Davidson pitching role not going to grow for now

southsider2k5

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/it-sounds-matt-davidson-wont-be-next-shohei-ohtani-after-all

But general manager Rick Hahn said last week at the GM Meetings in Southern California that Davidson likely won’t be an important piece of the White Sox bullpen in 2019.

“He’s excited by the potential to add additional value to his club,” Hahn said. “I think he knows, still, his bread is buttered with the offense he provides. We’ve had conversations with Matty, we’ve had conversations with the agent about what potentially he could do in the future. And who knows, maybe someday that comes to fruition. But right now, the focus is on his offense.”

Asked if Davidson would log some innings during spring training, Hahn said:

“I don’t anticipate that right now.”

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it has the chance of growing. He made 3 appearances . Perhaps hes make up to 10 appearances if we suck again all when we are hopelessly out of games. If he does well again, they might have to take him a little more seriously especially if his hitting tanks.

Yeah, if we're down like 4 in the 9th, I have no problem with him in there. Unless we make enough moves to where you can squint and possibly see a contending team.

55 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it has the chance of growing. He made 3 appearances . Perhaps hes make up to 10 appearances if we suck again all when we are hopelessly out of games. If he does well again, they might have to take him a little more seriously especially if his hitting tanks.

The problem is the more he concentrates on pitching, the less he can concentrate on hitting. His hitting needs some concentration.

He did well in a fun way, but would anyone want to see if he could be a mediocre at best mop up guy, if it meant his hitting was most likely only going to get worse? He really wouldn't be worth a roster spot on a good team.

i think keeping him doing what he is doing is the way to go. He can fill in during blowouts, and work on his offense. 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is the more he concentrates on pitching, the less he can concentrate on hitting. His hitting needs some concentration.

He did well in a fun way, but would anyone want to see if he could be a mediocre at best mop up guy, if it meant his hitting was most likely only going to get worse? He really wouldn't be worth a roster spot on a good team.

i think keeping him doing what he is doing is the way to go. He can fill in during blowouts, and work on his offense. 

Isn't your last sentence just what I said ?