Jose Abreu

Sox have reportedly offered Michael Brantley a contract

Believe everything. This offseason could be historic for this team.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sign all the free agents?

Obviously no... but something historic is very possible.

When is the last time you can recall that this teams payroll commitment was ~15% of league average going into an offseason?

Edited by hi8is

1 minute ago, fathom said:

will he be at the Hawks game tonight?

Reports of a Michael Brantley jersey on the Jordan statue. 

• Thanks 1

After losing 100 games, spending significant money on a 31 year old outfielder doesn't seem ideal...

1 minute ago, Tony said:

After losing 100 games, spending significant money on a 31 year old outfielder doesn't seem ideal...

If you get Machado sure, but otherwise the focus should be on whale free agents & smaller pieces.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

hypothetically if you sign him, that would mean no Bryce obviously.  Would hope Manny is in play

I wouldn’t think that to be an obvious assumption.

2B - Moncada

LF - Brantley 

CF - Harper

RF - Eloy

1B - Abreu 

DH - Palka / Davidson

3B - Sanchez

C - Navarro / Castillo

SS - Anderson  

Edited by hi8is

1 minute ago, Tony said:

One concern I have is that he’s bad on defense and limited to LF.  That would force Eloy to RF which isn’t ideal.  To be honest, he seems like a great fit for Braves to replace Markakis.

I never really thought brantley would get that much. I like him though. Surprised he'd be an early signing.

Just now, bmags said:

I never really thought brantley would get that much. I like him though. Surprised he'd be an early signing.

Brantley is a good player when healthy for sure, and would come much cheaper than Harper. I would imagine a realistic Sox plan would revolve around Brantley, a starting pitcher or two and bullpen help.

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What is the expectation of an offer?  3/$45?

I included him in my offseason plan for like, 3/54. I think he could be somewhere between my guess and yours.

Goodness he NEVER and i mean NEVER strikes out.. Maybe this is for a good leadership presense for the young guys (Moncada and Anderson) to learn from.. Maybe like Bryant learned from Zobrist

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Brantley is a good player when healthy for sure, and would come much cheaper than Harper. I would imagine a realistic Sox plan would revolve around Brantley, a starting pitcher or two and bullpen help.

Which certainly doesn't move the needle much for the future, and puts basically all of our eggs in the sign Arenado or Rendon basket.  

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know what to believe anymore.

Believe it all. Just because they could be targeting a bunch of guys doesn't mean they intend on signing them all. Like looking for a corner OF bat, they would obviously grab one and stop pursing others. Off-season talks are always fluid and things are always changing.

• Like 1