In July, Sox had deal in place to send A. Garcia to Houston for Martes

Jose Abreu

https://theathletic.com/646072/2018/11/10/rosenthal-astros-had-trade-in-place-for-bryce-harper-in-july-but-nats-ownership-said-no/

After learning they could not land Harper, the Astros put together another trade that would have sent right-hander Francis Martes to the Chicago White Sox for outfielder Avisaíl García, sources said. That deal failed to come to fruition when the Astros expressed concern over the condition of García’s right knee.

Edited by Jose Abreu

20 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

This sort of pokes a hole in the generally accepted idea here that Garcia has no trade value. Which I believed as well.

Blows my theory.  That is the first time I have seen a name attached to Avi, though with TJS attached to Martes, that makes his value an interesting debate.

I think that this board continues to under value Avi. It will be interesting to see what kind of year he has, after his recent knee surgery. Many here are ready to non-tender him. Remember that this is a guy who hit .330 in 2017 and was hitting home runs at a rate, last year, which would have produced 30 round trippers, in an entire season. He did that while hobbled with hamstring and knee problems. It is not unreasonable to think that he might hit around .300 with 25 to 30 homers, if he can stay healthy. That would make him one of the most productive offensive players, on our roster. It certainly does not suggest that he is a candidate to be non-tendered.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I think that this board continues to under value Avi. It will be interesting to see what kind of year he has, after his recent knee surgery. Many here are ready to non-tender him. Remember that this is a guy who hit .330 in 2017 and was hitting home runs at a rate, last year, which would have produced 30 round trippers, in an entire season. He did that while hobbled with hamstring and knee problems. It is not unreasonable to think that he might hit around .300 with 25 to 30 homers, if he can stay healthy. That would make him one of the most productive offensive players, on our roster. It certainly does not suggest that he is a candidate to be non-tendered.

HUGE “if” at this point 

The unknowable that I'm left pondering is: if a sore-kneed Avi was worth one TJS-needed pitching prospect, what was Avi's (presumably) higher trade worth in the preceding offseason? And if it was indeed a higher return, why didn't the team pull the trigger, if they were willing to do so when the return was a single injured prospect later on?

Edited by Hamhock

5 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

The unknowable that I'm left pondering is: if a sore-kneed Avi was worth one TJS-needed pitching prospect, what was Avi's (presumably) higher trade worth in the preceding offseason? And if it was indeed a higher return, why didn't the team pull the trigger, if they were willing to do so when the return was a single injured prospect later on?

Ooh, this is a good question.

This was certainly more than I thought he was worth, even if martes has not shown much yet and is injured.

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Same argument I've put forth for months and being shot down. But hey baseball debate is always fun. If Avi gets non tendered you could actually non tender Delmonico, Cordell, Tilson, Leury, Davidson, Engel  all who have either been injured or never had the kind of season Avi has while being mostly the same age or a year younger,