Cubs Open to Trading Kris Bryant

GGajewski18

24 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

What he said is being blown out of proportion. Bryant is not getting dealt. 

Theo Epstein, the head of baseball operations, was asked earlier this week at the GM meetings about the availability of Bryant and first baseman Anthony Rizzo in trades.

"We've never operated with untouchables," he said. "It sends the wrong message. Given what we're trying to accomplish, it would be virtually impossible to envision the deal that would make sense to move them. I just don't believe in untouchables. Why limit yourself?"

The basis of this article is Olneys anonymous sources on what Theo is telling other GMs. Not these quotes, although they are added in the article.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is literally the first thing that went through my head. If that is the case, I doubt he'd get much of a return in relation to a player of his caliber because he'd have trouble passing a physical, as crazy as that sounds. 

I've been wondering for a while whether Bryant made a mistake in not taking an extension pre-injury and this kinda does fit with that.

Just now, Donaldo said:

Exactly.  He didn't look very good when he came off the DL last year, and he might never be what he once was.

Keep it.

just tossing it out there - he might be much more available and reasonably priced as a bounce back candidate next offseason than this year maybe, if his shoulder really does have issues the Cubs could be much more willing to move on after another lost year?

I think everyone know this, but trading a bunch of high-end prospects for Bryant defeats the purpose of the rebuild we've been suffering through. We don't need to be trading away our top prospects for a guy who will sign elsewhere in 3 years. The Sox need to augment their prospects with free agent signings, so they are adding to the organization's assets.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I've been wondering for a while whether Bryant made a mistake in not taking an extension pre-injury and this kinda does fit with that.

It's always a joy when Boras  over-plays his hand but I support the players. Trickle-down only works for the elites.