White sox active in starting pitching market

Whisox05

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is wrong with Corbin? 

Significant injury history, velocity was down this year, had best year of his career by ramping up slider usage. Thin market should inflate his value.   

Good pitcher, but not a profile that you want to buy at market rate a year or two ahead of when you really need him. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

56 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Significant injury history, velocity was down this year, had best year of his career by ramping up slider usage. Thin market should inflate his value.   

Good pitcher, but not a profile that you want to buy at market rate a year or two ahead of when you really need him. 

I can buy that. I don't like the idea of spending big money on FA pitchers. Just think you have a bigger chance of "bust" vs. hitters. No idea if the stats back that up or not.  

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can buy that. I don't like the idea of spending big money on FA pitchers. Just think you have a bigger chance of "bust" vs. hitters. No idea if the stats back that up or not.  

Absolutely right. It’s not necessarily a free agency thing, it’s just a pitcher thing.

Szymborski always says “pitchers don’t decline, they break.”

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly I think the order is different,  but I said a few months ago that if they got a top guy, the odds of signing more free agents goes up, not down. If they sign Machado, they move the timeline forward.  If not, they stick with the old timeline. 

I honestly think it could be either way. A selling point to a Harper or Machado may rest on them 1st showing them they are serious about contending . The bad part is if they sign a front line starting pitcher or 2 and then don't get Machado or Harper it means you go to plan B which might be Ok lets see how many free agent are left after Machado or Harper signs.  If I had to try to figure out who signs 1st of Harper /Machado I'd say it's Machado . Harper is a Boras player and Boras some times drags out signings. If both wait til January or Feb to sign that really puts the Sox in a tough position.

If its the Sox plan to contend this year then they have to sign other players anyway so getting the less significant pieces 1st might be crucial.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I honestly think it could be either way. A selling point to a Harper or Machado may rest on them 1st showing them they are serious about contending . The bad part is if they sign a front line starting pitcher or 2 and then don't get Machado or Harper it means you go to plan B which might be Ok lets see how many free agent are left after Machado or Harper signs.  If I had to try to figure out who signs 1st of Harper /Machado I'd say it's Machado . Harper is a Boras player and Boras some times drags out signings. If both wait til January or Feb to sign that really puts the Sox in a tough position.

If its the Sox plan to contend this year then they have to sign other players anyway so getting the less significant pieces 1st might be crucial.

Pomeranz could be a solid buy low candidate if healthy?

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Thing is we're not sure yet if its a year or 2 too early, If the Sox think signing Machado opens up the window then Eloy starts the season on the team and they go for other free agents like pitching. This just confirms in my mind that there's no way they get both Machado and Harper. You get one and build around them either immediately or next year for sure to give the minor leaguers a chance to build more value for trades.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I brought up his name a week or 2 ago but that was before I thought they were serious abuut signing Machado. Now I think they aim higher and if you can get Pomeranz cheap you still could.

Yeah I'm not sure how serious their interest is in Corbin (and maybe Keuchel?), but I think I would lean more towards upside type of guys like Pomeranz, Gio (who's just a year removed from finishing in the top CY Young votes) who you might be able to flip and help fill the rotation for a season, and even Kikuchi (spelling?). Regardless on if they sign Machado or not, I'd still handle the pitching this way as I would prefer not to sign Corbin and Keuchel.

Edited by soxfan2014

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I brought up his name a week or 2 ago but that was before I thought they were serious abuut signing Machado. Now I think they aim higher and if you can get Pomeranz cheap you still could.

While I understand the Sox interest in premium free agents like Machado/Harper, I do not necessarily think high priced starters or relievers should be in the Cards for us right now. 

2019 is not a contention season, almost no matter what we do this offseason. I think bridge type players and deals could make sense to help round out our roster, but realistically 2020 is when we should be looking to contend as more of our young talent should be mlb ready. 

The starting pitching free agent market after 2019 is actually looking pretty solid at this point, we might be able to snag better options then?

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

While I understand the Sox interest in premium free agents like Machado/Harper, I do not necessarily think high priced starters or relievers should be in the Cards for us right now. 

2019 is not a contention season, almost no matter what we do this offseason. I think bridge type players and deals could make sense to help round out our roster, but realistically 2020 is when we should be looking to contend as more of our young talent should be mlb ready. 

The starting pitching free agent market after 2019 is actually looking pretty solid at this point, we might be able to snag better options then?

Who from that group do you like? Kluber's option would likely get picked up by the Indians (or any team he could be traded to if the Indians get serious about that and do it).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who from that group do you like? Kluber's option would likely get picked up by the Indians (or any team he could be traded to if the Indians get serious about that and do it).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/2019-20-mlb-free-agents.html

Chris Archer (31) — $9MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout
Jake Arrieta (34) — can opt out of remaining one year and $20MM unless Phillies exercise a two-year, $40MM option
Homer Bailey (34) — $25MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Madison Bumgarner (30)
Carlos Carrasco (33) — $9.5MM club option with a $662.5K buyout
Andrew Cashner (33) — $10MM vesting/player option
Jhoulys Chacin (32)
Yu Darvish (33) — can opt out of remaining four years and $81MM
Gerrit Cole (29)
Mike Fiers (35)
Kyle Gibson (32)
Sonny Gray (30)
Cole Hamels (36)
Felix Hernandez (34)
Rich Hill (40)
Corey Kluber (34) — $13.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Wade LeBlanc (35) — $5MM club option with a $450K buyout
Miles Mikolas (31)
Shelby Miller (29)
Ivan Nova (33)
Jake Odorizzi (30)
Rick Porcello (31)
Jose Quintana (31) — $11.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Clayton Richard (36)
Tanner Roark (33)
CC Sabathia (39)
Chris Sale (31)
Drew Smyly (29)
Stephen Strasburg (31) — can opt out of remaining four years and $100MM
Julio Teheran (29) — $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jason Vargas (37) — $8MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Justin Verlander (37)
Michael Wacha (28)
Adam Wainwright (38)
Zack Wheeler (30)
Alex Wood (29)

Could be possibilities? 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/2019-20-mlb-free-agents.html

Chris Archer (31) — $9MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout
Jake Arrieta (34) — can opt out of remaining one year and $20MM unless Phillies exercise a two-year, $40MM option
Homer Bailey (34) — $25MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Madison Bumgarner (30)
Carlos Carrasco (33) — $9.5MM club option with a $662.5K buyout
Andrew Cashner (33) — $10MM vesting/player option
Jhoulys Chacin (32)
Yu Darvish (33) — can opt out of remaining four years and $81MM
Gerrit Cole (29)
Mike Fiers (35)
Kyle Gibson (32)
Sonny Gray (30)
Cole Hamels (36)
Felix Hernandez (34)
Rich Hill (40)
Corey Kluber (34) — $13.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Wade LeBlanc (35) — $5MM club option with a $450K buyout
Miles Mikolas (31)
Shelby Miller (29)
Ivan Nova (33)
Jake Odorizzi (30)
Rick Porcello (31)
Jose Quintana (31) — $11.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Clayton Richard (36)
Tanner Roark (33)
CC Sabathia (39)
Chris Sale (31)
Drew Smyly (29)
Stephen Strasburg (31) — can opt out of remaining four years and $100MM
Julio Teheran (29) — $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jason Vargas (37) — $8MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Justin Verlander (37)
Michael Wacha (28)
Adam Wainwright (38)
Zack Wheeler (30)
Alex Wood (29)

Could be possibilities? 

Yeah there is a lot to like. I'd rather spend on pitching next year than this year when there are more options.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah there is a lot to like. I'd rather spend on pitching next year than this year when there are more options.

Exactly^

Give me a bridge, like Pomeranz, to get me to more free agents next year that are plug and play options

30 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I agree. Outside of Kikuchi, who I think would be a great  fit, I'd prefer they look for short term bounceback pitching candidates as opposed to paying top dollar for the best pithcing on the market, which still isn't that great.