White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

Just now, DH in the NL said:

I don’t know what makes it obvious? I haven’t read anything so far on it being displayed at the game tonight. 

Exactly, they were shooting (and/or preparing) their video presentation for Harper this morning.  It had absolutely nothing to do with the Blackhawks.  FWIW, Carmen Defalco said he got a text from someone that they were 99% sure it was for the presentation.

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

He'll probably meet with both the Sox and Cubs this weekend. I'd assume the meeting with the Sox will be at the United Center the day of the Bulls game.

Just fly MJ in to meet Harper. Offer the hair model a boat load of cash. Case closed.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have changed my position and would prefer Harper over Machado.

Same with me. Previously I preferred Machado. As this goes on, I more and more prefer Harper. Both for leadership, on field play, attitude and feeling safer he will give it his all for a long contract more than Manny might.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Same with me. Previously I preferred Machado. As this goes on, I more and more prefer Harper. Both for leadership, on field play, attitude and feeling safer he will give it his all for a long contract more than Manny might.

I agree.  I'd be more than happy with either, but I believe Harper would bring more to the team.  Not just in ability and leadership.  The attitude is something this team needs.  We've started to see guys like Anderson and Rodon bring that needed swagger.  Harper would amplify that.

• Like 1

Harper brings a dynamic no other available player brings. He doesn't have to be the best player in baseball. But he is the one that gets the most attention.  It would drastically change the perception of the White Sox. It is the one signing that would move the needle with season tickets, and coverage, ESPN would remember they exist, the Tribune would hire a beat writer, and it wouldn't be temporary. 

Boras bashed the AL Central the other day, White Sox included. So this is the longest of longshots. But JR knows what teams with stars do at the box office and with television ratings, so who knows,  he isn't  Michael Jordan, but maybe he's the Magic Johnson of  MLB,  so perhaps he goes nuts. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

I far and away, prefer Harper to Machado. Harper brings more than just the on field aspect...merchandising and ticket sales, like some others say, will come with Harper. Those are the things the front office care about.

And, it would show that we're FINALLY serious about spending money, and on a Boras client to boot...

42 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I far and away, prefer Harper to Machado. Harper brings more than just the on field aspect...merchandising and ticket sales, like some others say, will come with Harper. Those are the things the front office care about.

And, it would show that we're FINALLY serious about spending money, and on a Boras client to boot...

Pretty sure if you hand out a $300M contract to Machado, that still shows you're serious about spending.

I'm going to make this clear. The only way Harper is coming to the Sox is if it is part of a bold strategy shift by the White Sox (and offering Bryce $350M+ is a starting point) where they have set out a goal to be a premier professional sports franchise. Beyond landing Bryce, I think it takes a significant and bold statement from ownership regarding how they are going to run the franchise from a financial perspective, meaning they will spare no expense and are committed to running a sizeable payroll for the forseeable future (i.e., $175M+).  Bryce could absolutely be the catalyst for this change, but this could be that "momentum that matters" as an organization and it could be the opportunity to catapult the franchise into being something more than just the secondary franchise in Chicago (and in baseball in general).

Note: I am not implying they will pass the Cubs in popularity, however, they could take bold action and massively shift the dynamics and be one of the best professional sports franchises.  

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Hey a blast from the past! Welcome back @Capn12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

FWIW a friend told  MLB Network said the meeting with Harper and the Sox is happening today. 

I hope so and think Hahn can really sell this franchise on him. I think they’re going to pitch signing 3-4 studs after him as well and that it’s an all in move. Signing Harper, then adding even more reinforcements

Not sure if this has been said yet...but Harper played outfield next to Adam Eaton for a considerable amount of time...I'm sure Adam has told him his feelings about the Sox organization, which I don't really think Eaton had a very positive experience here. I wonder if that might play into Harper's decision.

Just now, Scoots said:

Not sure if this has been said yet...but Harper played outfield next to Adam Eaton for a considerable amount of time...I'm sure Adam has told him his feelings about the Sox organization, which I don't really think Eaton had a very positive experience here. I wonder if that might play into Harper's decision.

Well, he is leaving Adam Eaton behind.