Creative Trades

reiks12

20 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Damn ya, really got me there. I shouldn't have capitalized "exactly". Totally roasted. :huh

Anyway, if that's true that you said it was very possible that the Sox and Cubs would make a blockbuster, despite the overwhelming narrative being that they would never, then I guess I just need to wait for you to shift your opinion on a prospect for prospect trade so it can become a feasible course of action for Rick Hahn.

OK I found the podcast that Hahn made the quote and the thread where I think it was Chisox59 that did a recap on it. It was from August 2nd and Chisox59 said "prospect for prospect". When I listened to the podcast I was also trying to do the other research and tuned some of it out so I didn't hear the exact quote but its in that Rick Hahn Unplugged podcast from that date and it's from NBCSN the Garfien podcast from Reggies.

As for the Cubs/Sox trade I remember me and Blacksox13 both thought it was a good idea and they matched up well. He could probably back me up on that if he reads this but I haven't seen him posting very much lately.

15 hours ago, Buehrlesque said:

Creative trades you say?

Angels get: Luis Robert, Nick Madrigal, Dylan Cease, Dane Dunning
Sox get: Mike Trout

That's four top-100 prospects for two years of Trout. Who says no?

If we were actually a playoff team, that would probably be a pretty realistic trade. Obviously 2 years of Trout doesn't fit the time frame though.

My point wasn't that I didn't believe you may have proposed a Sox/Cubs trade, my point is that the idea of the Sox and Cubs ever making a blockbuster move was OVERWHELMINGLY considered off-limits or unrealistic. And yet, it happened. So just because a lot of people are ready to say a prospect-for-prospect trade rarely happens, ALSO does not mean it's not a possibility or something that Rick Hahn should explore.

Avisail Garcia for Julio Teheran. 

Braves have a SP prospect crunch, and Teheran is about the eighth most interesting contender for a spot. He is useful as an innings eater, though, and might have some upside left. He is also on the “expensive” end of an early career extension he signed. Sox need an innings eater with upside. Braves need an affordable RF replacement for Markakis. Teheran is more valuable than Avi, but he is also due more money. The Braves then get to open a spot in their rotation, get a flyer for RF, and actually save money so they can still search for a bigger fish on FA. Sox are gonna sign a FA starter to eat innings anyway, and this is better than they’re going to get for what they’ll pay. 

Perfect match. 

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Braves have a SP prospect crunch, and Teheran is about the eighth most interesting contender for a spot. He is useful as an innings eater, though, and might have some upside left. He is also on the “expensive” end of an early career extension he signed. Sox need an innings eater with upside. Braves need an affordable RF replacement for Markakis. Teheran is more valuable than Avi, but he is also due more money. The Braves then get to open a spot in their rotation, get a flyer for RF, and actually save money so they can still search for a bigger fish on FA. Sox are gonna sign a FA starter to eat innings anyway, and this is better than they’re going to get for what they’ll pay. 

Perfect match. 

I was initially ready to roast this for thinking the Braves would give up anything of value for Avi, but then I realized that Teheran has only been a 1.1 and a 0.7 fWAR over the last 2 seasons, while making $11M and $12M over his final 2 years in 2019 and 2020. He's had a few seasons of REALLY GOOD control numbers, and then some awful ones recently. I guess this would be a decent chance for the Sox to try to salvage his arm and possibly flip him in July, especially if Cease or Dunning are ready, or even next winter. The monetary cost shouldn't be much of anything, especially if we can get the Braves to even toss in $3M to cover the difference from Avi to Teheran. 

This really would be a decent chance for the Braves to make a salary dump. Hell, they could even non-tender Avi if they really wanted to just save money and use that $11M on someone like Carlos Gonzalez until Pache is ready to be promoted to the OF. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was initially ready to roast this for thinking the Braves would give up anything of value for Avi, but then I realized that Teheran has only been a 1.1 and a 0.7 fWAR over the last 2 seasons, while making $11M and $12M over his final 2 years in 2019 and 2020. He's had a few seasons of REALLY GOOD control numbers, and then some awful ones recently. I guess this would be a decent chance for the Sox to try to salvage his arm and possibly flip him in July, especially if Cease or Dunning are ready, or even next winter. The monetary cost shouldn't be much of anything, especially if we can get the Braves to even toss in $3M to cover the difference from Avi to Teheran. 

This really would be a decent chance for the Braves to make a salary dump. Hell, they could even non-tender Avi if they really wanted to just save money and use that $11M on someone like Carlos Gonzalez until Pache is ready to be promoted to the OF. 

Sox could even throw in one of the Jordan's , Stephens or Guerrero to even it up .

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I still love the idea of trading for Nick Senzel. I don't know how realistic that is though.

I don't see why the Reds would do that.  He played more 2B than 3B in AAA this season, and you would think he would easily shift to a corner OF spot.  It isn't like he is completely blocked. 

19 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't see why the Reds would do that.  He played more 2B than 3B in AAA this season, and you would think he would easily shift to a corner OF spot.  It isn't like he is completely blocked. 

I'd give serious thought to trading Cease for Senzel straight up.  

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't think the Reds would.  I think Senzel is probably lower risk than Cease, and both have All Star upside.  I think you'd have to sweeten the deal to get the Reds to bite.  

well said, I'm a fan of Cease but he's far too risky to trade a top 5 prospect for alone

Just throwing some options out there -- and not sure you'd want to do this as it may help your direct competitor in the Phillies, but Carols Santana? The Phillies are looking to unload him. I know he's been a liability at 1B and we already have a DH. Maybe if we strike out on Machado we can just take on like half the contract though and stick him at 3rd base?

Personally probably not a fit, but hey, just a forum discussion point. Think he has two years and like 40mm on his contract... maybe you can work out a deal where you get him and JP Crawford or a Scott Kingery. I doubt we sign either of Harper or Machado, so if the Phillies do, maybe they need a bit more payroll flexibility to add both. We take Santana and his whole contract - stick him at 3b/dh/1b rotation for the 2 years and then take on one of their prospect infielders and see what comes of it.

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just throwing some options out there -- and not sure you'd want to do this as it may help your direct competitor in the Phillies, but Carols Santana? The Phillies are looking to unload him. I know he's been a liability at 1B and we already have a DH. Maybe if we strike out on Machado we can just take on like half the contract though and stick him at 3rd base?

Personally probably not a fit, but hey, just a forum discussion point. Think he has two years and like 40mm on his contract... maybe you can work out a deal where you get him and JP Crawford or a Scott Kingery. I doubt we sign either of Harper or Machado, so if the Phillies do, maybe they need a bit more payroll flexibility to add both. We take Santana and his whole contract - stick him at 3b/dh/1b rotation for the 2 years and then take on one of their prospect infielders and see what comes of it.

I like Santana's OBP skills. Honestly, if we ended up non-tendering or trading Garcia, and decided we can just roll with Palka in RF in a platoon next year, I wouldn't mind Santana as the DH.

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Our #1 goal this offseason should be to land a whale.  Therefore, we should not do anything that helps the Phillies or Yankees improve their chances.  

Now, if we fail to land a whale and the Phillies would  give up a young player to absorb Santana’s contract, I’d be totally open for that, but I think they’d much rather just eat $10M and call it a day.

15 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Trade for Santana and help the Phillies get Harper? Yeah, no thanks

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our #1 goal this offseason should be to land a whale.  Therefore, we should not do anything that helps the Phillies or Yankees improve their chances.  

Now, if we fail to land a whale and the Phillies would  give up a young player to absorb Santana’s contract, I’d be totally open for that, but I think they’d much rather just eat $10M and call it a day.

Not necessarily. The Phillies will almost certainly get one of Harper or Machado. If they choose Harper, the Sox are left to outbid the Yankees for Machado, which won't happen. But... if the Phillies opt for Machado, the Sox path for Harper would be a little clearer since the Yankees aren't interested. So anything the Sox can do to nudge the Phillies specifically toward Machado could pay off for them in the long run.

That said, trading for Santana could open 1B for Hoskins, which opens an OF spot for Harper. So that could be bad. But trading for Franco to open an infield spot could help the cause.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

Not necessarily. The Phillies will almost certainly get one of Harper or Machado. If they choose Harper, the Sox are left to outbid the Yankees for Machado, which won't happen. But... if the Phillies opt for Machado, the Sox path for Harper would be a little clearer since the Yankees aren't interested. So anything the Sox can do to nudge the Phillies specifically toward Machado could pay off for them in the long run.

That said, trading for Santana could open 1B for Hoskins, which opens an OF spot for Harper. So that could be bad. But trading for Franco to open an infield spot could help the cause.

The Phillies payroll right now is $114.6m for 2019. So they have plenty of room to add a big name. Luxury tax number is $206m and are a team in the past that has one of the top payrolls in the league. They definitely don't need to deal Santana to spend.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:27 AM, Eminor3rd said:

Perfect match. 

I dig it.  Give Rick a call. 

• Like 1