White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Philly has a top 5 market. Our Sox are middle of the pack. 

I don’t think that’s true. LA, both NY teams, SF, Houston have far bigger potential draws and that’s off the top of my head. Plus the Cubs. And BOS draws the entire NE area. 

4 minutes ago, username said:

I don’t think that’s true. LA, both NY teams, SF, Houston have far bigger potential draws and that’s off the top of my head. Plus the Cubs. And BOS draws the entire NE area. 

Google the stats and see for yourself. They are always between 5 and 9 in market rankings. The cities that have 2 teams split their markets. That's why the Sox have a lower market size.  

Edited by SonofaRoache

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Google the stats and see for yourself. They are always between 5 and 9 in market rankings. 

Just out of curiosity, what stats are you looking at? Curious because I work in the tourism industry and Chicago is a top 3 or 4 market.

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't think him following Joel Embiid has anything to do with the Phillies, but that's just me.

Nothin had anything to do with anything. This is just one reference, many others are on Twitter.

This time of year, all fan bases will look to any slight thing to wrest hope from... us Sox fans included.

Bottom line thou, no one knows anything.

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm going to make this clear. The only way Harper is coming to the Sox is if it is part of a bold strategy shift by the White Sox (and offering Bryce $350M+ is a starting point) where they have set out a goal to be a premier professional sports franchise. Beyond landing Bryce, I think it takes a significant and bold statement from ownership regarding how they are going to run the franchise from a financial perspective, meaning they will spare no expense and are committed to running a sizeable payroll for the forseeable future (i.e., $175M+).  Bryce could absolutely be the catalyst for this change, but this could be that "momentum that matters" as an organization and it could be the opportunity to catapult the franchise into being something more than just the secondary franchise in Chicago (and in baseball in general).

Note: I am not implying they will pass the Cubs in popularity, however, they could take bold action and massively shift the dynamics and be one of the best professional sports franchises.  

Shouldn’t this have been the goal all along, since Day 1, to be a “premier professional sports franchise”?

50 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Just out of curiosity, what stats are you looking at? Curious because I work in the tourism industry and Chicago is a top 3 or 4 market.

Google search baseball markets. There is a big difference between city market and baseball market. The Sox have the third largest market, but in terms of baseball, they are much smaller because the Cubs dominate the market. 

The Sox are in one of the top markets. They just need to get their rightful share of it.

The cubs do not own this town.   They fizzled out and choked in games 163 and 164 and people don't like chokers.  Their window to win another championship may be narrowing with Milwaukee rising in that division. S[ports fans are fickle....what have you done for them lately.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox are in one of the top markets. They just need to get their rightful share of it.

The cubs do not own this town.   They fizzled out and choked in games 163 and 164 and people don't like chokers.  Their window to win another championship may be narrowing with Milwaukee rising in that division. S[ports fans are fickle....what have you done for them lately.

If people dont like chokes why would they like us? Harper would help, but how do we get our rightful share when the Cubs are on a tear? 

17 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Chicago can handle 2 winners.

It has done it before.

But we aren't a winner yet and that's my point. We are also asking him to take a big leap of faith that it could happen. Whereas Philly is there now. This is also probably the reason most of the GMs feel he is signing in Philly. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Google search baseball markets. There is a big difference between city market and baseball market. The Sox have the third largest market, but in terms of baseball, they are much smaller because the Cubs dominate the market. 

That’s a flawed measurement though. That’s like saying Sox fans will never go to Wrigley or Cubs fans will never venture to Guaranteed Rate. If the Sox signed Harper, more Sox fans would attend games and Cubs fans would probably venture to the South Side to see Harper play.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That’s a flawed measurement though. That’s like saying Sox fans will never go to Wrigley or Cubs fans will never venture to Guaranteed Rate. If the Sox signed Harper, more Sox fans would attend games and Cubs fans would probably venture to the South Side to see Harper play.

I'm not buying this. Sox fans didn't flock to Wrigley to see Lester or Bryant or Heyward or anyone. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not buying this. Sox fans didn't flock to Wrigley to see Lester or Bryant or Heyward or anyone. 

And to be fair, I’d put Harper on a different level than any of those 3. Certainly more so with Lester and Heyward.

• Like 1