33 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

White Sox receive:

SP Zack Greinke

SP Robbie Ray

$20 million

Diamondbacks receive:

C Zack Collins

Thoughts? Too much? Too little?

Definitely too little, becaue I would probably do this deal in a heartbeat if I were the Sox. I don’t even particularly love the fit but Robbie Ray is really good even if you only get him for two seasons. 

I think dbacks would want quite a bit more, plus they just acquired Carson Kelly. 

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely too little, becaue I would probably do this deal in a heartbeat if I were the Sox. I don’t even particularly love the fit but Robbie Ray is really good even if you only get him for two seasons. 

I think dbacks would want quite a bit more, plus they just acquired Carson Kelly. 

They acquired Kelly about 5 minutes after I posted that, plus Collins is more often seen as a guy who will end up on the short end of a C platoon while playing a lot of his games at 1B, which was recently vacated for them. Ray has 3 years of control according to baseball reference, I wouldn't be interested otherwise. He's also coming off a down year and would be coming with Greinke. 

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

They acquired Kelly about 5 minutes after I posted that, plus Collins is more often seen as a guy who will end up on the short end of a C platoon while playing a lot of his games at 1B, which was recently vacated for them. Ray has 3 years of control according to baseball reference, I wouldn't be interested otherwise. He's also coming off a down year and would be coming with Greinke. 

You’re reading it wrong - Ray has 2 seasons of control. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d still do that deal in a heartbeat for the Sox even though it’s not the best fit with Kopech/Cease/Dunning all ready by 2020. 

Dbacks would want more for Ray.

Even dumping 80% of Greinke? Collins isn't exactly a lottery ticket. What do you think it would take?

Lots of trades happening. Is this a signal or sign that once again only the top free agents will get good money and the rest fight for scraps ? Is it narrowing the field for Harper/Machado due to teams losing too much control with opt outs giving the player most of the power or filling their needs with creative trades ?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lots of trades happening. Is this a signal or sign that once again only the top free agents will get good money and the rest fight for scraps ? Is it narrowing the field for Harper/Machado due to teams losing too much control with opt outs giving the player most of the power or filling their needs with creative trades ?

I think it's a combination of still more teams realizing they need to commit to rebuilding over multiple years (Seattle and Arizona join the list) and teams that actually are close but have good amounts of money committed and don't want to go overboard on Harper/Machado to the point they're in tax territory (NY, Stl).

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we trading our best reliever (left-handed no less) for a 30 year old DH?  Why not just sign Cruz?

4 more years of control for Martinez, who is a damn good player if you can put him at DH, for a 2-time TJS lefty reliever isn’t a bad gamble.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

4 more years of control for Martinez, who is a damn good player if you can put him at DH, for a 2-time TJS lefty reliever isn’t a bad gamble.

Fathom, I normally like your ideas, but this is a terrible suggestion.  We have significant financial flexibility, we should not be trading valuable assets for an over 30 DH.  If you’re concerned about Fry’s health (which is fair) then trade him for prospects and sign Cruz.

Unless we are also bringing in the children of Joe DeSa and Ivan Calderon...?

In all seriousness, Carlos was one of my favorite White Sox players growing up, and I liked him as a prospect before the injuries took over his career, but his son's not going to be a "plus" hitter in his early to mid 30's, when the White Sox legitimately need a DH.

Of course, neither is Nelson Cruz, but at least he wouldn't cost anything and it might boost the attendance by a bit...plus it would be pretty cool to have both Nellie, Thome and Abreu all mentoring young Mr. Jimenez.

16 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

White Sox receive:

SP Zack Greinke

SP Robbie Ray

$20 million

Diamondbacks receive:

C Zack Collins

Thoughts? Too much? Too little?

I really like this idea. Probably a little light though — throw in Carson Fulmer and an org-type guy.

11 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

I really like this idea. Probably a little light though — throw in Carson Fulmer and an org-type guy.

FWIW I’ve seen writers suggest Arizona will be able to deal Greinke and not have to pay salary. In that case, the Sox would have to give up a ton for him and Ray.

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

FWIW I’ve seen writers suggest Arizona will be able to deal Greinke and not have to pay salary. In that case, the Sox would have to give up a ton for him and Ray.

I agree the the proposed deal is too light (as I already mentioned), but I don't think Arizona is getting any prospects of note if they don't kick in cash with Grienke. I think Grienke could be had for something like Curbelo + Stephens, if the Sox took on the whole thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Greinke, Jarrod Dyson & Archie Bradley + 15M for Fulmer, Palka, Sheets & Curbelo

Greinke helps stabilize our rotation. Dyson makes for a nice stop gap before Robert & Basabe begin knocking on the door and Bradley makes a nice set up for Colome and fits the bigger window.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, beautox said:

Greinke, Jarrod Dyson & Archie Bradley + 15M for Fulmer, Palka, Sheets & Curbelo

Greinke helps stabilize our rotation. Dyson makes for a nice stop gap before Robert & Basabe begin knocking on the door and Bradley makes a nice set up for Colome and fits the bigger window.

I'm all for this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, beautox said:

Id do it pretty quickly, which means the Dbacks probably wouldn't. 

I like the idea though, and its definitely creative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Id do it pretty quickly, which means the Dbacks probably wouldn't. 

I like the idea though, and its definitely creative. 

I could see the math shaking out and if we signed Machado bringing Burger and Medeiros or Lambert to give it a bit more punch. Having said that Greinke is owed 103 and his contract is under water when you factor in projections with him losing .5 fWAR from here on out and not taking into account injury risk. Bradley would be a nice get to team up with our bullpen core as it sorts itself out in the coming months/years (Fry, Bummer, Burdi, Hamilton, Burr, Frare, Ruiz).