In July, Sox had deal in place to send A. Garcia to Houston for Martes

Jose Abreu

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That sure didn't sound like it was describing his 2017 season, I never woulda guessed that was what the post was referring to as it said "Before avi was hurt last year". The "last year" part was taken by me to mean "last year", not "2 seasons ago". I coulda read that wrong, but at least it wasn't clear to me.

I could have worded it better but once you saw .330 it should have have tipped you off that when I said "  hurt last year" , meaning he was hurt in 2018  .The "before" meaning prior to 2018 (2017) he hit .330.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Avi in the next few weeks. If he gets non tendered, then this was a tough break, although Martes isn't exactly the top of the line prospect he once was with his surgery and struggles. IIRC, Houston didn't want to include him in a trade for Q, and there was talk he could come into their rotation and be a stud immediately. It didn't quite work out. If he gets tendered, we have to hope the injuries are behind him, although it seems to me he has some sort of leg injury almost all the time. He did hit HR at a much higher pace last season, although he still seems to swing at just about everything. 

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I feel better knowing the Astros turned this down and not us. Post-hype and/or injury reclamation guys are the types the Sox should be looking to buy low on. 

The thing is Avi would have almost certainly been non tendered by the Astros. So if the Sox really wanted him, they could have brought him back at probably a cheaper rate than they have to give him now. But, at least for now, it's really no big deal. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing is Avi would have almost certainly been non tendered by the Astros. So if the Sox really wanted him, they could have brought him back at probably a cheaper rate than they have to give him now. But, at least for now, it's really no big deal. 

I guess it depends on who Avi would have replaced in the lineup when they got him. Would he have played over Marwin Gonzalez since he wasn't good last year as he was in 2017?

28 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I guess it depends on who Avi would have replaced in the lineup when they got him. Would he have played over Marwin Gonzalez since he wasn't good last year as he was in 2017?

Tony Kemp sort of came out of no where for the Astros in June and he's a lefty hitter, so the end result probably would have been some version of a platoon of Garcia and Kemp, with Garcia probably also taking up some time at DH - remember there was also an article about the Astros sniffing around Abreu at this time and they have Gurriel at 1b normally. With the amount of injuries they had this year, they could have figured it out if Garcia was healthy enough to be in the lineup. Gonzalez was also their primary backup SS when Correa went down and spent most of his days there.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It isn’t — as untouchable as Martes was, his stock fell rapidly leading up to his TJ. Could still be an interesting guy if he recovers, but that could be said about a lot of guys. 

It's interesting to me that many fans now think Tommy John surgery is no big deal in terms of returning from, and Avi's leg problems pretty much render him worthless (a nontender certainty to many). I realize a ton of pitchers have come back from TJ, but it's still a matter of who you like and who you don't. Cain has had a ton of leg injuries too and come back each time. Personally I've enjoyed watching Avi play when healthy. I kind of enjoy the guy's game.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's interesting to me that many fans now think Tommy John surgery is no big deal in terms of returning from, and Avi's leg problems pretty much render him worthless (a nontender certainty to many). I realize a ton of pitchers have come back from TJ, but it's still a matter of who you like and who you don't. Cain has had a ton of leg injuries too and come back each time. Personally I've enjoyed watching Avi play when healthy. I kind of enjoy the guy's game.

Avi is a non-tender candidate because he has one year of control left at a price that is higher than what he brings to the table.  He'd be a nontender candidate regardless of his injury. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Avi is a non-tender candidate because he has one year of control left at a price that is higher than what he brings to the table.  He'd be a nontender candidate regardless of his injury. 

You really think so? I dunno about that. His production has been pretty good the last 2 seasons when healthy. And he's still fairly young. What's he supposed to get in arbitration this season anyway? Is it 10 mill? Sorry that I don't know this. I tried to look it up. (Didn't he just have a scope? Not all that serious).

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

You really think so? I dunno about that. His production has been pretty good the last 2 seasons when healthy. And he's still fairly young. What's he supposed to get in arbitration this season anyway? Is it 10 mill? Sorry that I don't know this. I tried to look it up. (Didn't he just have a scope? Not all that serious).

If you take out Avi's unsustainably high BABIP-fueled 2017, he has been a pretty terrible player.  He's a low OBP corner outfield that sucks defensively.  He isn't woth the $8-10M he will would get in arb.  He's probably looking at 1 year deal around $5M with someone else if the Sox non-tender him, and he may very well outperform that contact.  But his time with the Sox is likely over.  Its time to move on. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you take out Avi's unsustainably high BABIP-fueled 2017, he has been a pretty terrible player.  He's a low OBP corner outfield that sucks defensively.  He isn't woth the $8-10M he will would get in arb.  He's probably looking at 1 year deal around $5M with someone else if the Sox non-tender him, and he may very well outperform that contact.  But his time with the Sox is likely over.  Its time to move on. 

You are probably right. I hope if we dump him we acquire somebody with some pop in his bat. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Avi in the same lineup with Eloy and Abreu and Moncada and Anderson and Harper a full season if we get him.