White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

17 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Well if the Sox are putting on a recruiting pitch they must not believe their chance is 0%. 

And again, if you are trying to get someone to sign with your team, why would you not use every single advantage you have? Why would you not try and recruit? 

Seems negligent not to. So kind of strange you think the Sox shouldnt do their best to try, even if they dont succeed. 

And neither does Harper if he is coming here for it.

12 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Do you really think putting his name up at the United Center and sticking a jersey on a statue of Michael Jordan means anything to these guys? If you want Harper on the Sox then pay him what he wants. 

Harper sits down at the table with Reinsdorf, Williams, and Hahn and says to them, “ you know my BFF plays for the Cubs, right?” Hahn response back is, “ but did you see your jersey on the Jordan statue, and name at the United Center?” Big f* cking deal. Give him the cash!

What does it hurt?  Play to the male ego.

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

There’s no anger. If my point didn’t come across as these pitches don’t mean anything, then I am saying “ these pitches don’t mean anything.” The money talks. That’s it. 

If the money is similar, how you sell your organization and what he can expect his experience to be is very important.  I don't think there is anyone thinking this particular thing would be something that made Harper sign with the White Sox. The White Sox wouldn't even think that. It's just some fun part of the presentation.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

There’s no anger. If my point didn’t come across as these pitches don’t mean anything, then I am saying “ these pitches don’t mean anything.” The money talks. That’s it. 

You can't know that though.  As big of ego's as lots of these athletes have, feeling "wanted" is a real thing for a lot of them.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

And neither does Harper if he is coming here for it.

I mean the chance may be slight. But the market for Haper/Machado seems strange this year. If the reports are true that Nationals only offered 10 year $300mil no opt out, that really does mean that the Sox could make a much better offer. 

I think when you are a team that has lost recently, you need to give a pitch. You need to show the player that he is part of a bigger plan.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I mean the chance may be slight. But the market for Haper/Machado seems strange this year. If the reports are true that Nationals only offered 10 year $300mil no opt out, that really does mean that the Sox could make a much better offer. 

I think when you are a team that has lost recently, you need to give a pitch. You need to show the player that he is part of a bigger plan.

And showing Bryce Harper he will be the White Sox Michael Jordan is a selling point. Especially if they have anywhere near the same success.

22 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hmmmm......

Edit: to clarify, this was posted well before anything re: harpers pitch was made public. They must have clued Kopech in.

Image-1_01.jpg

In that same post, in the comments, he says, "if we sign Harper he can have [34]. I'll just pay for him to get that tattoo as well. I feel that's only fair."

And for a team like the Sox where Harper might not know what the actual plan is in 2019 it sure makes sense to have that kind of laid out for him.  As has already been said by numerous people, no one is saying this is going to be a huge selling point for Bryce but it's sure not going to hurt.

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

And for a team like the Sox where Harper might not know what the actual plan is in 2019 it sure makes sense to have that kind of laid out for him.  As has already been said by numerous people, no one is saying this is going to be a huge selling point for Bryce but it's sure not going to hurt.

It has been said by numerous people that he won’t sign with the Sox for various reasons.

Just now, DH in the NL said:

It has been said by numerous people that he won’t sign with the Sox for various reasons.

Damn, really? Wow, I guess the Sox should quit trying then, because numerous people said for various reasons that he won't be coming here. What a shame. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I'm trying to not get my hopes up but this would be so exciting.

Could you Imagine if JR decided to become Mike Illitch all of the sudden?  He is 82 so I guess at some point he has to realize he can't take his money with him. He knows the Bulls will stay in the family as the family goldmine, and the Sox are going to be sold, so why not make the most of the time he has left? 

• Like 1

Pitches are a nice way of saying "we are serious and care about you" right before throwing out a number well below what the player is asking for as part of a natural negotiating process.

They are also kinda cheesy and all similar. If Jerry wanted to impress him they should show a video of beards and long hair superimposed on all white sox as a way to show we mean business.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Bob in his latest article says it's the Phillies. He doesn't even mention us. 

For some reason I really feel like some of the media is upset at the idea that either of these guys could go to the Sox.

Edited by Sockin

Just now, Sockin said:

For some reason I really feel like some of the media is upset at the suggestion that either of these guys could go to the Sox.

It's because they've had them as guaranteed Yankees/Phillies players for a couple years now. They don't want to be wrong.

Nightengale literally reported back in March/April that Manny Machado will sign with the Yankees. He has a lot on the line, I guess