Corbin has become top target

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone really believe Patrick Corbin is the signing that would convince one of these guys the Sox are on their way?

Who knows if this tweet is even accurate, but if it is, as Geddy Lee once sang, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

100% this. I doubt it would impact their decision much. Still need to offer the most money.

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If they have no shot at Machado or Harper does it make sense to go after Corbin now? If you can't get Machdo or Harper they might ad well stay the course get another high draft pick and wait for Kopech to heal, Cease and Dunning  to arrive f they need pitching Happ, Poemeranz etc. will be cheaper and others available next year.

To be honest I'd rather sign Dallas Keuchel and Brantley with Corbin's money. I think they need to add talent to this roster and give the young guys a taste of winning some games. I do not trust Corbin because he hasn't consistently been good, and that's not worth 100+ million. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I would have said this same exact thing about Mark Buehrle, John Danks, Jose Contreras...in the past.  You look at your payroll and all of a sudden, you’re the Seattle Mariners and stuck in no man’s land again.

Except now we have a good farm system with players that can come up and supplement the roster. If Corbin is only a #3/#4 type pitcher, I have no problem with him being in the middle of a rotation with guys like Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning, Giolito, etc. (even if he is getting ace money). Then you try for another big name guy next year and the year after through free agency or trade.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

100% this. I doubt it would impact their decision much. Still need to offer the most money.

Agreed. But some people are saying they won't choose to play here even if we offer the most money because they don't want to play for a losing team.  So how about we offer the most money AND show them we are ready to start competing? You have to try everything in your power to lure them here, even if it only slightly improves your chances.

You don't sign Patrick Corbin just because you think he's an influencer. You sign him because you need him to be good. This team isn't a manny machado away from competing.

This is how you end up with Carlos Boozer, and groin punch to the ref aside, could have done without Carlos Boozer.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

You could sign Donaldson, Brantley/McCutchen, Cahill, and a reliever like Familia for the same price as it would take to get Corbin. 

Probably not. Donaldson might not get 100MM but he is going to get paid. Same with Brantley and Familia.

I really don't think Corbin is getting as much money as you guys think. He might say 100MM, but didn't Encarnacion expect to get like, 100MM too?

I agree I don't really want Corbin for 25 mil a year.  However, he was a super top prospect at one time, had good seasons prior to TJ  and had an amazing season this year both in normal stats and even better in newer stats like FIP and xFIP. The only way this makes sense is if the Sox truely believe he is someone who is a "late bloomer" like Kluber, Hill and many others.  If they think his arm can hold up with all those sliders and that he can produce than I'll trust the org.

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

To be honest I'd rather sign Dallas Keuchel and Brantley with Corbin's money. I think they need to add talent to this roster and give the young guys a taste of winning some games. I do not trust Corbin because he hasn't consistently been good, and that's not worth 100+ million. 

And that's a very fair plan if Keuchel and Brantley end up costing less or even only slightly more. Keuchel gave up the most hits of his career and had his highest WHIP in 5 years. He's crafty but how much longer that plays is in question.

27 minutes ago, daggins said:

Probably not. Donaldson might not get 100MM but he is going to get paid. Same with Brantley and Familia.

I really don't think Corbin is getting as much money as you guys think. He might say 100MM, but didn't Encarnacion expect to get like, 100MM too?

It's very possible Donaldson takes a 1 year deal to get healthy and play a full season to try and get a 3-4 year deal next year. He might get something like 1 year $20m.

Edited by soxfan2014

They didn't want to pay Buehrle $56 million over 4 years, and won 88 games with Humber and his Lucas Giolito like ERA in the rotation. That was a season after We're all in. 

I know their current payroll is low, but you sign Corbin and he isn't all that, suddenly it creeps up fast. And you can believe what you want to believe, but so far all in doesn't mean anything close to $200 million payrolls. 

Is this twitter account known to be somewhat reliable?

29 minutes ago, daggins said:

You know what I was trying to say. The Sox could fill 3 or 4 holes with the same amount of money that they would be paying a 29 year old pitcher coming off a career year. They need to avoid Corbin at all costs. It's a no-brainer.

Corbin  was really good last year and probably is the best available starter. It wasn't luck either his peripherals were spectacular:

2.47 FIP (3rd in mlb)

30.8% k (7th in mlb)

24.8% k-bb (5th in mlb)

There is obvious regression risk but he was an absolute ace last year and actually had more WAR last year than both machado and Harper.  I'm not saying this will continue but there is a chance you get an absolute ace.

And I don't think the sox will pay the 350 millions needed for either of Harper and machado but Corbin at 5/90 or so would be interesting.

I do not approve of this. 

As mentioned in another thread: injury prone, velocity down, ramped up slider usage quickly this year. All signs that suggest a guy who is burning the candle at both ends to squeeze as much out of his body as possible before it’s too late.

This is a guy who has peaked. Great addition for a contender who needs a good SP for the next year or two. Absolutely foolish for a rebuilder trying to add to a core. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

32 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

You know what I was trying to say. The Sox could fill 3 or 4 holes with the same amount of money that they would be paying a 29 year old pitcher coming off a career year. They need to avoid Corbin at all costs. It's a no-brainer.

I’m not sure it’s a no-brainer.  

What they need is somebody to give them 200IP with above average results.  That would go a long way to preserving all the young arms, especially in the bullpen.  

Corbin probably checks that box.  

My take:

I don't really want Corbin, I think he's a high injury risk and I think 2018 may have been a career year.  That said, he is at worst a very good mid rotation pitcher.  If you can get him on 5/$90 type deal, its probably worth it.  But I think it'll get quite a bit higher than that with the Yankees definitely being interested.  I just don't love spending top dollar on SP unless its super elite.  These guys only impact at most 20% of the games each season.  

While we do need pitching, and you can never have enough, I somewhat question the timing of adding an expensive long term rotation piece.  You add Corbin and suddenly the 2020 rotation gets pretty crowded with Rodon, Corbin, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, Cease and Dunning.  I personally just prefer the Sox go after more of the stopgap (2 year deal types) or 1 year bounceback candidates, or try to get Kikuchi, who actually has the potential to give you some surplus value.  It remains to be seen how much the Sox are going to be willing to inflate their payroll, but locking up over $100M into a mid rotation-type starter on a playoff team (even if he is the best SP available this offseason), doesn't seem terribly prudent unless the  Sox are willing to spend with the big boys the next half decade.  

I think you are playing with fire with any free agent pitcher you sign. I think you are stepping into the fire if you pay them big money and aren't going to be competing for a playoff birth in year 1 of the deal, which probably is the year the best performance can be expected. You are better off waiting because so many things happen to pitchers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think you are playing with fire with any free agent pitcher you sign. I think you are stepping into the fire if you pay them big money and aren't going to be competing for a playoff birth in year 1 of the deal, which probably is the year the best performance can be expected. You are better off waiting because so many things happen to pitchers.

This 100%

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I think that if he stays healthy, Corbin can pitch like a #2 for another year or so. I just don’t see any way it goes beyond that. Spending $100M on that right now would be unjustifiably insane for the White Sox. 

And that's a big maybe. Career year going into free agency. Previous health concerns. Team not contending. What could possibly go wrong?