Mariners front office accused of racism

southsider2k5

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I have never heard of this woman until today, but you have to wonder what exactly would be in it for her to lie.

Well, she just got fired. People say things to get noticed in today's wonderful age of social media and outrage culture. *IF* (and I'm not accusing her as such) she was just trying to blast her former bosses, calling them a racist would be a very good way to try and burry them with the way society is. Unfortunately, I rarely believe anything until more information comes out about it from multiple sources. It'll be interesting to see what ends up happening and if more people open their mouths about this situation from inside the organization.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Well, she just got fired. People say things to get noticed in today's wonderful age of social media and outrage culture. *IF* (and I'm not accusing her as such) she was just trying to blast her former bosses, calling them a racist would be a very good way to try and burry them with the way society is. Unfortunately, I rarely believe anything until more information comes out about it from multiple sources. It'll be interesting to see what ends up happening and if more people open their mouths about this situation from inside the organization.

It is pretty much career suicide to do what she did if it isn’t true. Probably is career suicide if it is true, but she is a doctor with a decent work history.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have never heard of this woman until today, but you have to wonder what exactly would be in it for her to lie.

I understand that people and organizations are innocent I’ll proven guilty but we need to believe alleged victims when they come forward. Is that a tough balancing act? Absolutely but we need to be fair. 

• Haha 1

Fired employee is disgruntled? No friggin' way.

Regardless of whether she is telling the truth or not, waiting until she loses her job is going to be seen with a ton of skepticism as well as some who think shes awfully cowardly to see such injustices and not do a damn thing about it until she has nothing to lose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fired employee is disgruntled? No friggin' way.

Regardless of whether she is telling the truth or not, waiting until she loses her job is going to be seen with a ton of skepticism as well as some who think shes awfully cowardly to see such injustices and not do a damn thing about it until she has nothing to lose.

Her entire IG post read like it was written by a deranged lunatic.

I have no idea whether Dipioto or Gervais is actually racist. His history would suggest otherwise one of the first things he did when he became GM of the Mariners was invest heavily in the Latin market.

And to be clear, this woman isn't a victim. She is stating there are victims of racist because of Jerry DiPoto and others. She also stated that a DiPoto-led team will never make the playoffs because he is racist (nevermind 2014).

Mariners FO has had a history of problems with workplace sexual harassment, as documented here. So this wouldn't be the first time they'd be showing some cultural problems.

Someone willing to commit career Hari Kari like this, I think you need to give some benefit of the doubt - at least to a point where it should be investigated.

14 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Mariners FO has had a history of problems with workplace sexual harassment, as documented here. So this wouldn't be the first time they'd be showing some cultural problems.

Someone willing to commit career Hari Kari like this, I think you need to give some benefit of the doubt - at least to a point where it should be investigated.

There's a joke here about Dipito responding to these allegations with "I Like Beer!" that I'm not sure I can make.

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I do think there is a lot of racism and sexism in baseball. This is really not a good situation and the worst is that this might cause other front offices to avoid hiring women or minorities to avoid scandals if they fire someone.

or it might cause the MLB to institute measures for preferential hiring 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

or it might cause the MLB to institute measures for preferential hiring 

Thread derailed.  (And MLB already has these policies for managerial and GM openings...not preferential hiring, but at least to offer the opportunity to interview for qualified applicants.)

Maybe they'll hire only Asians who were discriminated against by Harvard because their SAT score profile was TOO GOOD compared to white students, lol.  (Like that will ever happen.)

In fact, talking about exploiting a niche market, the White Sox should simply hire all the Chinese and Indian quants who get paid 50% less in Silicon Valley and bring them each to Chicago to create a computer database/algorithm to rival the Astros.  Boom.  Problem solved.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

👆yiiiikes.  

“Outrage culture” is the best term I’ve heard to describe what’s been going on lately

I like how he puts "thread derailed" before he posts as if it excuses his post's lack of relevance. 

• Haha 1

• Quin locked this topic