Luis Robert tearing it up in the AFL

Real

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you ever come to Soxtalk to actually discuss baseball or is it to project your personal issues on others?

I come here to discuss my optimism but you pollute every thread with your dark cloud.  

I wish I understood you better.  At some point you had to have been happy with White Sox baseball, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Rushed ? 

Talent evaluation is the key more than the timing of a call-up . If a player has the talent they will make it whether they are 21, 22 or 26.

Devers, Benintendi,,,so many young guys  make it without complaints about being rushed.

Luis Robert has 140 plate appearances in High A.  Your theory was since Adam Engel was not ready (despite over a thousand PA’s above that level) and given the the major league CF job that we should hand Luis the job next season.  That’s the definition of a rush job and makes no sense.  Your examples didn’t completely skip the two upper levels of the minors.

14 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

I come here to discuss my optimism but you pollute every thread with your dark cloud.  

I wish I understood you better.  At some point you had to have been happy with White Sox baseball, right?

So anyone with an opinion different than yours is wrong or a troll or whatever else  you have called others. Got it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So anyone with an opinion different than yours is wrong or a troll or whatever else  you have called others. Got it. 

To your credit, it's not really trolling, it's just a dark cloud everywhere.  It's your "you might as well be disappointed because this front office has thrown away the team" type takes.  They're simply not true.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Luis Robert has 140 plate appearances in High A.  Your theory was since Adam Engel was not ready (despite over a thousand PA’s above that level) and given the the major league CF job that we should hand Luis the job next season.  That’s the definition of a rush job and makes no sense.  Your examples didn’t completely skip the two upper levels of the minors.

There is no question LuisRobert has a ton of ability. But until he shows he can stay on the field and perform consistently , he is a huge question mark. I am pretty sure I am not unique expecting more at this point. He is stilll highly regarded, but he has missed a lot of plying. First with his journey to the US. Then constant injuries. Sometimes guys never make that up. Hopefully he can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

To your credit, it's not really trolling, it's just a dark cloud everywhere.  It's your "you might as well be disappointed because this front office has thrown away the team" type takes.  They're simply not true.

Next time I post it, show me where I am wrong, I am sure we can all learn from you. Another poster was a troll because his post didn’t meet your approval. It is too bad your expertise is being wasted rating message board posts.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no question LuisRobert has a ton of ability. But until he shows he can stay on the field and perform consistently , he is a huge question mark. I am pretty sure I am not unique expecting more at this point. He is stilll highly regarded, but he has missed a lot of plying. First with his journey to the US. Then constant injuries. Sometimes guys never make that up. Hopefully he can.

I’m not worried about Robert.  He’s still just 21 years and has the same crazy tools that we were excited about in the first place.  He most definitely need to stay healthy in 2019, but if he does I’m confident the results will be positive.

25 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I might be crazy but I think that if he stayed healthy, we’re looking at a top fifteen prospect 

If you're crazy, I'm insane, because I think a healthy Luis Robert has as high of a ceiling as any prospect in baseball not named Vlad

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

Adam Engel's stats in 2017-2018 according to baseballreference.com:

730 At bats

.207 batting average

246 strike-outs

12 HR

Was Engel "ready" for major league baseball or was he brought up to try to adjust to major league pitching on the fly  to see how that worked out?

Why wouldn't Robert be given the same chance ?   If he continues to play well in Spring Training, no reason he should not replace Engel on the 25 man roster. His speed on the bases along with that of Tim Anderson and Moncada would be formidable.  Engel is  DFA material.

They are in far different roles as everyone else here knows. No one is strategizing how to maximize Engel's development or potential. Just give him a uniform until you give it to someone  else. 

Luis Robert has a .960 OPS in the AFL and is showing all of the tools that make him a potential top 20 prospect in the sport. There's no reason to complain about this. We all know he needs to stay healthy. This is him though. If he's healthy, he'll move to AA and spend majority of summer there where I expect the results to look similar. 

• Like 2

I don't take much away from the AFL results, beyond Robert remaining healthy, and looking like he belongs.

I take MORE away from his middling 81 WRC+ in A+, which suggests to me that he should start 2019 in A+, and only move up once he's proven himself by right of performance.  [Yes, we all know he had the injuries and the long layoff from competitive play, and he's young and raw, and whatever other excuse we want to pile onto him having a middling performance in A+ last season.]

Of course, this being the White Sox, and knowing that RH/KW have the patience of a virgin on prom night, I fully expect him to be stupidly rushed up to AA to start 2019.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Your theory was since Adam Engel was not ready (despite over a thousand PA’s above that level) and given the the major league CF job that we should hand Luis the job next season.

That was not my theory.  My opinion is that any decision about promoting a player should be predicated on a talent evaluation of the specific player, not on age, their progression through the ranks of the minor league, time spent in those leagues, and plate appearances.

I have already seen opinions expressed that Luis Robert lacked power and that he is prone to injury.  I do not think either of those has merit.

Don't rule out the possibility that Robert can make it to the majors next year. I think it can happen and if I am wrong, it won't be the first or last time.

I think Robert is better than Engel right now....by a lot.

13 minutes ago, tray said:

My opinion is that any decision about promoting a player should be predicated on a talent evaluation of the specific player, not on age, their progression through the ranks of the minor league, time spent in those leagues, and plate appearances.

If its talent alone that dictates promotion, then I'd have to disagree.

A far smarter baseball man in town recently stated that his org should "scout based on outcomes, rather than just on talent." I similarly happen to think that promotions should be based upon outcomes/performance FIRST and foremost.

While I'll agree that talent is important, I'll also argue that outcomes matter a fuck-ton. Promoting Moncada to AAA to start 2017 after he'd K'ed in ~31% of his PA in AA in 2016 was fucking stupid. [Think about how many more vomit-inducing Ks he would have had if he didn't have a miraculous Sept/Oct this season.] At the same time, promoting Robert to AA to start 2019 after he missed time with injuries, and had a middling 81 wrc+ in A+ would be stupid.

Let Robert, and any other talented prospect EARN their promotion, based on how they perform, NOT "simply" based on their talent level, IMO. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

With regard to Senzel you have to ask yourself if you'd trade Eloy for the package in return because Senzel is a top 5 prospect in the game. 

Why the fuck would the Sox trade Eloy, a better prospect than Senzel, for Senzel?

Edited by soxfan49

31 minutes ago, tray said:

Your theory was since Adam Engel was not ready (despite over a thousand PA’s above that level) and given the the major league CF job that we should hand Luis the job next season.

That was not my theory.  My opinion is that any decision about promoting a player should be predicated on a talent evaluation of the specific player, not on age, their progression through the ranks of the minor league, time spent in those leagues, and plate appearances.

I have already seen opinions expressed that Luis Robert lacked power and that he is prone to injury.  I do not think either of those has merit.

Don't rule out the possibility that Robert can make it to the majors next year. I think it can happen and if I am wrong, it won't be the first or last time.

I think Robert is better than Engel right now....by a lot.

Yes, he is.  If he gets off to a good start in 2019, and if Engel struggles at the plate, Robert should be in Chicago.

3 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

#garbagedickallensays

Seriously, the dude is unreal.

Onc e again, you take things out of context. I pointed out Engels AFL numbers  as a reason, like spring training, not to take too much from them. 

Next season will be far more telling.

Edited by Dick Allen