Jose Abreu wins Silver Slugger

southsider2k5

On 11/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, turnin' two said:

Seems like you don't realize a whole lot of things.  

Let me know if you have any extra of those rose colored glasses you put on when evaluating Abreu. It must be nice to envision Jose as this perennial MVP type player the way you and others do. 

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

Let me know if you have any extra of those rose colored glasses you put on when evaluating Abreu. It must be nice to envision Jose as this perennial MVP type player the way you and others do. 

My glasses must have an extra tinge of rose, because what I see with this Silver Slugger over his five years now with the Sox is a 162 game average featuring a .295 batting average, 32 homers, 107 RBIs, 39 doubles, and an .869 OPS.  Only one year, this one, failing to reach 25+ homeruns and 100+ RBIs, and that due to injury.

If you can’t appreciate Jose Abreu as a very good baseball player, well then, I really don’t know what to tell you, other than the numbers speak for themselves.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Hot Fire, I love you in a message board kinda way, but what about Abreu's stats the last four years (last season was his outlier) upset you? He's a stud IMO. By anybody's standards he should be considered a B or B-plus on an ABCDF scale.

4 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Maybe your problem is you expect him to be an MVP.  He doesn't need to be.  Just a really good hitter.  That's what he is, and has always been.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:10 PM, greg775 said:

Hot Fire, I love you in a message board kinda way, but what about Abreu's stats the last four years (last season was his outlier) upset you? He's a stud IMO. By anybody's standards he should be considered a B or B-plus on an ABCDF scale.

So a stud is a B-? What's an A- or A? A mega stud? People just overrate him and get personally offended if you criticize him in any way. He is a solid, above average hitter who can't field his position for squat and doesn't hit when it matters. He is a tremendous clubhouse influence. 

18 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

So a stud is a B-? What's an A- or A? A mega stud? People just overrate him and get personally offended if you criticize him in any way. He is a solid, above average hitter who can't field his position for squat and doesn't hit when it matters. He is a tremendous clubhouse influence. 

Nobody is offended, we're just pointing out that what you're saying is demonstrably untrue. Yes, he is a solid hitter. Yes, he is a poor defender. Yes, he is a good clubhouse guy. But "he doesn't hit when it matters" is just flat out wrong. His career OPS by leverage is remarkably consistent. His month by month career splits show that he is an above average hitter in every month of the season. You saying he can't hit "when it matters" is just the manifestation of some weird bias against him. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Nobody is offended, we're just pointing out that what you're saying is demonstrably untrue. Yes, he is a solid hitter. Yes, he is a poor defender. Yes, he is a good clubhouse guy. But "he doesn't hit when it matters" is just flat out wrong. His career OPS by leverage is remarkably consistent. His month by month career splits show that he is an above average hitter in every month of the season. You saying he can't hit "when it matters" is just the manifestation of some weird bias against him. 

To be fair, he’s been pretty awful in high leverage situations during his Sox career according to fangraphs

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, he’s been pretty awful in high leverage situations during his Sox career according to fangraphs

What does Fangraphs define as high leverage? What I see on bbref is a career .882 OPS in low leverage, .855 in medium leverage, and .862 in high leverage

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

That's a fair post. I didn't know you were willing to praise him much at all. I'd just like to see him play with Eloy and some of the others when we become contenders. I'd rather have he and Avi be our veteran presences than some guys from other teams.