White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

3 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Personally, just from a marketing standpoint, Harper is much more marketable than Machado. Machado is the better player IMO though.

Machado's been more consistent but doesn't have a 9+ fWAR season like Bryce. That's Mike Trout territory. Not sure he'll ever get there again but if he could... man.

3 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Personally, just from a marketing standpoint, Harper is much more marketable than Machado. Machado is the better player IMO though.

I think it's pretty much a toss up who is better, but I do agree, Harper is the most marketable, and probably the most marketable guy in baseball. Plus, he hits LH. 

Harper is a guy that really could change the White Sox pattern of being ignored. Maybe the only one.

I changed too and basically it's over believing I'd rather take the better bat. Machado's formula is good-to-great bat + good to great defense + high valuable position.

That's amazing and he's a great player. But for a 10 year contract, things like the hits and xbh he may get from speed may diminish, and his lower % of walks makes me nervous that he could become just a slightly above average offensive player in some years. Harper's plus obp means he's going to be a good bat every year, with years of being an amazing bat. Not that machado can't grow in power too and have a sensational year.

And the argument is there that in average harper years you get no to negative defensive value while in average Machado years you get plus defensive value in a better position, but i just really want to make sure i'm getting an elite bat with $350 million.

• Like 3

Who else would it be?  Our commissioner would argue not Mike Trout.

Definitely not Kershaw.  After that signing, we’d have a thread 50 pages long dissecting why it wouldn’t work.

In all likelihood, it comes down to scouting.  The odds on Machado/Harper/Arenado aren’t much better than 1/4th or 1/3.  In all likelihood, we have to find another Carlos Quentin who is playing with someone else right now .  Of course, the REALLY hard part is separating a Marcell Ozuna from Christian Yelich.  Imagine that Yelich ended up in StL instead.

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it's pretty much a toss up who is better, but I do agree, Harper is the most marketable, and probably the most marketable guy in baseball. Plus, he hits LH. 

Harper is a guy that really could change the White Sox pattern of being ignored. Maybe the only one.

This is pretty much my feelings. Manny is an elite player, but not a household name. Bryce Harper can be an elite player (was not this year), and is a household name.

Edited by maggsmaggs

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

The tweet in question.

I find it hard to believe this is legit and they're making a pitch today. Isn't Hahn at the GM meetings?

Yeah I don't think they actually met today but I do think Harper is in Chicago. Maybe they're meeting tomorrow/this weekend. 

Reinsdorf’s smart enough to know Harper is the one player in baseball who really gives him the leverage is get another $20-30 million per year on that new t.v. rights deal.

Nobody else does it.  (He also knows the consequences if he ends up on the Northside.)

At any rate, they can’t even have a .500ish team this year without spending $80-100 million on this year’s payroll, so Harper becomes the most logical “all in” play to signal Sox fans this time is finally different.

It’s really quite simple.

(Then Puig joins in 2020, playoffs guaranteed.  Just kidding.  Was hoping for another shot from KYle about how bad an outfield of Jimenez, Harper and Gold Glove and Clemente-esque Puig in CF would be...but but but the POWER.  Then Jimenez moves to DH, Robert moves into CF, World Series practically guaranteed.)

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hahn is at meetings, but so is Boras. Again I really doubt Harper met with sox today but I wouldn't be surprised if some dialogue has begun and at least scheduling of a presentation like this.

Yeah, and if Harper was meeting with JR at the UC, it wouldn't be during a Hawks game. It would be during down time.

Edited by Dick Allen

But where are Kenny and Jerry????

If I was a betting man i would say that tweet is completely false and someone looking to get some internet fame.

As of last weekend he was in LV with his wife at a Backstreet Boys Concert. Unfortunately we cant track his plane like we can with athletic directors. :D

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Watch the Indians trade Kluber and then announce twin signings of Harper and Kimbrel with opt outs after 3 years on Harper and 2 on Kimbrel...

That would be an entirely awful idea by the Indians, and they're far less likely to sign Harper than the Sox.