Hahn says Eloy will spend most, if not all of the season in Chicago

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What if the stars you want to sign this offseason say they want Eloy up at the start to sign? If I were either, I would definitely tell the Sox if you want me, you better have an outside chance at making the playoffs next year, or at least make an effort to have that shot. This may be why all of these reports are coming out about us trying to get much better quickly. 

Doubtful a player would send an ultimatum about a prospect like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Doubtful a player would send an ultimatum about a prospect like that. 

When you are worth 350 million and tell an organization that you want to semi compete next year in order to sign, there are many implications that follow. If I were Harper or Machado, I'd have no problem telling the Sox to bring him up because I don't care about his service time. I'd have an opt out after 5 years and if the Sox aren't where I want them to be moving forward, I can leave. It may sound harsh, but I have other options to sign with, so I wouldn't sign with a team looking to lose 90 games year 1. 

10 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think if we sign Harper or Machado, a big if, they may tell Hahn they need Eloy up day 1. These guys may want to compete for a wildcard or division this year, or simply not be a 90 loss team in order to commit. Having Eloy down two weeks may hurt our record a bit. It's easy to say these guys shouldn't have expectations for 2019 but realistically they'd still want to have at least moderate level of success. 

If we signed Machado AND Harper, would we be a playoff contender now? I say yes. If we signed one, would we be a contender now? I say yes.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

What if the stars you want to sign this offseason say they want Eloy up at the start to sign? If I were either, I would definitely tell the Sox if you want me, you better have an outside chance at making the playoffs next year, or at least make an effort to have that shot. This may be why all of these reports are coming out about us trying to get much better quickly. 

When has that ever happened? That is an absurd notion. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder if Machado and Harper even know who Eloy is. I doubt they would be issuing that kind of ultimatum. 

Come on now, they aren't stupid. Any team they want to go to they will review the roster. I wouldn't doubt anything when dealing with Boras. You can give ultimatums when you are that coveted as if they are not met, you can bounce somewhere else. The Sox would be the one's left in the cold. 

2 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

When has that ever happened? That is an absurd notion. 

I think everyone is misinterpreting the point here. They wouldn't put a gun to Hahn's head and tell him he better bring up Eloy. But if Harper doesn't want to lose 100 games, he may tell the Sox he wants the best team possible out there day 1. I'm also sure Hahn would use Eloy coming in April as a selling point to Harper. We also don't know that requests like this have not hapened, as we aren't in negotiations. It was rumored LeBron told teams he wanted his entourage to be on flights, part of Derrick Rose's agreement with addidas was having family and friends getting jobs. Stuff like this happens when you are a star and everyone wants you. 

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Come on now, they aren't stupid. Any team they want to go to they will review the roster. I wouldn't doubt anything when dealing with Boras. You can give ultimatums when you are that coveted as if they are not met, you can bounce somewhere else. The Sox would be the one's left in the cold. 

Depends on how hard Eloy does the elliptical. 

58 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Yeah, sure. And Jon Lester didn't know who Kris Bryant was when he signed with the Cubs. Are you serious?

Yes I am serious. They trained in FL, so probably never saw him, and probably don’t  follow the White Sox minor leagues too much. And Bryant had to go back to the minors for 2 weeks when Lester signed, so apparently there was no ultimatum.

Edited by Dick Allen

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes I am serious. They trained in FL, so probably never saw him, and probably don’t  follow the White Sox minor leagues too much. And Bryant had to go back to the minors for 2 weeks when Lester signed, so apparently there was no ultimatum.

I apologize, my post was overly condescending. I think these guys know of the top prospects in the game, such as Eloy and Vlad Jr. If not, their agent will quickly make them aware of the top prospects on the team offering big-time dollars.