White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Damn, really? Wow, I guess the Sox should quit trying then, because numerous people said for various reasons that he won't be coming here. What a shame. 

Not sure what the shame is? I might be the only one that thinks the Sox will offer $300-$350 million for Harper. I haven’t read anybody else say that. 

56 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

There’s no anger. If my point didn’t come across as these pitches don’t mean anything, then I am saying “ these pitches don’t mean anything.” The money talks. That’s it. 

LeBron, Bosh and Wade chose Miami and took less money.

Edited by soxfan49

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Never complained about paying MJ before. However, the Bulls usually want to spend big on FA's but struggle to do so, finishing second a lot. I am hopeful the Sox won't suffer the same fate. 

Completely different league with different salary rules. There is no max contract in the MLB. Sox can go balls to the wall and outbid everybody

Just now, Hot FiRe said:

Completely different league with different salary rules. There is no max contract in the MLB. Sox can go balls to the wall and outbid everybody

True, but other teams historically have spent way more than us. I hope we go balls to the wall, but will we spend 25 to 50 million more than anyone else to secure a big fish?

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

There’s no anger. If my point didn’t come across as these pitches don’t mean anything, then I am saying “ these pitches don’t mean anything.” The money talks. That’s it. 

Did you see the Brian Duensing quotes about the Cubs presentation to him  in this thread. Dueising signed for less because of a superb presentation. It included how they take care and protect his wife and kids while he was playing and how they would be able to go to playoff games. This was for a pitcher that signed for 2 years and $7M. The pitch /presentation is a HUGE part of wooing a free agent even the minor ones, plus of course the monetary offer.

Every post you make you just dig yourself a bigger hole of your ignorance on how you sign a free agent.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did you see the Brian Duensing quotes about the Cubs presentation to him  in this thread. Dueising signed for less because of a superb presentation. It included how they take care and protect his wife and kids while he was playing and how they would be able to go to playoff games. This was for a pitcher that signed for 2 years and $7M. The pitch /presentation is a HUGE part of wooing a free agent even the minor ones, plus of course the monetary offer.

Every post you make you just dig yourself a bigger hole of your ignorance on how you sign a free agent.

You used Brian Duensing as an example. That’s pretty solid.

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

You used Brian Duensing as an example. That’s pretty solid.

If Duensing chose a 7M contract over an 8M contract, that is a LOT of money for him to forfeit given his earning power is less than a guy like Harper. 

Harper likely won't, but he could choose a contract with say 10 million less dollars and not even worry about batting an eye at it because it's still 300+ million dollars. 1 extra million means a lot more to a guy making 7 million than 10 million to a guy making 350 million. I hope that made sense. 

EDIT: To remove 10 million "per year" error.

Edited by South Sider