White Sox Bryce Harper FA pitch spoiler?

Sockin

Just now, hi8is said:

See the above correction. 

Youe so quick, we should start calling you “trigger”

You sure? I found these rules....

• Signing team receives revenue sharing money: Forfeits their third highest draft pick.
  • Signing team paid luxury tax during most recent season: Forfeits second and fifth highest draft picks, plus $1M in international bonus money.
  • All other teams: Forfeit second highest draft pick plus $500,000 in international bonus money.

Based on that, the Sox would give up their 2nd highest draft pick, plus $500K in INT'L money.

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You sure? I found these rules....

• Signing team receives revenue sharing money: Forfeits their third highest draft pick.
  • Signing team paid luxury tax during most recent season: Forfeits second and fifth highest draft picks, plus $1M in international bonus money.
  • All other teams: Forfeit second highest draft pick plus $500,000 in international bonus money.

Based on that, the Sox would give up their 2nd highest draft pick, plus $500K in INT'L money.

the package was surely superior in value to the compensatory pick the Nationals will receive should Harper depart in free agency, which, as Rosenthal notes, will come after the fourth round in next year’s draft, by virtue of the club exceeding the luxury tax total in 2018.”

- mlb trade rumors

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

the package was surely superior in value to the compensatory pick the Nationals will receive should Harper depart in free agency, which, as Rosenthal notes, will come after the fourth round in next year’s draft, by virtue of the club exceeding the luxury tax total in 2018.”

- mlb trade rumors

The pick that the Nats receive and the signing team gives up are not the same.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

- mlb trade rumors

So because Washington exceeded the luxury tax the signing team for Harper would only have to give up a pick after the fourth round?

Just now, DH in the NL said:

So because Washington exceeded the luxury tax the signing team for Harper would only have to give up a pick after the fourth round?

That’s the way I took it... chili has a different take on it though.

Apparently Scott Boras didn't always have the same attitude towards rebuilding as he does today. From the Washington Post:

Shortly into his tenure as the Managing Principal Owner of the Washington Nationals, Ted Lerner shared a conversation with agent Scott Boras. Lerner wanted information about free agents Boras represented, particularly first baseman Mark Teixeira, who loomed in a class to come. Their discussion both surprised Lerner and changed the course of his franchise. “I wanted to give advice that was relevant to having a good team,” Boras recalled.

Boras suggested Lerner consider a different approach than adding talent. First of all, Teixeira wanted to win and wouldn’t play for a rebuilding team like the Nationals. Second of all, Boras told Lerner, the Nationals had so little talent that even top-tier free agents wouldn’t change their lot. To get better, they would first have to get worse.

“That kind of started a process,” Boras said. “I told him, ‘Your objective is, you got to get the top picks, because the top picks that are coming are extraordinary. I would not follow that plan [adding through free agency], because you have too many holes and you don’t have a minor league system. If you really want to do what’s best for your franchise, I would focus on how I’m going to get those draft picks. When I look at this system, I wouldn’t be spending a great deal of money on major league players.’