Michael Brantley to Astros 2/32M

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Only issue with signing Machado, assuming he would play 3B, is where do you fit Moncada and Madrigal into the lineup in 2020? 

No, I still do not know if we would be a .500 team. I really hope the Sox don't try for some catch lightning in a bottle crap and stick to rebuilding the right way.

I've already layed that out. Machado could play third or short. If 3rd no Donaldson . If SS Donaldson and Tim Anderson in CF . Now Engel can be out of the starting lineup.

I don't care about great problems to have. Give me more of those kind of problems.

39 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Harper/Machado? Yes, of course. But Brantley is a quality supplemental piece, but not a game changer for me. 

I really thought I made my over all plan clear. It's get guys to put around Harper or Machado, we trade Abreu and non tender Avi, frees up cash. Don't know who you get for Abreu. Lets ignore that for now. I'm also ignoring pitchers we may have to sign to concentrate on the lineup. Cruz isn't a necessity nor is Donaldson depending on which of the big 2 you get. Lineup on the left is with Harper . Lineup on the right is with Machado.

1b Harper                                                    or  1B Keep Abreu or Palka if Abreu traded

2B Moncada                                                       2B  Moncada

SS Timmy                                                             SS  Machado/Timmy

3B Donaldson                                                       3B  Machado/Donaldson

C Castillo                                                                  C Castillo

LF Eloy                                                                       LF  Eloy

RF Brantley                                                                RF   Brantley

CF ( maybe the guy we get for Abreu.)                  CF Timmy

DH Nelson Cruz, Abreu,Palka, Davidson,Harper

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Phillies are rumored to be the front runners on Harper and perhaps others too. They're a legit big market team and willing to spend.

Yes, but I feel like usually the top tier guys are signed first which kind of sets the market for the lower tier guys.  So I don't know whether to believe 2 teams that are supposed big players in Harper and/or Machado are making offers to other guys before they are signed.

Just now, Leonard Zelig said:

Yes, but I feel like usually the top tier guys are signed first which kind of sets the market for the lower tier guys.  So I don't know whether to believe 2 teams that are supposed big players in Harper and/or Machado are making offers to other guys before they are signed.

Might be that way this year, might not. Remember how many last year were left over and got scraps like Moustaskas ,Melky and others. Maybe 2nd tier guys sign earlier since what Machado and Harper get is so far above what they ( 2nd tier guys) are going to get.

If you're the Indians, you simply HAVE to be prioritizing Lindor and Jose Ramirez contracts down the line...and trying to determine which 1 or 2 starting pitchers (Bauer/Carrasco/Clevinger) you might be willing to extend, knowing some of those starting pitching contracts don't exactly work out well, and also not sure what to make of Bauer's unorthodox workout regimen.

Encarnacion, Kluber and Kipnis represent $50 million of payroll.  That's a lot for a small market like CLE, with limited broadcasting rights revenues.

They're going to have to be creative with some of their more desirable (but expensive) players like Yan Gomes...maybe package him with Encarnacion to clear payroll?   Kluber has options for 2020/21 and Carrasco for 2020, so there's certainly a compelling reason to trade ONE of those two, let's say, Kluber to the Yankees.

Kipnis would seem to be an impossible player to move, they're going to have to wait for a potential rebound in 2019.

If they can re-inject some young prospects into their organization to replace Mejia (Hand trade) and replenish the everyday line-up, that's probably a risk they're going to have to take if they can't carry those two top-line salaries.

3 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Boras historically drags the big signings out to maximize the competition, real or imagined

Edited by ptatc

Brantley has had some decent RBI seasons to cite an old school stat. He doesn't bang a lot of home runs. My eye test surrounding him has always been positive.  The fact he draws a lot of walks makes me think he's a pretty good baseball player.  He's a three-time all star. Not a bad addition in greg's eyes.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lindor already turned down an early extension for nine figures. 

So what do you do if you're the Indians?

Trade both Ramirez and especially Lindor and you risk losing that fanbase forever...the only thing working in their favor right now is LeBron being gone, but even the Browns eventually are going to turn things around and soak up 75% of the attention in that town.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Trade both Ramirez and especially Lindor and you risk losing that fanbase forever...the only thing working in their favor right now is LeBron being gone, but even the Browns eventually are going to turn things around and soak up 75% of the attention in that town.

Try to plug the holes in the bullpen using the talent that they have built up, take advantage of their strong starting rotation  and the fact that every other team in this division is so weak to make 1 or 2 more playoff  runs, see if you can  hit a groove and win a title in there, then figure out what you need to do.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I have no idea why they would even consider tearing what they have down right now. They have been given a gift in the fact no other team in their division is average. They need to play with this as long as they can.

I guess they think trading some of their guys for prospects still keeps them good enough to win the division while addressing the future. I think they need to focus on being the best team they can be and try to win the WS. 

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Another injury prone, post peak “good not great” player. 

At least this one isn’t a pitcher. I only have interest in this if he makes less than expected. Good player, wrong fit. 

Very well put. Good player, not a fit right now. I can see that being changed if we make a few substantial signings (for instance harper/Machado ++) as then his high OBP could be of great use, but as our team is constructed now, without Machado/Harper, we aren't going anywhere so no to Brantley. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Very well put. Good player, not a fit right now. I can see that being changed if we make a few substantial signings (for instance harper/Machado ++) as then his high OBP could be of great use, but as our team is constructed now, without Machado/Harper, we aren't going anywhere so no to Brantley. 

Brantley, if healthy, would be a helpful addition to the roster on no more than a 3 year deal. He's not getting any younger, but I think he still has 2-3 productive season left in the tank.

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have no idea why they would even consider tearing what they have down right now. They have been given a gift in the fact no other team in their division is average. They need to play with this as long as they can.

I guess they think trading some of their guys for prospects still keeps them good enough to win the division while addressing the future. I think they need to focus on being the best team they can be and try to win the WS. 

Exactly. They aren't going to do a complete tear down for at least a few years. They have 4 good SP and up the middle, they have an extremely talented middle infield of Lindor and Ramirez. It's the perfect building blocks to build off of.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Exactly. They aren't going to do a complete tear down for at least a few years. They have 4 good SP and up the middle, they have an extremely talented middle infield of Lindor and Ramirez. It's the perfect building blocks to build off of.

Cleveland may see this as an opportunity to reload and not go through a full scale rebuilding? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that. I just don't see how trading Kluber helps them in their quest to win a WS. Is the goal to win it all now, or be decent 5 years from now?

Well, I think in their defense, if they think Kluber is going to decline and they can get acceptable production from bullpen/rotational creativity, the trade allows them to not just find another cheap inhouse candidate, but also get bullets to load up for future trades. They are still a pretty good farm all things considered, but they traded away a lot and missed out on WS, gonna be pretty tapped out soon.

I don't think this is a white flag at all. They'll probably end up just as good.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that. I just don't see how trading Kluber helps them in their quest to win a WS. Is the goal to win it all now, or be decent 5 years from now?

He's controlled for 2 years as well so even if they did trade him (doubt they will), they will get something good that should help sooner than later.