White Sox looking into bullpen arms

Whisox05

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So the offseason is less than a week old and we’ve already gotten rumors of us being interested in:

• Harper + Machado
  • Nelson Cruz
  • Starting Pitchers
  • Relief Pitchers

Am I missing any?  Seems like this could be a pretty ridiculous offseason.

or one of the most disappointing ones ever....

sorry...not trying to be Debbie Downer.  But I've seen this movie a few times...

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Sources say that the Astros are still in the mix.

I don't believe the Cubs are in on Familia. He has been accused of domestic violence which is a badge a few too many of their players have carried. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

Cruz would be a 1 or 2 year addition, for what? 10-15 million per year? Sure he would make them better, but if we really aren't contending in 2019 what is the point? 

I think if the Sox sign Cruz it is an indication they are trying to compete this year. If the Indians make meaningful cuts to their roster. The Sox could possible win 86 games or something and win the division. 

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't believe the Cubs are in on Familia. He has been accused of domestic violence which is a badge a few too many of their players have carried. 

I think if the Sox sign Cruz it is an indication they are trying to compete this year. If the Indians make meaningful cuts to their roster. The Sox could possible win 86 games or something and win the division. 

Oh I was just joking since the Astros picked up a player associated with domestic abuse. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

At 38 Cruz could be an oncoming disaster. One year plus option would be wise. Sounds like a Cleveland kind of guy. 

It's absolutely reasonable to expect a drop off due to Age, but I got to stress just how good Nelson Cruz has been these past few years. This guy is not normal per the aging curve, this guy has been a beast of a hitter. This guy has shown almost no signs of regression. 

Not saying it won't happen, but if anyone deserves the benefit.. it's him, just look at his league leading stats in the past 5 or so years. 

If they can get someone like C. Allen, Britton, Miller, Familia or Herrera for an advantageous 1 or 2 year deal...great.

But not at inflated/overpay prices.

There's got to be some vets out there who are looking for that opportunity to grab a closer's job by the horns and re-establish their value again...that will be coming in at lesser rates than Kimbrel.

Take on Jansen, maybe...but his stuff really deteriorated down the stretch.  Too risky at those salary numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

In a lesser light I see three pitchers were signed late October. LHP Ronaldo Guzman is a tender 16 from the DR so he will mature and one day hope to play in their summer league. RHP Evan Marshall is invited to ST age 28 from the D-backs where he amassed a 5.15 ERA and 1.74 WHIP in 101 games. RHP Homer Cruz is 19 from the DR with no pro experience. Marshall will be assigned to Coop's project list. 

Congrats to Danny Farquhar who has been medically cleared to engage in his chosen profession. Quite a Thanksgiving. Word is there is more than token interest due to his talent for missing bats.  Sox resign 1B Matt Skole lacking bodies at the 3A-4A level of play. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

So Bud Norris is an asshole

http://www.metsrefugees.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113157

I might actually pick all our old friend Brett Myers over him.

Are you fucking kidding me with this shit? Brett Myers punched his wife in the face. His wife didn’t press charges because she didn’t want to get him in trouble, but she never actually denied the whole, you know, getting punched in the face thing. Safe to say, that shit happened and actually hurt another human being.

Bud Norris used some words to suggest that the globalization of baseball has changed the game in a way that he doesn’t seem to approve of. He didn’t, as far as I can see, use any derogatory or degrading language to describe this change or the people doing it. He simply pointed it out. Agree, disagree, I don’t give a shit. They’re words.

Guess what? If I think up the most offensive, disgusting words in the English language and hurl them at you...you’re going to live. Isn’t that neat? They will do zero damage to your health and well-being. You’ll be OK!

If I punch you in the head, you’re going to need to see a doctor. In fact, you might not need to see a doctor, because the stars might have aligned so terribly after my punch that you’ll find yourself straight up dead. No doctor needed, because your ride is fucking OVA!!

In sum, if you find yourself siding with a dude who punches women in the head over a guy who says words you disagree with, you should probably rethink your priorities.

Also, stop politicizing everything. This site killed the Filibuster for a reason; we don’t need you trying to resuscitate it in every other damn thread.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Are you fucking kidding me with this shit? Brett Myers punched his wife in the face. His wife didn’t press charges because she didn’t want to get him in trouble, but she never actually denied the whole, you know, getting punched in the face thing. Safe to say, that shit happened and actually hurt another human being.

Bud Norris used some words to suggest that the globalization of baseball has changed the game in a way that he doesn’t seem to approve of. He didn’t, as far as I can see, use any derogatory or degrading language to describe this change or the people doing it. He simply pointed it out. Agree, disagree, I don’t give a shit. They’re words.

Guess what? If I think up the most offensive, disgusting words in the English language and hurl them at you...you’re going to live. Isn’t that neat? They will do zero damage to your health and well-being. You’ll be OK!

If I punch you in the head, you’re going to need to see a doctor. In fact, you might not need to see a doctor, because the stars might have aligned so terribly after my punch that you’ll find yourself straight up dead. No doctor needed, because your ride is fucking OVA!!

In sum, if you find yourself siding with a dude who punches women in the head over a guy who says words you disagree with, you should probably rethink your priorities.

Also, stop politicizing everything. This site killed the Filibuster for a reason; we don’t need you trying to resuscitate it in every other damn thread.

Thanks!

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bud-norris-repeatedly-harassing-cardinals-rookie-manager-doesnt-seem-care-much-234600367.html

Apparently you also missed the "hazing" incident with Jordan Hicks?

My point was that, while objectively Myers has committed the worst act, for sure...that Bud Norris has a list of incidents and run-ins a mile long on his resume.

That anyone would actually WANT him on the White Sox after all that was pretty shocking, when there are MANY MANY other relief pitchers to choose from, and MANY MANY in our own organization.   Not to mention we've already added Colome and Herrera just this off-season, which is more than 50% of MLB teams are spending on their pens (collectively).

• Thanks 1