White sox active in starting pitching market

Whisox05

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

James Shields come on back 

If we decide not to compete in 2019, why not? We need innings eaters. One year, 4 million with incentives. He's probably worth that just as a good influence on the staff.

Edited by greg775

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope this is some sort of sick joke.

Yes and no. Yes because I'm being a tad bit sarcastic and I think Hahn strikes out big in free agency. But really I'd prefer just innings eaters at this point. But I think we're a ways away from paying that kind of money for a free agent. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Yes and no. Yes because I'm being a tad bit sarcastic and I think Hahn strikes out big in free agency. But really I'd prefer just innings eaters at this point. But I think we're a ways away from paying that kind of money for a free agent. 

Even if we decide to settle for one year deals, I hope to god we add someone with some level of upside.  I’d be enraged if we wasted another 200 innings on James fucking Shields.

The odds are stacked against starting pitchers with 2 TJ surgeries...especially with max velocity styles.  I tried to find it, but there aren’t more than a handful of starters who have thrown 250 or more total innings after a second surgery.  Something like 2 or 3.

They would be better off finding a solid 2/3 guy with a repeatable delivery or going all-in on someone like Cole when the timing is better.

I get the point, would you rather have two Eeovaldi’s or one Corbin, for example...spread out your risk...but it’s those $45-60 million contracts that all added up over the last decade to hamstring the club financially.

If we’re going to fail, at least do it swinging for the fences on the caliber of players who are not lightning in a bottle, everything has to go exactly right...maybe if we didn’t have so many young pitchers already in the “high risk” category it would be a different story, or if we could easily afford an eventual $160+ million payroll.

Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

Can scratch one name off the list.

Here's another name you can scratch off the list of pitchers:  Michael Ynoa, the same guy our GM included in the Samardzija trade.  Hahn went so far as to say he would not have made that trade without Ynoa.  KC just signed him to minor league deal.

Apparently Hahn mentioned to our old friend Bruce Levine that they’d like to add another starting pitcher and hinted that right now Banuelos could be the favorite for the #5 spot.

Assuming they want to address this via free agency, below are the highest ranked starters per MLBTradeRumors:

• 04) Keuchel - 4/$82K (QO)
  • 27) Gonzalez - 2/$24M
  • 39) Holland - 2/$15M
  • 42) Miley - 2/$12M
  • 49) Santana - 1/$6M
  • 50) Pomeranz - 1/$6M

Any of these guys of interest?  I think Pomeranz on a cheap one-year deal makes a ton of sense regardless of what we do with the whales.  If we do add a whale (or two), I might be able to convince myself to add Gio instead, even if it requires a two year commitment.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Apparently Hahn mentioned to our old friend Bruce Levine that they’d like to add another starting pitcher and hinted that right now Banuelos could be the favorite for the #5 spot.

Assuming they want to address this via free agency, below are the highest ranked starters per MLBTradeRumors:

• 27) Gonzalez - 2/$24M
  • 39) Holland - 2/$15M
  • 42) Miley - 2/$12M
  • 49) Santana - 1/$6M
  • 50) Pomeranz - 1/$6M

Any of these guys of interest?  I think Pomeranz on a cheap one-year deal makes a ton of sense regardless of what we do with the whales.  If we do add a whale (or two), I might be able to convince myself to add Gio instead, even if it requires a two year commitment.

Gio, Miley, or Pomeranz, please and thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• 27) Gonzalez - 2/$24M
  • 39) Holland - 2/$15M
  • 42) Miley - 2/$12M
  • 49) Santana - 1/$6M
  • 50) Pomeranz - 1/$6M

In that list, I would go Miley or Pomeranz.  Keuchal perhaps at 25% off of that price."
I would buy puts on Marwin Gonzalez, if such things were available.  And Holland

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

In that list, I would go Miley or Pomeranz.  Keuchal perhaps at 25% off of that price."
I would buy puts on Marwin Gonzalez, if such things were available.  And Holland

Surprised you want to sign the dreaded vets instead of rolling with Banuelos, Covey and Stephens for the 5 spot. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Surprised you want to sign the dreaded vets instead of rolling with Banuelos, Covey and Stephens for the 5 spot. 

Covey has so much movement on that 93-94 mph two seamer or whatever it is when he is on. He can look great with that thing. It looks like trash the majority of the time though. Hopefully he can be a more effective bullpen piece.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Covey has so much movement on that 93-94 mph two seamer or whatever it is when he is on. He can look great with that thing. It looks like trash the majority of the time though. Hopefully he can be a more effective bullpen piece.

I think Covey could be fine as a long man/spot starter. I think that is where he has to carve out his niche in the bigs, though. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's called declining vets, such as 33 year old with .678 OPS.  At least that one  wasn't traded for. Or paying career year price.

Still, it is a  lot better signing them, declining or otherwise, than trading young players for them.
Re the pitchers, that's Gio ...he'd be okay but that price is high.

Edited by GreenSox