Baseball America Top 10 Prospects

Y2Jimmy0

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fangraphs definitely phoned it in with their preseason rankings, but have since rectified that with their current Board.  I just can’t take this BA list seriously with Basabe below Rutherford (like WTF does Blake do better), and to a lesser extent Gonzalez & Adolfo.  To me, Basabe is the clear 3rd OF prospect in the system behind Jimenez & Robert.

Agreed, I have it as Jimenez, Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Adolfo, Steele

1 minute ago, beautox said:

Agreed, I have it as Jimenez, Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Adolfo, Steele

I think Adolfo is too low here but it's obviously your list. I like what others have said about his game. Keith Law will have Adolfo in his top 65 prospects. He thinks he's a middle of the order run producer. He just needs to stay healthy. 

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Basabe can also play CF and Blake Rutherford can't. I would put it like this as of the moment.

1. Eloy Jimenez 

2. Michael Kopech

3. Dylan Cease

4. Luis Robert

5. Nick Madrigal

6. Zack Collins

7. Dane Dunning

8. Micker Adolfo

9. Luis Alexander Basabe

10. Alec Hansen 

11. Luis Gonzalez

12. Blake Rutherford

13. Steele Walker 

Not too many of us on the LuGon bandwagon. ;) Great list, one of the better ones I've seen on here.

Edited by SoxAce

4 minutes ago, beautox said:

I’d have it Jimenez, Robert, Basabe, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Steele.

I think Basabe has the higher floor than Adolfo, but Micker’s ceiling is higher due to his elite raw power & arm.  He could legitimately become a star RF if his plate discipline continues to improve.

Also, just to be clear on my previous comments, but I’m a huge fan of Luis Gonzalez.  I just think he needs to put up numbers in AA before I can rank him above guys with louder tools like Basabe & Adolfo.  That very well could happen this coming season.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:16 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Both guys were at Winston Salem last year and Basabe’s ISO was nearly a 100 points higher.  There is no doubt Blake has the better hit tool, but Basabe brings so much more to the table including power.

Yeah they were, and Basabe was repeating and older.  Not trying to drag him down, and as I said, I am happy the Sox have both.  I was just trying to show why some people may prefer Rutherford.  Especially because the one tool that is most questionable for Basabe is the one that could legitimately destroy him as a prospect.  A fact, of which Sox fans should be well aware.  We have had no shortage of prospects that have more speed, power and arm than they knew what to do with, that we never saw in a Sox uniform.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:57 PM, SoxAce said:

Not too many of us on the LuGon bandwagon. ;) Great list, one of the better ones I've seen on here.

I'd move Collins to the bottom, with everyone else sliding up a spot. There are massive questions about Collins' hit tool and his ability to stay at catcher. If he can't stay at C, he's a non-prospect IMO. I might be harsh on Collins, but I hate his hit tool to the point that I question him being a prospect at all if he can't stay at C. I honestly have no clue how he stays on any lists. Most are sure he can't stick at C so Idk why he's even making T10 lists, let alone T30 lists. I get that he has LTP and walks a lot but it doesn't matter if he can't put the bat on ball. He seems to have a similar offensive profile as Moncada other than speed, and we've seen Moncada's struggles, and Moncada hit MUCH better at all minor league levels than Collins has.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd move Collins to the bottom, with everyone else sliding up a spot. There are massive questions about Collins' hit tool and his ability to stay at catcher. If he can't stay at C, he's a non-prospect IMO. I might be harsh on Collins, but I hate his hit tool to the point that I question him being a prospect at all if he can't stay at C. I honestly have no clue how he stays on any lists. Most are sure he can't stick at C so Idk why he's even making T10 lists, let alone T30 lists. I get that he has LTP and walks a lot but it doesn't matter if he can't put the bat on ball. He seems to have a similar offensive profile as Moncada other than speed, and we've seen Moncada's struggles, and Moncada hit MUCH better at all minor league levels than Collins has.  

Collins is ranked the 67th best prospect in baseball as a 1B by Fangraphs.  They certainly believe his offensive game will provide enough value to be a major league 1B despite a lackluster hit tool.  I really think you’re underestimating just how elite his batter’s eye is and how real his power is.  And don’t ignore the fact that minor league catchers spend so much time on the defensive side of things that their bats can often lag behind a bit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Collins is ranked the 67th best prospect in baseball as a 1B by Fangraphs.  They certainly believe his offensive game will provide enough value to be a major league 1B despite a lackluster hit tool.  I really think you’re underestimating just how elite his batter’s eye is and how real his power is.  And don’t ignore the fact that minor league catchers spend so much time on the defensive side of things that their bats can often lag behind a bit.

I can't help but think he's going to come up here and get destroyed a la 2011 Adam Dunn or 2018 Chris Davis. 

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree. Fangraphs has him a 50 as  a 1b because  they think there is elite plate discipline and above average power. If he can hit 30 homers and walk 13% in the majors he can be an average first baseman with a 245 average.

16 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't help but think he's going to come up here and get destroyed a la 2011 Adam Dunn or 2018 Chris Davis. 

I am more worried about him looking like 2018 Yoan Moncada and getting picked apart by refusing to swing at borderline or slightly out of the zone pitches.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am more worried about him looking like 2018 Yoan Moncada and getting picked apart by refusing to swing at borderline or slightly out of the zone pitches.

Think about what Moncada would look like if he hit .165 and had shattered the strikeout record by 50-75 K and you have Collins. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Think about what Moncada would look like if he hit .165 and had shattered the strikeout record by 50-75 K and you have Collins. 

This seems a bit overly dramatic to me.  There is cause for concern with Collins, but there is also cause to believe he can be an impactful player.  Guys with that discipline and power don't grow on trees.  He may benefit from better umpires (don't tell Moncada...) and he may also benefit from time.  He will almost certainly also benefit from playing half his games in Charlotte instead of Birmingham.  Collins showed what he can be at the high end for a stretch last season, if he can tap into that with more regularity, he could really be a special player.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

By the way, my T10 if I had to do it right now off the top of my head...

1. Jimenez

2. Kopech

3. Cease

4. Robert

5. Madrigal

6. Basabe

7. Collins

8. Dunning

9. Adolfo

10. Gonzalez

Just out: Hansen, then Rutherford

My top 10 are as follows:

1.  Eloy 

2.  Kopech

3. Cease

4. Robert

5. Madrigal

6. Dunning

7. Gonzalez

8. Rutherford

9. Hansen

10. Basabe

Edited by cjgalloway

20 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I'm consistently struck by how much Blake Rutherford reminds me of Ryan Sweeney as a prospect. I think Blake has a chance to be better, but there are a lot of similarities.

Before he fell apart physically, he put up 6 fWAR in a 2 year stretch for the A's. 

Five or ten years ago, our second round/supplemental guys like Keenyn Walker were solidly in the Top 10.

We’re now to the point where Steele W., Burdi, Sheets, Hansen, etc, can populate #10-15, and former first rounders like Rutherford aren’t automatic selections, either.  Adams was there was well, 2-3 years ago.

Edited by caulfield12

On 11/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

I'm consistently struck by how much Blake Rutherford reminds me of Ryan Sweeney as a prospect. I think Blake has a chance to be better, but there are a lot of similarities.

I really agree with this, but if Sweeney were a prospect today, I'd still rank him highly. You can't teach that swing. I'm still pretty shocked he busted.

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I really agree with this, but if Sweeney were a prospect today, I'd still rank him highly. You can't teach that swing. I'm still pretty shocked he busted.

Sweeney didn't exactly bust either. He did OK for a bit in the majors before fading. The power never showed up and he wasn't able to stick as a full-timer in CF, both of which are risks with Rutherford too. Which gives you a sort of healthy, high-probability floor for Rutherford - effective 4th OF. If he can play CF more often and/or convert more power to games, the stock goes up.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:39 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-white-sox-top-mlb-prospects-podcast/

This is the podcast related to the White Sox top 10. Really good stuff here. 

Thanks.  This was good listen, but I really wish they would’ve dove a bit deeper beyond the top 10.  Outside of Collins & Basabe, they didn’t really touch on much.  I would have loved to hear them talk about Hansen, Sheets, Burdi, etc.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks.  This was good listen, but I really wish they would’ve dove a bit deeper beyond the top 10.  Outside of Collins & Basabe, they didn’t really touch on much.  I would have loved to hear them talk about Hansen, Sheets, Burdi, etc.

Especially Hansen. I really have no clue what to think of him despite the injury. Guy was just lost when he came back.