White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I didn’t say flock. Considering there was already an abnormal amount of Cubs fans at Sox game this past year, you don’t think that would only increase with Harper? 

They were probably there with a significant other or family member, not to see any Sox players. How many people here have gone to Wrigley to see a Cubs player? 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

None of those guys are on Harper's level. Not even close.

Well of course but my point is Sox fans aren't going to Wrigley to see anyone. Maybe a handful baseball purists will. And Kris Bryant isn't too far off from Harper when he was MVP. Everyone was ducking him off. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well of course but my point is Sox fans aren't going to Wrigley to see anyone. Maybe a handful baseball purists will. And Kris Bryant isn't too far off from Harper when he was MVP. Everyone was ducking him off. 

I can't speak for what Cub fans would do, but I'm 99.9% sure Sox fans would pack the ballpark almost every night if for no other reason than to see Harper. He's that much of an attention getter.

Just now, fathom said:

It would, but knowing Sox fans, they would actually have to be competitive for any immediate attendance gains from signing Bryce to stay consistent during the season.

I truly believe Bryce is the one guy that rule wouldn’t apply to.  He’d be our modern day Frank Thomas and actually drive fan interest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I can't speak for what Cub fans would do, but I'm 99.9% sure Sox fans would pack the ballpark almost every night if for no other reason than to see Harper. He's that much of an attention getter.

Look at our 2007 attendance. If we win, people will come. Harper alone will start it but we must win. 

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

I’ve said it many times this week and have been laughed at. Totally echo what Chisoxfn said....

This offseason could be historic for this team.

Not by me brother. I've been dreaming big time, Don't expect it to be historic and I wouldn't be upset if it isn't because it's a long shot but bring it on !

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not by me brother. I've been dreaming big time, Don't expect it to be historic and I wouldn't be upset if it isn't because it's a long shot but bring it on !

Yup... “could” is the operative word.

Godspeed brother.

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

If Harper turned down $300M from the Phil's what would he turn down from Chicago. Just wondering. 

Better question is what would he “accept” from Chicago to come to the South Side and help/lead turning our team’s fortunes around, and bringing a whole, lot more winning to 35th & Shields than any of us has ever seen!

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Correct, but that’s not what you said.

If the Sox add Bryce but don’t do much else and win 76 games, the park will have 13,000 in September. 

Win, and people will show. 

For what it's worth, if we were to add Bryce and nothing else of note, I'd be shocked. Landing one of these two whales would, in my opinion, coincide with a bunch of Cruz, Brantley, Happ type signings for the short-term. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

For what it's worth, if we were to add Bryce and nothing else of note, I'd be shocked. Landing one of these two whales would, in my opinion, coincide with a bunch of Cruz, Brantley, Happ type signings for the short-term. 

This. Signing Bryce Harper is like signing a guy like LeBron. You don’t sign LeBron and stop. There’s a master plan and then you execute the next set of moves once Harper is in the fold

5 hours ago, username said:

I flat out don’t understand the way people characterize Philly. It’s a crappy mid-sized east coast city...guys, we live in Chicago!  The Phillies aren’t a big market team. Established franchise with a good fan base? Yeah. But philly isn’t glamorous 😂. It’s a poor-man’s Boston. 

Lived in Manhattan until earlier this year. Trust me nobody thinks of Philly as a big-time market lol. 

Um. Go look up “top US cities by population.”

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Say the Sox add Harper and a couple other guys like Cruz, Donaldson, Happ, and a reliever. Combine that with hopeful improvements from Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Rodon, Lopez, etc and I would hope that team would win more than 76 games.

You can't just list 10 key guys and assume "Everything goes right for every single key guy". We should have learned long ago that baseball doesn't go that way. That said, upper 70s wins would be reasonable for that...but since they blew all their FA spending, well they might not be that much better the next year either. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You can't just list 10 key guys and assume "Everything goes right for every single key guy". We should have learned long ago that baseball doesn't go that way. That said, upper 70s wins would be reasonable for that...but since they blew all their FA spending, well they might not be that much better the next year either. 

“What could go wrong,” asks Adam Dunn.

”Nothing!” Replies Adam LaRoche.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You keep saying this, but no one is actually suggesting a “1%” outcome for every player is required for us to be competitive next year.  Let’s try to be objective here.  The Sox need to add about 20 WAR to be a contender in 2019.  That’s a huge number, but add Harper and the gap is suddenly 15.  Adding Donaldson shrinks it to 12.  Adding Cruz &  Happs shrinks it to 8.5.  And those aren’t 1% outcomes, but simply using what Steamer is projecting for veteran players and netting against our prior year production.

Then you got a future stud in Eloy Jimenez.  I find projection systems to regularly under project young players and yet Steamer has him at 2.6 WAR next year.  Let’s just call it 3 WAR since we know Eloy will be up ASAP based on Hahn’s recent comments.  That cuts the gap to 5.5 WAR.

On top of these additions, we also have quite a few talented players that should be better next year, the question with them is simply how much.  Moncada, Anderson, Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito are all 25 year old and former top 40 prospects.  These guys are still developing and could take massive leaps.  Last year they combined for 6.5 WAR.  Could these guys account for 12 WAR next year?  I don’t think a crazy expectation and nowhere near a 1% outcome.  Moncada at 4, Rodon & Lopez at 3, and Anderson at 2 gets us there.  That would require no improvement from Giolito, who is without question the biggest wild card in the group.  Does that really seem that crazy to you?  Mix and match as you please, that’s beauty of having a young developing core.

At the end of the day, if we can land a whale and a bunch of secondary pieces, we should be able put together a competitive team without “everything going right for every single guy”.  That doesn’t mean it’s foolproof, but it’s not nearly as daunting as you keep suggesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1