3. Donaldson 3B

4. Abreu 1B

5. Jimenez LF

1. Palka DH
  2. Narvaez/Castillo C
  3. Anderson C
  4. Engel CF 

That lineup wouldn't be terrible.

Depends what Donaldson you are getting and if Brantley can stay healthy? 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Figure Brantley gets 3/45, Donaldson 2/42 and Allen 2/16? How much more would you expect them to add after spending $44 million per year on those guys? 

I don't think Donaldson gets close to that. Depends on how hihg theyre willing to go on the payroll. If its an all in year maybe $150M payroll . How much room does that leave ? Another $90M ? That should be enough room for Machado , a starting pitcher like Happ ,another reliever . You can skip Donaldson if you like and have Machado at 3rd or keep Donaldson play Machado at SS and try Timmy in CF.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think Donaldson gets close to that. Depends on how hihg theyre willing to go on the payroll. If its an all in year maybe $150M payroll . How much room does that leave ? Another $90M ? That should be enough room for Machado , a starting pitcher like Happ ,another reliever . You can skip Donaldson if you like and have Machado at 3rd or keep Donaldson play Machado at SS and try Timmy in CF.

I think it's too soon for the Sox to go all in on 2019. Remember we lost 100 games in 2018 and have a long way to go towards fielding a competitive roster. 

We need starting pitching, bullpen help, and offense. I'd rather skip the stopgap guys like Brantley, unless they feel our OF prospects won't get the job done down the line? 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why not ? He not so great in the OF and the main thing is his bat anyway. Saves his legs a lot of wear and tear. His bat OBP etc . I'd want to do everything I can to see another 1.100 OPS out of him.

I wouldn't due to positional value. 1B/DH types are not all that difficult to find or to sign as a free agent for much less than Harper will command. Maybe Harper converts to 1B/DH down the line, but I'd hope he can handle the outfield until age 30?

With his agent being Boras, I can't really picture Harper signing with the White Sox right now

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think it's too soon for the Sox to go all in on 2019. Remember we lost 100 games in 2018 and have a long way to go towards fielding a competitive roster. 

We need starting pitching, bullpen help, and offense. I'd rather skip the stopgap guys like Brantley, unless they feel our OF prospects won't get the job done down the line? 

God help this rebuild if they don’t think the OF prospects can help down the line.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Probably but I'm dreaming big based on all the rumors remember ? I believe them all . since it's more fun that way. Besides even looking at it objectively if the Sox really are seriousl about Machado then that advances the timetable on the rebuild . It also lines up with the new TV deal and they have the payroll to do it. SO me dreaming is also based on the cold hard facts. I'm just speculating on all the pieces and how they can be moved around. Brantley is a very solid piece when he's healthy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

God help this rebuild if they don’t think the OF prospects can help down the line.

Their plan could be short term help a la Donaldson/Brantley + FA starter + FA relief, but all signed to relatively short deals to not block prospects and give long term financial flexibility? 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Their plan could be short term help a la Donaldson/Brantley + FA starter + FA relief, but all signed to relatively short deals to not block prospects and give long term financial flexibility? 

That goes completely against what Hahn has said what the goal is, which is to find core players. Even if you add the 4 you suggest, is that even a .500 team?

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I wouldn't due to positional value. 1B/DH types are not all that difficult to find or to sign as a free agent for much less than Harper will command. Maybe Harper converts to 1B/DH down the line, but I'd hope he can handle the outfield until age 30?

With his agent being Boras, I can't really picture Harper signing with the White Sox right now

If you can get him I'm not going to quibble over his supposed diminished value playing 1st base I don't care if he gets the majority of his WAR from his bat. I prefer it. I think we get too hung up on value when all we should want is the best way to maximize how he hits. 1B/DH might not be all that difficult to find but 1.100 OPS sure is.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably but I'm dreaming big based on all the rumors remember ? I believe them all . since it's more fun that way. Besides even looking at it objectively if the Sox really are seriously about Machado then that advances the timetable on the rebuild . It also lines up with the new TV deal and they have the payroll to do it. SO me dreaming is also based on the cold hard facts. I'm just speculating on all the pieces and how they can be moved around. Brantley is a very solid piece when he's healthy.

Only issue with signing Machado, assuming he would play 3B, is where do you fit Moncada and Madrigal into the lineup in 2020? 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

That goes completely against what Hahn has said what the goal is, which is to find core players. Even if you add the 4 you suggest, is that even a .500 team?

No, I still do not know if we would be a .500 team. I really hope the Sox don't try for some catch lightning in a bottle crap and stick to rebuilding the right way.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you can get him I'm not going to quibble over his supposed diminished value playing 1st base I don't care if he gets the majority of his WAR from his bat. I prefer it.\I think we get too hung up on value when all we should want his the best way to maximize how he hits. 1B/DH might be all that difficult to find but 1.100 OPS sure is.

Harper was nowhere near a 1.100 OPS in 2018

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

They can help . Maybe you get Harper or Machado and they come with opt outs in year 3 . We will sure have an idea who amongst the OF er in the minors who can play and who can't. If the opt out last longer then you trade some you keep some and if you know they (Harper/Machado) will opt out then you see who wants  them at the deadline and refresh your minor league talent and keep the window open longer.