Jump to content
Y2Jimmy0

2019 MLB Draft Picks (Running Thread)

Recommended Posts

I try to do this every year to show where the White Sox picks will likely be. We'll just do the first two picks for now. Bryce Harper, Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin, Craig Kimbrel, Yasmani Grandal, Hyun Jin Ryu and AJ Pollock all received the qualifying offer from their clubs. Arizona is the only team that will receive a pick after round 1 for their players. Boston and Washington would receive picks after round 3. Houston and Los Angeles would receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B. The White Sox would forfeit their 2nd rounder and the bonus pool attached to sign any FA that received a QO. 

1. Baltimore

2. Kansas City

3. White Sox

4. Miami

5. Detroit

6. San Diego

7. Cincinnati

8. Texas

9. Atlanta (Comp for not signing Carter Stewart)

10. San Francisco

11. Toronto

12. Mets

13. Minnesota

14. Philadelphia

15. Angels

16. Arizona

17. Washington

18. Pittsburgh

19. St. Louis

20. Seattle

21. Atlanta

22. Tampa Bay

23. Colorado

24. Cleveland

25. Dodgers

26. Arizona (Comp for not signing Matt McLain)

27. Cubs

28. Milwaukee

29. Oakland

30. Yankees

31. Dodgers (Comp for not signing JT Ginn)

32. Houston

33. Boston

34. Arizona (Patrick Corbin Compensation)

35. Arizona (AJ Pollock Compensation)

Competitive Balance Round A

36. Miami

37. Cincinnati

38. Minnesota

39. Tampa Bay

40. Milwaukee

41. Oakland

Round 2

42. Baltimore

43. Kansas City

44. White Sox 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I try to do this every year to show where the White Sox picks will likely be. We'll just do the first two picks for now. Bryce Harper, Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin, Craig Kimbrel, Yasmani Grandal, Hyun Jin Ryu and AJ Pollock all received the qualifying offer from their clubs. Arizona is the only team that will receive a pick after round 1 for their players. Boston and Washington would receive picks after round 3. Houston and Los Angeles would receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B. The White Sox would forfeit their 2nd rounder and the bonus pool attached to sign any FA that received a QO. 

1. Baltimore

2. Kansas City

3. White Sox

4. Miami

5. Detroit

6. San Diego

7. Cincinnati

8. Texas

9. Atlanta (Comp for not signing Carter Stewart)

10. San Francisco

11. Toronto

12. Mets

13. Minnesota

14. Philadelphia

15. Angels

16. Arizona

17. Washington

18. Pittsburgh

19. St. Louis

20. Seattle

21. Atlanta

22. Tampa Bay

23. Colorado

24. Cleveland

25. Dodgers

26. Arizona (Comp for not signing Matt McLain)

27. Cubs

28. Milwaukee

29. Oakland

30. Yankees

31. Dodgers (Comp for not signing JT Ginn)

32. Houston

33. Boston

34. Arizona (Patrick Corbin Compensation)

35. Arizona (AJ Pollock Compensation)

Competitive Balance Round A

36. Miami

37. Cincinnati

38. Minnesota

39. Tampa Bay

40. Milwaukee

41. Oakland

Round 2

42. Baltimore

43. Kansas City

44. White Sox 

 

 

So Arizona end up with 4 picks ( 3 of them higher ) than the Sox 2nd pick  for  finishing with 3rd worst record in baseball. That kind of sucks. Any chance these things change in the next contract between players and owners ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So Arizona end up with 4 picks ( 3 of them higher ) than the Sox 2nd pick  for  finishing with 3rd worst record in baseball. That kind of sucks. Any chance these things change in the next contract between players and owners ?

I doubt it. This is why I've preached that the White Sox need to spend a shitload of money. They aren't afforded the same opportunities as these small market teams. Arizona receives their own first rounder plus a compensation pick for not signing last year's first rounder. THey'll lose two free agents and get picks after round 1. If the Sox were to lose two similar free agents, they would receive compensation after Competitive Balance Round B. It's a definite disadvantage but the Sox have more financial might than Arizona does and they need to act accordingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I doubt it. This is why I've preached that the White Sox need to spend a shitload of money. They aren't afforded the same opportunities as these small market teams. Arizona receives their own first rounder plus a compensation pick for not signing last year's first rounder. THey'll lose two free agents and get picks after round 1. If the Sox were to lose two similar free agents, they would receive compensation after Competitive Balance Round B. It's a definite disadvantage but the Sox have more financial might than Arizona does and they need to act accordingly. 

So the bigger market teams get a worse compensation pick when they lose a free agent? I didn't know that. That is pretty crappy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joejoedairy said:

So the bigger market teams get a worse compensation pick when they lose a free agent? I didn't know that. That is pretty crappy. 

Yes they do. Small market clubs that offer a QO receive a pick after the first round. Large market clubs receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B. Clubs over the luxury tax only receive a pick after round 3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Of course, some small market teams draw more than White Sox.

Almost all of them do. I kind of wish these comp picks were based on like a "Last 5 years attendance". Because while teams can certainly tank for draft picks, they aren't going to want to sabotage attendance for draft picks, as that immediately affects their bottom line. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to do this every year to show where the White Sox picks will likely be. We'll just do the first two picks for now. Bryce Harper, Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin, Craig Kimbrel, Yasmani Grandal, Hyun Jin Ryu and AJ Pollock all received the qualifying offer from their clubs. Arizona is the only team that will receive a pick after round 1 for their players. Boston and Washington would receive picks after round 3. Houston and Los Angeles would receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B. The White Sox would forfeit their 2nd rounder and the bonus pool attached to sign any FA that received a QO. UPDATES: Corbin to Washington (AZ receives compensation), Grandal to Brewers (Dodgers receive compensation), Pollock to Dodgers (AZ receives compensation). Harper, Kimbrel and Keuchel remain unsigned but none of the 3 will affect the Sox's top picks. 

1. Baltimore

2. Kansas City

3. White Sox

4. Miami

5. Detroit

6. San Diego

7. Cincinnati

8. Texas

9. Atlanta (Comp for not signing Carter Stewart)

10. San Francisco

11. Toronto

12. Mets

13. Minnesota

14. Philadelphia

15. Angels

16. Arizona

17. Washington

18. Pittsburgh

19. St. Louis

20. Seattle

21. Atlanta

22. Tampa Bay

23. Colorado

24. Cleveland

25. Dodgers

26. Arizona (Comp for not signing Matt McLain)

27. Cubs

28. Milwaukee

29. Oakland

30. Yankees

31. Dodgers (Comp for not signing JT Ginn)

32. Houston

33. Boston

34. Arizona (Patrick Corbin Compensation)

35. Arizona (AJ Pollock Compensation)

Competitive Balance Round A

36. Miami

37. New York Yankees (FROM CIN)

38. Minnesota

39. Tampa Bay

40. Milwaukee

41. Oakland

Round 2

42. Baltimore

43. Kansas City

44. White Sox 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×