At least a dozen killed in CA bar shooting

caulfield12

2 hours ago, brett05 said:

I never said provable.

I used a stat from the government, a supposedly unbiased source.

The only thing we can say with confidence is that there are lives saved, how many is debatable, it could be thousands it could be tens of millions

tens of millions? Come on man, in a country of 300 million people, you think 10% or more are saved every year by guns? You can't possibly believe that silliness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

tens of millions? Come on man, in a country of 300 million people, you think 10% or more are saved every year by guns? You can't possibly believe that silliness.

I also think it's important to note that he intentionally excluded gun deaths by suicide on the other side of the equation.  From Harvard - attempted suicide by gun is effective 82.5% of the time.  Drugs and cutting are each effective less than 2% of the time.  I will shout from the rooftops about how that stat matters any time someone seeks to exclude those deaths...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/case-fatality/

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 11:00 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

Why do you only include non suicidal deaths?  I have to imagine many of those suicides would not have happened if a gun was not so easily accessible.  

Probably not.  They'd just use another method.

23 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

It's absolutely a possibility.  It's a deterrent.

20 hours ago, illinilaw08 said:

I also think it's important to note that he intentionally excluded gun deaths by suicide on the other side of the equation.  From Harvard - attempted suicide by gun is effective 82.5% of the time.  Drugs and cutting are each effective less than 2% of the time.  I will shout from the rooftops about how that stat matters any time someone seeks to exclude those deaths...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/case-fatality/

Shout all you want, the life that is jeopardized is only the suicidal.  Yes you eliminate them from the talk.

1 hour ago, brett05 said:

If it is such a deterrent, how come people are still getting shot? Isn't the US the most armed country, and has the most people shot? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, brett05 said:

We are talking deterrent effect? OK... You think tens of millions of people would kill other people if they knew citizens were unarmed (which most are today anyway)? Again, you think, say, 10% of the population are only kept from murdering others by the fact that the other might be armed? It's not, ya know, the fact that they'd go to jail? Or that it's morally wrong?

• Quin locked this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

We learned today that the security guard who was killed in this mass shooting was killed by a bullet fired by a police officer who ran into the bar along with him. He was struck by 6 bullets, 1 lethal, and the lethal one came from the gun of the California Highway Patrol officer on the scene.