White sox active in starting pitching market

Whisox05

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The 'Corbin is White Sox top target' stuff never made sense to me and it appears to not have had much relevance.

I am sure they'd love to have him, but whoever signs him is going to be disappointed in a few years (or less), so I am glad it won't be our Sox. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks.  I personally feel pretty strongly about Yoan being a 4 win player next year and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s even better than that.  I truly believe he was rushed and a guy like him, who was able to succeed in the minors on talent alone, needed to experience failure at the major league in order to make the right adjustments.  There’s no denying his physical abilities, but I’m generally impressed by his work ethic, which is evident by him going to Arizona this offseason and working with Renteria & Steverson on his hitting.

As for Corbin, I shaved over a full point off his 2017 WAR.  For Machado, I don’t believe using career averages for a guy just hitting his prime and believe he could be a 7 win player next year at 3B, but decided to shave off a point.  For Eloy, I simply took Steamer’s projection and bumped it up slightly to account for a quicker promotion and the general conservatism it has for young players.

With Rodon it all comes down to health and my entire premise is based on relatively good health for the team.  If he makes 30 starts next year, he should easily be a 3 win pitcher IMO with the upside for more.  And that’s a key point here.  I personally think Lopez could be a 4 win pitcher next year.  I agree that Anderson could be a 3 win player with some moderate improvement with the bat along with his 2nd half defense showing up for the full season.  People keep looking at the downside, but I’d argue there is still potential upside in my projections and those can potentially cover for areas of underperformance.

You could be right  but usually  on a team for every guy who has a career year, someone else has a dwon year or goes out for a big chunk of time w an injury. Hopefully for the Sox, the young players( Moncada, Anderson, Rodon, Giolito and Lopez all improve 1-2 WAR

The more I read up on Eovaldi, the more I’m convinced he’s the guy we should add.  His addition of a cutter has been a total game-changer.  MLBTradeRumors projects him to get 4/$60M which is a risk we should be willing take.  You’d be getting his age 29 to 32 seasons and a guy that could help anchor a young rotation.  Also, with new arsenal he’s a guy who could be moved to the bullpen if his durability issues continue and still earn his paycheck.  I really hope he’s the guy we’re targeting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The more I read up on Eovaldi, the more I’m convinced he’s the guy we should add.  His addition of a cutter has been a total game-changer.  MLBTradeRumors projects him to get 4/$60M which is a risk we should be willing take.  You’d be getting his age 29 to 32 seasons and a guy that could help anchor a young rotation.  Also, with new arsenal he’s a guy who could be moved to the bullpen if his durability issues continue and still earn his paycheck.  I really hope he’s the guy we’re targeting.

Since 2019 is a rebuilding year, you could put him in the rotation and let him have a year of limited pitch counts to build his stamina some more and then turn him loose in 2020. But the Yankees( and even the Red Sox) may be a contender for him.  

23 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Since 2019 is a rebuilding year, you could put him in the rotation and let him have a year of limited pitch counts to build his stamina some more and then turn him loose in 2020. But the Yankees( and even the Red Sox) may be a contender for him.  

Rumor is the Yankees won’t go four years for him.  Not sure about the Red Sox or even the Astros though.

There is such big turnover with pitchers, to sign one of these guys in essence for 2020 doesn’t make much sense. A year ago would anyone have imagined Corbin getting $140 million and Eovaldi being the other big name? If the Sox were ready to win, sure roll the dice. But be realistic, they are not and will not. 

Save your pitching budget for when you need it. Whatever money you were willing to pay these dopes in 2019, add it to your Harper or Machado offer. Try to get lucky with a reclamation project or 2 starting pitching wise.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is 4 years the max you would give Eovaldi if you're the White Sox?  Also, do you think the Yankees or Phillies would give him 5 years now that they missed out on Corbin?

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is such big turnover with pitchers, to sign one of these guys in essence for 2020 doesn’t make much sense. A year ago would anyone have imagined Corbin getting $140 million and Eovaldi being the other big name? If the Sox were ready to win, sure roll the dice. But be realistic, they are not and will not. 

Save your pitching budget for when you need it.

Agree to a point.  If the Sox are looking at 2020 being the year when the competing begins, should they try to fill some of the glaring holes now in preparation?  Landing a top of the rotation pitcher has to be one of those holes.  Would it hurt to add a guy now, or will there be enough free agents and potential trade targets next off season?

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Save your pitching budget for when you need it. Whatever money you were willing to pay these dopes in 2019, add it to your Harper or Machado offer. Try to get lucky with a reclamation project or 2 starting pitching wise.

Agreed. Get one of Harper/Machado now, then focus on Sale/Bumgarner next offseason.

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is 4 years the max you would give Eovaldi if you're the White Sox?  Also, do you think the Yankees or Phillies would give him 5 years now that they missed out on Corbin?

Yeah, I wouldn’t go more than four years to be honest.  And the rumor is the Yankees won’t go more than three.  The Phillies seem to prefer a lefty, but I wouldn’t rule them out.  The Astros & Red Sox (if they have the money) seem like the real threats.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree and think Gray is the guy we should target.

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Agreed. Get one of Harper/Machado now, then focus on Sale/Bumgarner next offseason.

I’ll be honest, but those guys scare me immensely.  My personal view is big money pitchers are something we should avoid.  Despite his generally good health, Sale just seems like a guy who could go down at any time and Bumgarner is simply not the guy he once was.  If I were to go after anyone next year it would be Cole, but he will have a ton of suitors and is going to get paid ridiculously.

So instead of taking on a gigantic, long-term contract I’d rather role the dice on someone like Eovaldi.  He’s at least got the potential to be a 4+ WAR starter and will come much cheaper.  Yes, he’s risky from a durability standpoint, but I’m hoping him relying on his slider less will help in that regard.  And as I mentioned previously, his stuff can play up in the bullpen if need be.

To me, Eovaldi is the poster boy for 2020 hindsight saying what were you thinking.  He hasn't made more than 27 starts since 2014, and has had 2 TJ surgeries.  The Yankees won't go more than 3 years, and they print money and know him and his medicals pretty well. He seems like an extended DL guy to me, or a guy you would have to find some obscure advanced stat to justify what you paid him. I don't think he is a guy that is going to help you win , at least anywhere near the level they would have to pay him, especially adding a pretty meaningless  2019, when the Sox are ready to win. Pitching is a volatile market. And he is volatile even for a pitcher. Let the Red Sox, Yankees and whoever else battle to see who will pay him bad money.

• Like 2