Creative Trades

reiks12

The Sox could use a starting pitcher.   Corbin stands tall - he's younger than the rest, less wear and tear, and his Ks are still there.   And, accordingly, he's the one everyone wants.  Keuchel is good, but his Ks fell and he's pitched a lot.  May have some Shields in him.  Happ is 35, but  his Ks are still there.    Charlie Morton is about like Happ, but I'd prefer Morton.
And Paxton has 2 years left- it's ridiculous for the Sox to trade for a 2 year pitcher.

Pretty much Corbin or bust for any long term deal; and then, to me, Morton, for a 2 year bridge pitcher if he can be signed reasonably.

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox could use a starting pitcher.   Corbin stands tall - he's younger than the rest, less wear and tear, and his Ks are still there.   And, accordingly, he's the one everyone wants.  Keuchel is good, but his Ks fell and he's pitched a lot.  May have some Shields in him.  Happ is 35, but  his Ks are still there.    Charlie Morton is about like Happ, but I'd prefer Morton.
And Paxton has 2 years left- it's ridiculous for the Sox to trade for a 2 year pitcher.

Pretty much Corbin or bust for any long term deal; and then, to me, Morton, for a 2 year bridge pitcher if he can be signed reasonably.

this is a trade thread

Surprised the overall positivity on the Santana idea.. I posted that on Friday and hadn't checked back until now. Was expecting to get roasted for it.

Clarifying my overall stance - I just don't see the Sox getting Machado or Harper. Now, overall I'm a pessimistic person - but I Just have seen this story too many times and usually we're "in the running" but don't get the guy. also, as much as I'd absolutely love a signing of either guy, I'm also realistic to see how signing a guy like that might really zap payroll flexibility in the future. So if Eloy does well.. cease... moncada starts plalyign to his potential, etc. I can see where a mega-contract starts being an "excuse" of why we cant sign someone. I mean, look at the Cubs .... may or may not be true, but they're even using payroll as an excuse. So all that said, that's why I'd like to look at teams who are currently in that predicament and getting creative there. Baseball is different than other sports, but I wouldn't mind taking on the last two years of a bad contract if it means possibly having a mid level prospect tied to it as well. Others -- not advocating these, but just saying realistically we have a less than 1% chance going against the Yanks, Red Sox, Astros, etc. So although we may think the Indians window is closing - we really have no shot at the real prize. Thus I'd entertain all options in the short term (1-2 years) of bad contracts.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

His last name is Bohm, not Brohm.  And lots of people / publications had him in the #3 / #4 mix.  He may have signed for underslot, but he was far from a reach. I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish by showing him as the #50 prospect other than to prove he’s an incredibly valuable talent who will be costly to acquire.  The Phillies will be in no rush to trade the kid, even if they sign Machado.  I’m still not understanding how Bohm fits into all this.

I would be fine with either Medina or Bohm. Maybe the Phillies would be uninterested I don't really care I'm only looking at it from the Whitesox perspective. I don't think he's worth more then 2/20 at this point. He'd probably get less actually and have to settle for a 1 year deal. So if they want us to take on at the bare min 22 million in extra salary to provide them relief then they will have to pony up a top prospect otherwise I'm fine with going after one of the other reclamation guys that are available every year.

I'm sorry for the spelling everytime I see the name I think Brohm (brian brohm). I looked at his MLB.com profile and still spelt it that way.

54 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Surprised the overall positivity on the Santana idea.. I posted that on Friday and hadn't checked back until now. Was expecting to get roasted for it.

Clarifying my overall stance - I just don't see the Sox getting Machado or Harper. Now, overall I'm a pessimistic person - but I Just have seen this story too many times and usually we're "in the running" but don't get the guy. also, as much as I'd absolutely love a signing of either guy, I'm also realistic to see how signing a guy like that might really zap payroll flexibility in the future. So if Eloy does well.. cease... moncada starts plalyign to his potential, etc. I can see where a mega-contract starts being an "excuse" of why we cant sign someone. I mean, look at the Cubs .... may or may not be true, but they're even using payroll as an excuse. So all that said, that's why I'd like to look at teams who are currently in that predicament and getting creative there. Baseball is different than other sports, but I wouldn't mind taking on the last two years of a bad contract if it means possibly having a mid level prospect tied to it as well. Others -- not advocating these, but just saying realistically we have a less than 1% chance going against the Yanks, Red Sox, Astros, etc. So although we may think the Indians window is closing - we really have no shot at the real prize. Thus I'd entertain all options in the short term (1-2 years) of bad contracts.

Santana is a good player. It's not a terrible idea when you're also considering talking about other players for around similar money. Hoskins was a disaster in the OF last year and that's more of the motivation for moving Santana so that they can move him back to 1B. With the Phillies having so much payroll flexibility, they might be willing to eat some money honestly. They shouldn't need to trade a high regarded prospect with him to get rid of him (not that that happens often anyway other than a couple occasions).

Edited by soxfan2014

True, but if Machado is the guy they sign they're going to have more of a log jam then they'd like between Franco, Kingery, Crawford.

I'm not sure any of those guys are actually going to pan out, all have had their issues.

Franco - 26, although he doesn't strike out much he also doesn't walk/get on base much and defense is average at best.

Kingery - 25, has potential, good AAA numbers, still young. Was highly touted. First pro season was uninspiring.

Crawford - 23, really hasn't done much or lived up to any of the 1st round status. doesn't steal bases, doesn't defend great, no power... etc.

ACtualy after looking up just their stats, I am disappointed more than I thought I'd be. I guess I'd take Franco and Santana in a situation. stick FRanco at 3b and Santana in LF/Dh/3b/1b rotation. Not sure it makes us much better though..

A Phillies-Indians-Mariners bonanza

Phillies get: Corey Kluber, RHP; Yan Gomes, C; Jean Segura, SS
Indians get: Edwin Diaz, RHP; Roman Quinn, OF; Adonis Medina, RHP
Mariners get: J.P. Crawford, SS; Sixto Sanchez, RHP; Adam Haseley, OF; James Karinchak, RHP

A trade featuring a two-time American League Cy Young Award winner, the reigning AL Reliever of the Year, an All-Star shortstop, an All-Star catcher and four guys who have all appeared on MLB Pipeline's Top 100 prospects list in the last calendar year? Yeah, that's a blockbuster. Here's what each club would accomplish:

• Latest Hot Stove rumors

Indians: In moving Kluber ($17M) and Gomes ($7M), they get immediate salary relief for 2019 that they can apply in free agency while pairing Diaz with lefty Brad Hand in a dynamic back end of the bullpen, improving their outfield composition with the speedy, switch-hitting Quinn (or Nick Williams could be a substitute piece here) and improving their long-term rotation outlook with Medina. Despite the key departures, they'd remain prohibitive AL Central favorites while extending their championship window.

• Like 1

The Rockies need offensive help, don’t have a ton of money, and could use a right-handed hitting OF.  This is probably a huge long-shot, but I’d float Avi Garcia for Jeff Hoffman and offer to take on one of their bad relief pitcher contracts.  For example, Bryan Shaw is going to make nearly $9M per over the next two seasons, posted a -0.3 WAR last year, & saw his velocity decline in the second half of the season.  Again, probably a long-shot, but I’d be willing to throw in a small sweetener to make the deal more attractive to the Rockies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

A Phillies-Indians-Mariners bonanza

Phillies get: Corey Kluber, RHP; Yan Gomes, C; Jean Segura, SS
Indians get: Edwin Diaz, RHP; Roman Quinn, OF; Adonis Medina, RHP
Mariners get: J.P. Crawford, SS; Sixto Sanchez, RHP; Adam Haseley, OF; James Karinchak, RHP

A trade featuring a two-time American League Cy Young Award winner, the reigning AL Reliever of the Year, an All-Star shortstop, an All-Star catcher and four guys who have all appeared on MLB Pipeline's Top 100 prospects list in the last calendar year? Yeah, that's a blockbuster. Here's what each club would accomplish:

• Latest Hot Stove rumors

Indians: In moving Kluber ($17M) and Gomes ($7M), they get immediate salary relief for 2019 that they can apply in free agency while pairing Diaz with lefty Brad Hand in a dynamic back end of the bullpen, improving their outfield composition with the speedy, switch-hitting Quinn (or Nick Williams could be a substitute piece here) and improving their long-term rotation outlook with Medina. Despite the key departures, they'd remain prohibitive AL Central favorites while extending their championship window.

I’m gonna go ahead and guess a Mariners fan suggested that one lol

Indians GM: “Ah okay Phillies, I see you’re ready to give up five of your top six prospects for Kluber. Thats good, but there’s one snag. We’re going to have to get the Mariners involved and send THEM most of those prospects because we’d rather trade our ace starter for a closer.”

Edited by Eminor3rd

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Rockies need offensive help, don’t have a ton of money, and could use a right-handed hitting OF.  This is probably a huge long-shot, but I’d float Avi Garcia for Jeff Hoffman and offer to take on one of their bad relief pitcher contracts.  For example, Bryan Shaw is going to make nearly $9M per over the next two seasons, posted a -0.3 WAR last year, & saw his velocity decline in the second half of the season.  Again, probably a long-shot, but I’d be willing to throw in a small sweetener to make the deal more attractive to the Rockies.

Hoffman had a terrible year.  Davidson is a better pitcher.  That said, Rockies have a few really good looking prospects, including two third sackers.  Both GM's are Harvard grads.  They might even be related.  There should be a deal there somewhere.

6 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’m gonna go ahead and guess a Mariners fan suggested that one lol

Indians GM: “Ah okay Phillies, I see you’re ready to give up five of your top six prospects for Kluber. Thats good, but there’s one snag. We’re going to have to get the Mariners involved and send THEM most of those prospects because we’d rather trade our ace starter for a closer.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlbs-5-blockbuster-trades-that-make-sense/c-301037694   It's from this Castrovince article spitballing blockbuster trades. 

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'd do Avi Garcia for Hoffman and Tapia, because I want no part of Engel in CF next year. I just don't think the Rockies are interested in that because it would have happened already if they were. 

The Sox need to find distressed assets/former top prospects that are struggling to grab because they have playing time to give. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Read that Yankees might want to unload Stantons contract $26.5/yr avg value for next 10 yrs. with a couple of opt outs (don't quote me on specifics) in order to add Harper and/or Muchado. If not just a wild rumor, I'd sooner take Stanton over either Harper or Muchado, and...for considerably less money (assuming Stanton doesn't veto). Not sure what our side of trade would look like but, given Starlin Castro was the main piece the Yankees sent the Marlins, I'm guessing a package of Moncada plus a couple of minor league assets might at least start the conversation.  

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Flash said:

Read that Yankees might want to unload Stantons contract $26.5/yr avg value for next 10 yrs. with a couple of opt outs (don't quote me on specifics) in order to add Harper and/or Muchado. If not just a wild rumor, I'd sooner take Stanton over either Harper or Muchado, and...for considerably less money (assuming Stanton doesn't veto). Not sure what our side of trade would look like but, given Starlin Castro was the main piece the Yankees sent the Marlins, I'm guessing a package of Moncada plus a couple of minor league assets might at least start the conversation.  

Moncada has obviously lost a ton of trade value but I still wouldn’t trade him straight up for Stanton 

36 minutes ago, Flash said:

Just to be clear, you’re proposing we trade Yoan Moncada plus other minor leaguers for a 29 year old Giancarlo Stanton who will be paid $26M the next two seasons, followed by an opt-out, and then a guaranteed $218M over seven years ($31M AAV) instead of strictly using our significant financial flexibility to buy a 26 year old star?

• Like 1

For clarity, I'm saying I prefer Stanton to either Muchado or Harper. As you can surmise, I do not value Moncada nearly as highly as most on this board so, yes, I would consider trading him. Of course, I would also consider trading Anderson but I'm guessing the Yankees might prefer Moncada. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flash said:

O_O

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Stanton also has to waive his no-trade clause and that's not happening for the White Sox.