White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Not sure if this has been said yet...but Harper played outfield next to Adam Eaton for a considerable amount of time...I'm sure Adam has told him his feelings about the Sox organization, which I don't really think Eaton had a very positive experience here. I wonder if that might play into Harper's decision.

Harper is way too old for Eaton to talk to

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm going to make this clear. The only way Harper is coming to the Sox is if it is part of a bold strategy shift by the White Sox (and offering Bryce $350M+ is a starting point) where they have set out a goal to be a premier professional sports franchise. Beyond landing Bryce, I think it takes a significant and bold statement from ownership regarding how they are going to run the franchise from a financial perspective, meaning they will spare no expense and are committed to running a sizeable payroll for the forseeable future (i.e., $175M+).  Bryce could absolutely be the catalyst for this change, but this could be that "momentum that matters" as an organization and it could be the opportunity to catapult the franchise into being something more than just the secondary franchise in Chicago (and in baseball in general).

Note: I am not implying they will pass the Cubs in popularity, however, they could take bold action and massively shift the dynamics and be one of the best professional sports franchises.  

It  could be just more that the Sox will have such a low payroll that they can afford the huge contract for the first time in history. The rebuilding players coming up will be cost controlled for most of the 10 year contract. The overall payroll may still be the same just a bunch of cost controlled guys and one massive contract.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm going to make this clear. The only way Harper is coming to the Sox is if it is part of a bold strategy shift by the White Sox (and offering Bryce $350M+ is a starting point) where they have set out a goal to be a premier professional sports franchise. Beyond landing Bryce, I think it takes a significant and bold statement from ownership regarding how they are going to run the franchise from a financial perspective, meaning they will spare no expense and are committed to running a sizeable payroll for the forseeable future (i.e., $175M+).  Bryce could absolutely be the catalyst for this change, but this could be that "momentum that matters" as an organization and it could be the opportunity to catapult the franchise into being something more than just the secondary franchise in Chicago (and in baseball in general).

Note: I am not implying they will pass the Cubs in popularity, however, they could take bold action and massively shift the dynamics and be one of the best professional sports franchises.  

Interesting thought, but I just do not see it happening. I genuinely hope that the fanbase is prepared for the possibility that this does not end up being a splashy offseason for the Sox. 

Could we go all in? Sure, but I still think continuing the rebuild and signing veteran bridge type players is more likely. The money is there to spend, but this team still has holes all over the place that cannot be addressed in one offseason. 

40 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Not sure if this has been said yet...but Harper played outfield next to Adam Eaton for a considerable amount of time...I'm sure Adam has told him his feelings about the Sox organization, which I don't really think Eaton had a very positive experience here. I wonder if that might play into Harper's decision.

He’s also probably aware that Adam Eaton is batshit crazy and wanted a 12 year old boy to be their captain.  I have zero concerns that Eaton could have an impact on us signjng Harper.

• Haha 1

After reading Boras comments and from what I see, Harper wants to be a star. He wants that spotlight bad and wants to be the common era babe ruth. I think Philly has a huge advantage over us in this regard and they also have a further along rebuild. I wonder how we will sell him on being that type of star here. Yeah it is Chicago, but we do not have that electric environment or feel that the Cubs have. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

After reading Boras comments and from what I see, Harper wants to be a star. He wants that spotlight bad and wants to be the common era babe ruth. I think Philly has a huge advantage over us in this regard and they also have a further along rebuild. I wonder how we will sell him on being that type of star here. Yeah it is Chicago, but we do not have that electric environment or feel that the Cubs have. 

Signing Harper would go a long way to get that electric environment.  Harper alone would increase interest.  A lot of other pieces are needed around him to create that team that competes right away.  But he would own Chicago, and the Sox would instantly be much more of a factor in the city.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That’s always been a big issue. Hard to imagine Boras letting him sign with a team with worst tv ratings 

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Signing Harper would go a long way to get that electric environment.  Harper alone would increase interest.  A lot of other pieces are needed around him to create that team that competes right away.  But he would own Chicago, and the Sox would instantly be much more of a factor in the city.

From a marketing standpoint, signing Bryce Harper does put you back on the map so to speak. 

14 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I agree completely. The question is does Harper want to risk his presence will do this and things will turn out fine over what Philly and SF already has? It would be interesting to see how Kenny and Hahn play this. 

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why would Boras care? If the Sox offered Harper and he accepted an extra $30m over the next best offer, I don't think he would.

I dont think extra money will play the big role we all think. Mainly because he will want an early opt out anyway to renegotiate the back end money. Front loading his contract would put us over the top imo. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I dont think extra money will play the big role we all think. Mainly because he will want an early opt out anyway to renegotiate the back end money. Front loading his contract would put us over the top imo. 

The Phillies can do that also though. This is reminding me of A-Rod part two.

I flat out don’t understand the way people characterize Philly. It’s a crappy mid-sized east coast city...guys, we live in Chicago!  The Phillies aren’t a big market team. Established franchise with a good fan base? Yeah. But philly isn’t glamorous 😂. It’s a poor-man’s Boston. 

Lived in Manhattan until earlier this year. Trust me nobody thinks of Philly as a big-time market lol. 

2 minutes ago, username said:

I flat out don’t understand the way people characterize Philly. It’s a crappy mid-sized east coast city...guys, we live in Chicago!  The Phillies aren’t a big market team. Established franchise with a good fan base? Yeah. But philly isn’t glamorous 😂. It’s a poor-man’s Boston. 

Lived in Manhattan until earlier this year. Trust me nobody thinks of Philly as a big-time market lol. 

Philly has a top 5 market. Our Sox are middle of the pack.