White sox active in starting pitching market

Whisox05

4 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

If they'd take someone in the Sox 12-20 range of prospects as the headliner, sure.

He will definitely cost more than that. The dude has very solid stats. The Sox could always deal him during the trade deadline or after this season, but he won't come cheap

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Paxton makes no sense because of the prospects he’d cost...only a move for fully “all in” teams.

Unless we are also signing Harper or Machado, which is unknowable.

I think some of these players the Sox are in on are in case they sign Harper or Machado. I think they have a drastic plan A or B and that plan C is much different from those two. Plan C is probably more ‘pull the reins back’ in terms of what types of FAs they go for if they can land a big fish

I'd rather have Corbin just because we don't have to give up prospects for him + Paxton is one of the most injured pitchers that comes to mind (from fantasy baseball experience).

With that being said, if we somehow got Paxton, I'd LOVE watching him pitch, that guy strikes out everyone. I'd be his number one fan. 

Both are risky, but both represent huge benefits. Obviously, neither of them matter worth a damn if we don't get Harper and/or Machado this offseason. 

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'd rather have Corbin just because we don't have to give up prospects for him + Paxton is one of the most injured pitchers that comes to mind (from fantasy baseball experience).

With that being said, if we somehow got Paxton, I'd LOVE watching him pitch, that guy strikes out everyone. I'd be his number one fan. 

Both are risky, but both represent huge benefits. Obviously, neither of them matter worth a damn if we don't get Harper and/or Machado this offseason. 

Who wouldn't love a Canadian pitcher with a maple leaf tat nicknamed the Big Maple. Even eagles love him. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/bald-eagle-mistakes-james-paxton-for-a-real-big-maple-tree-during-pregame/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Paxton really doesn’t make any sense for us.  Neither does Corbin.  I’d rather just go after Kikuchi.  He’s exactly the type of arm we should be rolling the dice on given our financial situation.

What kind of contract do you think Kikuchi will get? I don't know all that much about him.

The projection is in 2 years all SP should be in house options. Guys like Keuchel, Corbin, even the Japanese player will be looking for term. No way should we be remotely involved with Big Maple, as that would undue the rebuild. I could see the Sox going for Happ or maybe short term deals with Gio, Miley, Harvey, Ed.Jackson and Cahill as filler gaps. Not enamored with any of those guys, but we need a bridge to 2020. 

Happ is drawing interest in the market. So the  price may bid up. Will he get a 3-year deal? He should NOT with the Sox. I don't know the ins and outs, but the Sox DO need a starting pitcher or two for next year, but trading for one makes no sense and the best F/As won't come to the Sox without a huge overpay. Who is a game changer? 

If the Sox are going to break the bank I say go get Manny and groom our arms. 

34 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

What kind of contract do you think Kikuchi will get? I don't know all that much about him.

Here’s a nice little write-up on Kikuchi:

http://dodgersdigest.com/2018/11/06/scouting-report-yusei-kikuchi/

As for a potential contract, it’s really hard to gauge.  MLBTraderumors has him getting 6/$42M + an $8M release fee, while FG’s crowdsourcing project has him at 4/$52M + a ~$10M fee.  I think FG is probably closer to reality but that’s just me speculating.

16 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

https://sodomojo.com/2018/11/11/seattle-mariners-3-more-suitors-james-paxton/

The package they have for Paxton from the Sox is Dunning and Collins. 

Not sure Paxton makes complete sense, but for that package, while losing Dunning would really hurt, and Collins as well, I would have to consider that move.  It doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Not sure Paxton makes complete sense, but for that package, while losing Dunning would really hurt, and Collins as well, I would have to consider that move.  It doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

It doesn’t seem unreasonable per se, but still not something we should do.  Collins still has an elite batters eye & 70 grade raw power.  Even if he doesn’t pan out at catcher, his offensive seems like it should play at 1B/DH with the juiced ball.  And Dunning is one of the higher floor pitching prospects in the game, health permitting.  Just doesn’t make sense for us to move them for a guy under control for two years.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It doesn’t seem unreasonable per se, but still not something we should do.  Collins still has an elite batters eye & 70 grade raw power.  Even if he doesn’t pan out at catcher, his offensive seems like it should play at 1B/DH with the juiced ball.  And Dunning is one of the higher floor pitching prospects in the game, health permitting.  Just doesn’t make sense for us to move them for a guy under control for two years.

This is were I'm at with Paxton. Guy is a stud SP when healthy, but that would be an awfully risky move to get a guy for only 2 years coming off of a 100 loss season.

While it's awesome and sexy to be in the F/A market, if you're not close, whats the friggin point? This team is NOWHERE close to Boston and Houston (not to mention NYY, Cleveland) and if you put Big Maple AND Machado on this team we're still not in their class. 

• Thanks 1

So we would trade for Paxton, HOPE he doesn't get injured over the course of 2019 or 2020, then TRY to get two better prospects than Dunning/Collins back in return at one of the next two trade deadlines (or next off-season) if he can get on a run where he's one of the five best pitchers in the AL?

Sounds like a plan where absolutely nothing could go awry.

I guess if they know for a fact that Collins can't catch and Dunning won't stay healthy...that's about the only way it makes sense, and all of Paxton's medicals actually show no red flags.

Not that he isn’t worth Collins and Dunning, I wouldn’t make this move unless we sign Machado or Harper. Pitchers arms are volatile as we’ve learned with guys in the system. I think Dunning is going to be awesome. Id rather spend money on a pitcher than give up top prospects. I’ll have to sit on this and think because prospects flop most of the time anyways. 

27 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Not that he isn’t worth Collins and Dunning, I wouldn’t make this move unless we sign Machado or Harper. Pitchers arms are volatile as we’ve learned with guys in the system. I think Dunning is going to be awesome. Id rather spend money on a pitcher than give up top prospects. I’ll have to sit on this and think because prospects flop most of the time anyways. 

Yeah, I wasn't advocating for it, just saying it is interesting.  And certainly not unless they get one of the big fish.  Even still the 2 years of control is still concerning.  

56 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, I wasn't advocating for it, just saying it is interesting.  And certainly not unless they get one of the big fish.  Even still the 2 years of control is still concerning.  

Hahn is not going to trade prospects for only 2 years of control. I can see a prospect for prospect trade but prospects will be given every chance to develop into core pieces. Right now we can buy whoever we want without prospects being the currency.

Sign some FA's to 1/2/3 maybe even a 4 yr deal depending on position and they can either be used to win or traded to make room for the prospects. That way payroll may start out high but get lower when the prospects fill in . If we trade the FA's down the road they can be used to fill gaps on the 25 or get more prospects and free up payroll for guys in arbitration years. and keep the window open for a longer period of time.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
for replaces or in last sentence

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s a nice little write-up on Kikuchi:

http://dodgersdigest.com/2018/11/06/scouting-report-yusei-kikuchi/

As for a potential contract, it’s really hard to gauge.  MLBTraderumors has him getting 6/$42M + an $8M release fee, while FG’s crowdsourcing project has him at 4/$52M + a ~$10M fee.  I think FG is probably closer to reality but that’s just me speculating.

That write-up doesn't really shine a positive light on him. Sounds like he could be the lefty version of Kenta Maeda. Wouldn't pay upwards of 50 million for that.

Edited by Whitesox27

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Ah, you’re good man. I was just kind of stating my case. I’m not trying to hoard prospects but this team as it’s currently built is not ready to be trading prospects for MLB players.  

On 11/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I think some of these players the Sox are in on are in case they sign Harper or Machado. I think they have a drastic plan A or B and that plan C is much different from those two. Plan C is probably more ‘pull the reins back’ in terms of what types of FAs they go for if they can land a big fish

Did you mean to say "if they can't land a big fish instead of "can" because you only pull the reins back in a plan C if you can't land one of the big fish. If you land the big fish then you almost have to continue  getting more free agents because getting that big fish moves the timeline for the rebuild up especially if them landing the big fish comes with a fairly early opt out.