At least a dozen killed in CA bar shooting

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/multiple-people-injured-reported-shooting-california-bar-085504878--abc-news-topstories.html

Gunman is apparently among the dead...took place near Pepperdine University, first officer to respond shot and killed, students apparently involved, line dancing/ country bar

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/california-shooting-intl/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

Well, maybe CNN will have nothing better to do if they boycott the White House after the Acosta banning.

13 dead now...I think everyone is so tired of politics that we have to hope he has no obvious affiliation either way.  Emotions are still pretty raw from two weeks ago.  

I can just imagine if he had any ties to Central America or Mexico, yikes.  As it stands there’s supposed to be an announcement today or Fri about making asylum cases at the border next to impossible for one to file.

Authorities have not identified any victims inside the bar or the gunman, but a law enforcement source, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case, described the shooter as a 29-year-old man armed with a Glock .45 handgun and a “smoke device.”

The shooter drove his mother’s car to the bar and did not say anything before opening fire, the official said.
latimes.com
Edited by caulfield12

The guy had mental health issues, it will be interesting to see if he legally was allowed to still own a gun. 

That being said, I believe 2 of the dead are a security officer and a police officer.

California allows concealed carry, so not sure what that comment even means.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The guy had mental health issues, it will be interesting to see if he legally was allowed to still own a gun. 

That being said, I believe 2 of the dead are a security officer and a police officer.

California allows concealed carry, so not sure what that comment even means.

The way to make America safe is for everyone to be carrying their own gun at all times

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Maybe but what is the point of bringing up concealed carry when its already legal in California?

There wasn't one.

But this is the recurring problem with all debates political, and probably the main reason why Soxtalk killed off the 'Buster. They all eventually devolve into shouting matches, whataboutism, and "gotcha" moments when talking with anyone outside of their own echo chambers. If there was any discussion to be had in this thread, there isn't anymore, and it's because of things like this.

You did it proper, you pointed out that it IS legal, which he may not have known -- and then someone else had to take his possibly uninformed statement, and instead of educating, turned it into reductio ad absurdum, and mocked him with it, instead.

21 minutes ago, Y2HH said:

There wasn't one.

But this is the recurring problem with all debates political, and probably the main reason why Soxtalk killed off the 'Buster. They all eventually devolve into shouting matches, whataboutism, and "gotcha" moments when talking with anyone outside of their own echo chambers. If there was any discussion to be had in this thread, there isn't anymore, and it's because of things like this.

You did it proper, you pointed out that it IS legal, which he may not have known -- and then someone else had to take his possibly uninformed statement, and instead of educating, turned it into reductio ad absurdum, and mocked him with it, instead.

Things like this make people emotional, its understandable. Its part of life. When something like this happens, people need an outlet a place to vent. So sometimes discussions get heated, they get angry, they devolve.

But the hope is that through that, people dont let their anger and emotions boil up and become a worse situation. That is why sometimes its good to have an outlet. A lot of people dont feel like their voice is being heard. At least this place offered somewhere that you could hear the other sides point of view.

I mean sometimes when Im bored Ill read Breitbart or Yahoo news comments, but I dont believe for a second I could have a meaningful conversation. 

I guess the better question now is what would it actually take to see a change?

Sandy Hook?  Las Vegas?   They couldn’t even get the bump stocks.  After Parkland, momentum seemed to shift again with the kids involved, but it eventually dissipates until the next incident (Nelson was very visible on this issue in FL and lost his Senate spot).  It seems ages ago already since the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, which became more about anti-Semitism than guns.   Part of it is this 24 hour news cycle that has become even more compressed since 2015 and Trump’s daily tweeting bombardment.

At any rate, if this guy had a Glock and not an automatic rifle and still killed an experienced officer...someone will argue that the police should be even more heavily armed.   Yet arming everyone to the teeth, instead of serving as a deterrent, seems to be setting everyone at hair’s trigger, instead.

The cynic within believes not even migrant women and children being gunned down at the border by civilians in mass numbers would move the meter.  In fact, it actually might lead to even more migrant shootings within the US as more and more individuals feel empowered to start playing ICE officer/interrogator.   And that doesn’t even account for this “war against the media” that can only accelerate so far without tragic consequences.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess the better question now is what would it actually take to see a change?

Sandy Hook?  Las Vegas?   They couldn’t even get the bump stocks.  After Parkland, momentum seemed to shift again with the kids involved, but it eventually dissipates until the next incident (Nelson was very visible on this issue in FL and lost his Senate spot).  It seems ages ago already since the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, which became more about anti-Semitism than guns.   Part of it is this 24 hour news cycle that has become even more compressed since 2015 and Trump’s daily tweeting bombardment.

At any rate, if this guy had a Glock and not an automatic rifle and still killed an experienced officer...someone will argue that the police should be even more heavily armed.   Yet arming everyone to the teeth, instead of serving as a deterrent, seems to be setting everyone at hair’s trigger, instead.

The cynic within believes not even migrant women and children being gunned down at the border by civilians in mass numbers would move the meter.  In fact, it actually might lead to even more migrant shootings within the US as more and more individuals feel empowered to start playing ICE officer/interrogator.   And that doesn’t even account for this “war against the media” that can only accelerate so far without tragic consequences.

I don't think there is a mass shooting that will move the needle on this at this point.  Look how little discussion or shock there is in this thread.  If Sandy Hook didn't lead to change I don't see what will.  This is America, just have to hope that you or people you know aren't victims of one of these. 

10 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

The way to make America safe is for everyone to be carrying their own gun at all times

If we all had guns, I guess we could pick off somebody like the Colorado movie theatre killer. Somebody might get a good shot in on him. On the other hand, innocents surely would be killed as well in the crossfire. I have no solution, just sadness and horror.

• Quin locked this topic