Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Y2Jimmy0

Baseball America Top 10 Prospects

Recommended Posts

If everyone stays injury free moving forward, could Kopech, Cease, and Dunning all be in the rotation at the start of the 2020 season? Or did Dunning's timeline move back a little with his injury? I can't remember how many innings he has put up the past couple of seasons.

(obviously they would have to stay healthy AND be pitching well, but I'm just asking about their timelines more than anything)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do:

Jimenez

Kopech

Cease

Dunning 

Robert 

Madrigal

Basabe

Rutherford

Adolfo

Gonzalez

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If everyone stays injury free moving forward, could Kopech, Cease, and Dunning all be in the rotation at the start of the 2020 season? Or did Dunning's timeline move back a little with his injury? I can't remember how many innings he has put up the past couple of seasons.

(obviously they would have to stay healthy AND be pitching well, but I'm just asking about their timelines more than anything)

I don't see why not. Dunning supposedly got a clean bill of health today and should be a fast mover through AAA next year. Again, like you said, assuming he's healthy all next year and pitching well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think BA is good with the top100 but I think they are not putting much effort behind that and just put out names late. I trust fangraphs much more because they actually grade the 40s and 45s. 

 

I think BA does the top100 well with effort and then pulls the 10-20 org guys a bit out of their ***.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BA has a tendency to overinflate college draftees immediately out of draft.

I think it's a good reminder that walker is likely a much better prospect than he's shown, but I would not put him ahead of basabe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bmags said:

BA has a tendency to overinflate college draftees immediately out of draft.

I think it's a good reminder that walker is likely a much better prospect than he's shown, but I would not put him ahead of basabe.

Very true.  

For whatever reason, Basabe just doesn’t get the love he deserves.  Fangraphs actually has him ranked as the 83rd overall prospect, but it seems like all the other publications are a bit bearish on him.  BA surprises me given their focus on tools and Basabe’s only below average tool is his hit tool.  A legit CF prospect with plus speed / arm, good power, and a very nice walk rate should be pretty well regarded by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Very true.  

For whatever reason, Basabe just doesn’t get the love he deserves.  Fangraphs actually has him ranked as the 83rd overall prospect, but it seems like all the other publications are a bit bearish on him.  BA surprises me given their focus on tools and Basabe’s only below average tool is his hit tool.  A legit CF prospect with plus speed / arm, good power, and a very nice walk rate should be pretty well regarded by them.

Especially in the advanced metric era where a low batting average can be compensated for well with a high walk rate and power. When that is present in a player who can play CF at an above-average level, that player should project well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Especially in the advanced metric era where a low batting average can be compensated for well with a high walk rate and power. When that is present in a player who can play CF at an above-average level, that player should project well.

Exactly, which is probably the reason Fangraphs is so high on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think BA and Fangraphs phoned it in. Walker is a solid prospect in his own right but a switch hitting + defensive outfielder already at AA as a 21 year old is beyond a stretch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yesterday333 said:

And if he was in the Yankees system he'd be ranked high by everybody...

I’ve said it before, but how is he radically different than Florial?  Yet he gets far more love than Basabe from BA and I believe Pipeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve said it before, but how is he radically different than Florial?  Yet he gets far more love than Basabe from BA and I believe Pipeline.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beautox said:

I personally think BA and Fangraphs phoned it in. Walker is a solid prospect in his own right but a switch hitting + defensive outfielder already at AA as a 21 year old is beyond a stretch. 

Fangraphs definitely phoned it in with their preseason rankings, but have since rectified that with their current Board.  I just can’t take this BA list seriously with Basabe below Rutherford (like WTF does Blake do better), and to a lesser extent Gonzalez & Adolfo.  To me, Basabe is the clear 3rd OF prospect in the system behind Jimenez & Robert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmags said:

BA has a tendency to overinflate college draftees immediately out of draft.

I think it's a good reminder that walker is likely a much better prospect than he's shown, but I would not put him ahead of basabe.

I think they sound like very different players.  Walker sounds more like a pure hitter, while Basabe is more of a 5 tool guy.  I think the floor for a guy like Walker is higher, but the Basabe ceiling is higher.  I would definitely rate Basabe higher at this point both on potential, and being levels ahead of Walker.  That could change this year if a guy like Walker hits Kanny and tears it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think they sound like very different players.  Walker sounds more like a pure hitter, while Basabe is more of a 5 tool guy.  I think the floor for a guy like Walker is higher, but the Basabe ceiling is higher.  I would definitely rate Basabe higher at this point both on potential, and being levels ahead of Walker.  That could change this year if a guy like Walker hits Kanny and tears it up.

A big question with walker that we will find out is whether the sox viewing him as a CF is legit.

That said, basabe has a lower hit tool but walks. As he rises levels he needs to maintain that, but if his power keeps improving that makes it easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fangraphs definitely phoned it in with their preseason rankings, but have since rectified that with their current Board.  I just can’t take this BA list seriously with Basabe below Rutherford (like WTF does Blake do better), and to a lesser extent Gonzalez & Adolfo.  To me, Basabe is the clear 3rd OF prospect in the system behind Jimenez & Robert.

40 points higher career BA at this point.  Higher SLG as well.  Strikes out far fewer times.  It isn't a huge stretch.  Glad to have both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

40 points higher career BA at this point.  Higher SLG as well.  Strikes out far fewer times.  It isn't a huge stretch.  Glad to have both.

Both guys were at Winston Salem last year and Basabe’s ISO was nearly a 100 points higher.  There is no doubt Blake has the better hit tool, but Basabe brings so much more to the table including power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Both guys were at Winston Salem last year and Basabe’s ISO was nearly a 100 points higher.  There is no doubt Blake has the better hit tool, but Basabe brings so much more to the table including power.

Basabe can also play CF and Blake Rutherford can't. I would put it like this as of the moment.

1. Eloy Jimenez 

2. Michael Kopech

3. Dylan Cease

4. Luis Robert

5. Nick Madrigal

6. Zack Collins

7. Dane Dunning

8. Micker Adolfo

9. Luis Alexander Basabe

10. Alec Hansen 

11. Luis Gonzalez

12. Blake Rutherford

13. Steele Walker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Basabe can also play CF and Blake Rutherford can't. I would put it like this as of the moment.

1. Eloy Jimenez 

2. Michael Kopech

3. Dylan Cease

4. Luis Robert

5. Nick Madrigal

6. Zack Collins

7. Dane Dunning

8. Micker Adolfo

9. Luis Alexander Basabe

10. Alec Hansen 

11. Luis Gonzalez

12. Blake Rutherford

13. Steele Walker 

This would be very close to mine.  And I totally agree with the three guys who fall outside the top 10.  To me, Collins & Hansen are still much better prospects than LuGo, Rutherford, & Walker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×