being in contention 6 years down the road . Its most likely that when the window opens we'll be lucky to contend for a world title in 3 of those years with the less likely scenario being at the end of his contract. So if the window opens in 2019 make the most of it. Again I really don't see it happening next year but it could. I'll talk to you more about it when I see how the off season goes. In all likelihood it'll be best to wait til April 15th.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They could be if its a close race . Most serious contenders do don't they because of injuries or weaknesses or bolstering depth. Even the mighty Red So did with Eovaldi and Pearce and those guys were vital adds. Depends on what you have left to spend.

Honestly, even if the Sox went nuts in FA, it always seems like that the team that wins the winter gets off to a slow start.  I don't know if it is the need to get different and unfamiliar players comfortable with each other or what, but it never seems to work out.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

The idea that this Sox team is 2 weeks of Eloy Jimenez away from the playoffs is absurd. 

And i would have agreed with that a few weeks ago but now there's talk of adding Machado and some starting pitching. All depends on how the off season goes. I think there's a 95% chance it's April 15th . Just throwing possibilities out there . Gotta find the silver lining where I can.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, even if the Sox went nuts in FA, it always seems like that the team that wins the winter gets off to a slow start.  I don't know if it is the need to get different and unfamiliar players comfortable with each other or what, but it never seems to work out.

Well at least you aren't dismissing it completely now , That's all I ask.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And i would have agreed with that a few weeks ago but now there's talk of adding Machado and some starting pitching. All depends on how the off season goes. I think there's a 95% chance it's April 15th . Just throwing possibilities out there . Gotta find the silver lining where I can.

Machado doesn't turn this Sox team into a playoff team either. We're still a couple years away. Relax, and look at the bigger picture. 

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well at least you aren't dismissing it completely now , That's all I ask.

Honestly, I really am.  Even trying to paint a scenario that "works" has so many major holes in it, it really feels close enough to impossible to have no reason to entertain as a possible reality.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Red Sox were already  a 90 win team though.  We are a 100 loss team.

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Machado doesn't turn this Sox team into a playoff team either. We're still a couple years away. Relax, and look at the bigger picture. 

If you had read the rest of my posts I mentioned Machado, 2 starters maybe 2 relievers, adding at the deadline and Moncada improvement ..If Hahn says it could be at the beginning of the season why can't I ? If  its just lip service by Hahn  I'm sure if he's willing to spend a lot this off season he has envisioned that the window could open sooner than expected . Having Eloy for  14 or so games might make a difference it might not, probably wont . There are plenty of people on the board drooling at the slight possibility of getting Machado and Harper .

All I'm saying is get one, then the pitching and go from there and see how the rest of the off season goes. Right now nothing is written in stone.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Red Sox were already  a 90 win team though.  We are a 100 loss team.

I'm not arguing that but with some FA agent signings , a good Eloy and improvement from Moncada ,and some other youngsters it's not impossible, Improbable ? Hell yes . We can revisit this in February when you are most likely right but until then I can dream a little.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not arguing that but with some FA agent signings , a good Eloy and improvement from Monacada ,and some other youngsters it's not impossible, Improbable ? Hell yes . We can revisit this in February when you are most likely right but until then I can dream a little.

Dream away brother.

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You'd need...

-Incredible health from players who haven't remained healthy on the average, and those who have.

-The Sox to hit the free agency market extremely hard AND for those players all to have historical or better than historical seasons

-Huge growth from all of the core players such as Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Anderson, etc

-Big years out of the kids in the pen from at least 4 or 5 of them, including being able to slot a 90% conversion closer and key set up men.

-Instant contributions from Eloy and any other rookies called up.

-The Indians do not sell off, or do not sell very many core pieces at all

-No one else emerges from the pack with a miracle year.

We are talking about a 3rd standard deviation scenario here, maybe more.  Again, I am pretty comfortable of saying 0 chance that the White Sox are a playoff team in 2019.

I'll give it 1-5% .Still very long odds but I'm open to the possibility . If they do make the playoffs I'm  sure you would happily have your "0 chance" post shown all around here.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll give it 1-5% .Still very long odds but I'm open to the possibility . If they do make the playoffs I'm  sure you would happily have your "0 chance" post shown all around here.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would absolutely own it and celebrate being wrong.

Ha, any time I say anything pessimistic or predict things to go poorly, in the back of my mind I think "man would I love to be proven wrong."

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I mean, I would probably acknowledge that it sucked not having him early so that we could have had a few more wins or that it sucks that we didn't win more while he was here. But it's still the right call.

What if the stars you want to sign this offseason say they want Eloy up at the start to sign? If I were either, I would definitely tell the Sox if you want me, you better have an outside chance at making the playoffs next year, or at least make an effort to have that shot. This may be why all of these reports are coming out about us trying to get much better quickly.