Michael Brantley to Astros 2/32M

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah would be a good complimentary signing but would hope he’s not main acquisition

Right, I am fine with Brantley as a stopgap option as we wait for the wave of OF prospects to be ready.  But at some point the Sox will need to make splash and sign a star.  If they don't, they're never going to be a real WS contender.  

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Believe it all. Just because they could be targeting a bunch of guys doesn't mean they intend on signing them all. Like looking for a corner OF bat, they would obviously grab one and stop pursing others. Off-season talks are always fluid and things are always changing.

The problem is their reason to believe we’re actually pursuing Harper, so it would be pretty shocking to make a for al offer for a far lesser option.  I don’t buy it.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is their reason to believe we’re actually pursuing Harper, so it would be pretty shocking to make a for al offer for a far lesser option.  I don’t buy it.

Yeah they could easily be being used right now by agents since they have so much payroll flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I believe everything. It's more fun that way. So in that vein Brantley could be a fall back OF in the likely event Harper doesn't sign with us,

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I believe everything. It's more fun that way. So in that vein Brantley could be a fall back OF in the likely event Harper doesn't sign with us,

You would think that many free agents would wait for Harper/Machado to sign prior to signing themselves^

Teams might feel pressured to react to a division rival making a big move? 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Plot twist: they sign both Harper AND Brantley

Not completely unbelievable.  That would tie up about $45-$50 million per, and they can afford that.  But signing both would signify going for it, and without adding some pitching there's no way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

You would think that many free agents would wait for Harper/Machado to sign prior to signing themselves^

Teams might feel pressured to react to a division rival making a big move? 

Might not be that way . Last year guys kept waiting and waiting until they got scraps. I expect some early signings and the winter meetings to be very robust.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Although not ideal, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if this happened. It's much better than not doing anything.

Yes, and no^

It's something for sure, but we still would be nowhere close to contending with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros in the AL

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Might excite you if it was only the beginning of who they sign. ;)

Figure Brantley gets 3/45, Donaldson 2/42 and Allen 2/16? How much more would you expect them to add after spending $44 million per year on those guys?