White Sox trying to trade Avi Garcia?

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I can't believe that they'd just let him go for nothing unless they plan to sign a legit RFer.  

It sounds like they are trying to add at least one major league OF, plus they know Eloy will be up in mid April, so that is actually two slots they are needing to make room for.  Avi really doesn't fit.  He really didn't fit their plans at the end of the season, and were actively trying to trade him then.

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I can't believe that they'd just let him go for nothing unless they plan to sign a legit RFer.  

He will make far less as a free agent than he would if the White Sox offered him arbitration. They may still sign an OF, but they have plenty of options on the roster to fill that position, and you can't strongly argue that they won't produce equal to Garcia even if they're bad, because he was bad last year and missed half the year. 

Hell, in the end they could non-tender him and then decide to bring him back later as a free agent. This would be comparable to what happened with Gordon Beckham.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

And this is why not getting Martes in July blows. When it is known a player is getting cut if their current team can't trade them they just get cut. Why risk anything from the other 29 teams' perspective?

Agreed.  Unless, for some reason, a team really wants Avi and does not want to let him get to open market for fear of losing him.  Obviously, unlikely, but about the only reason I could see a team trade for him.  That or just willing to take a flier on him and don't have to give up much, if anything.  

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He will make far less as a free agent than he would if the White Sox offered him arbitration. They may still sign an OF, but they have plenty of options on the roster to fill that position, and you can't strongly argue that they won't produce equal to Garcia even if they're bad, because he was bad last year and missed half the year. 

Hell, in the end they could non-tender him and then decide to bring him back later as a free agent. This would be comparable to what happened with Gordon Beckham.

Gross.  I can't do another season of the bad OFers we've seen the last two years.

Let's say Eloy is in LF and Engel is in CF.  Who is the in house option for RF?  

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

And this is why not getting Martes in July blows. When it is known a player is getting cut if their current team can't trade them they just get cut. Why risk anything from the other 29 teams' perspective?

Unfortunately,  the same thing that makes him likely a non-tender is what made him untradeable in June, his health. He probably still can hit decently when he's healthy, but he wasn't healthy enough for the Astros to take a chance on him in June, and there's no reason to risk $8 million on a gamble that he'll be healthy next year. 

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Gross.  I can't do another season of the bad OFers we've seen the last two years.

Delmonico and Palka. At the very least, it's no more gross than a gimpy Avi Garcia out there.

He still makes me nervous to let go, though I don't want to keep him particularly.

Still a bundle of talent that couldn't put it together, fantastic arm, great exit velocity numbers when he hits it, spurts of power, but just never able to put it together.

It reminds me a bit of smoak, who was who he was until suddenly at age 30 he became pretty good.

That said, I don't feel like waiting around for Avi anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Welcome to rebuilding.  If we don't sign a Brantley or Harper, we are back to the in house options of Palka, Delmonico and the like.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

They could still sign him, right?

Yes, there are no rules about signing him if he's non-tendered.

And though James Jones was not eligible for salary arbitration and would have made scarcely more than the league minimum in 2016, the Rangers non-tendered him in December 2015 to open a 40-man roster spot for further offseason maneuvering. Texas soon re-signed Jones to a Minor League contract, keeping him in the organization without expending a 40-man roster spot.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, there are no rules about signing him if he's non-tendered.

I think it makes sense to see what teams value exclusive rights to Avi would be, non-tendering him if the value is not particularly high, and then taking the risk that you can re-sign him at a lower cost even among competition.

If sox ended up signing harper, this saves them money. If they don't, they give garcia opportunity few teams will have, which is a starting job in RF mostly dedicated to him.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it makes sense to see what teams value exclusive rights to Avi would be, non-tendering him if the value is not particularly high, and then taking the risk that you can re-sign him at a lower cost even among competition.

If sox ended up signing harper, this saves them money. If they don't, they give garcia opportunity few teams will have, which is a starting job in RF mostly dedicated to him.

I like this.  

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

There is really no reason at all to not see if you can get something for Avi if there is any possibility of non-tendering him (which there should be). 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Avi is very popular in the clubhouse so this will sting a bit for the players. Sox desperately need to cut the high strikeout, low OBP fat they have on the team though 

this one i view as them trying to cut a player that is the ultimate tease.   If he could stay healthy, this wouldnt even be in play