Jump to content
Jose Abreu

Sox have reportedly offered Michael Brantley a contract

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Which certainly doesn't move the needle much for the future, and puts basically all of our eggs in the sign Arenado or Rendon basket.  

Yeah would be a good complimentary signing but would hope he’s not main acquisition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

3/45 was the MLBTR prediction. I could see it.

Brantley does not have draft pick compensation attached, which is noteworthy to a degree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah would be a good complimentary signing but would hope he’s not main acquisition

Right, I am fine with Brantley as a stopgap option as we wait for the wave of OF prospects to be ready.  But at some point the Sox will need to make splash and sign a star.  If they don't, they're never going to be a real WS contender.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Believe it all. Just because they could be targeting a bunch of guys doesn't mean they intend on signing them all. Like looking for a corner OF bat, they would obviously grab one and stop pursing others. Off-season talks are always fluid and things are always changing.

The problem is their reason to believe we’re actually pursuing Harper, so it would be pretty shocking to make a for al offer for a far lesser option.  I don’t buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

To me this all depends on the years and money and the bigger plan.  

Exactly. Next we'll be hearing about the Sox interest in Donaldson. Book it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is their reason to believe we’re actually pursuing Harper, so it would be pretty shocking to make a for al offer for a far lesser option.  I don’t buy it.

Yeah they could easily be being used right now by agents since they have so much payroll flexibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is their reason to believe we’re actually pursuing Harper, so it would be pretty shocking to make a for al offer for a far lesser option.  I don’t buy it.

I believe everything. It's more fun that way. So in that vein Brantley could be a fall back OF in the likely event Harper doesn't sign with us,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly. Next we'll be hearing about the Sox interest in Donaldson. Book it .

"Sox go all in by signing Brantley, Donaldson and Cody Allen!" = the headline 

Sadly that would excite no one here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I believe everything. It's more fun that way. So in that vein Brantley could be a fall back OF in the likely event Harper doesn't sign with us,

You would think that many free agents would wait for Harper/Machado to sign prior to signing themselves^

Teams might feel pressured to react to a division rival making a big move? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Plot twist: they sign both Harper AND Brantley

Sure then put Harper at 1st base, non tender Avi. ABreu traded. Eloy in LF Brantley in RF, easy peazy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Plot twist: they sign both Harper AND Brantley

Not completely unbelievable.  That would tie up about $45-$50 million per, and they can afford that.  But signing both would signify going for it, and without adding some pitching there's no way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

"Sox go all in by signing Brantley, Donaldson and Cody Allen!" = the headline 

Sadly that would excite no one here

How dare you forget bringing back Shields!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

"Sox go all in by signing Brantley, Donaldson and Cody Allen!" = the headline 

Sadly that would excite no one here

Although not ideal, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if this happened. It's much better than not doing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

You would think that many free agents would wait for Harper/Machado to sign prior to signing themselves^

Teams might feel pressured to react to a division rival making a big move? 

Might not be that way . Last year guys kept waiting and waiting until they got scraps. I expect some early signings and the winter meetings to be very robust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Plot twist: they sign both Harper AND Brantley

Eloy Harper Brantley might be the worst defensive OF ever ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Brantley is the main acquisition, I would rather they just keep Avi one more season and see if he puts it all together.  I know I keep saying this, but the key is to find core guys for 3 years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Eloy Harper Brantley might be the worst defensive OF ever ha

Oh stop, you know one of them would get hurt and Engel would play all season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Although not ideal, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if this happened. It's much better than not doing anything.

Yes, and no^

It's something for sure, but we still would be nowhere close to contending with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros in the AL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

"Sox go all in by signing Brantley, Donaldson and Cody Allen!" = the headline 

Sadly that would excite no one here

Might excite you if it was only the beginning of who they sign. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steveno89 said:

Yes, and no^

It's something for sure, but we still would be nowhere close to contending with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros in the AL

We would definitely have some potential trade chips for the summer that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Might excite you if it was only the beginning of who they sign. ;)

Figure Brantley gets 3/45, Donaldson 2/42 and Allen 2/16? How much more would you expect them to add after spending $44 million per year on those guys? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×