White Sox trying to trade Avi Garcia?

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is really no reason at all to not see if you can get something for Avi if there is any possibility of non-tendering him (which there should be). 

Right, I guess my point is it's possible sox try to re-sign him.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they fail at an upgrade, I think it is possible.  I mean they do seem to like Avi, but they also seem to be showing they are ready to move on.

Exactly. Sox clearly have identified corner OF as an area they can get a significant upgrade this year. Absent that, it makes sense to give Avi one more year to see if he has future as a dh/of rotational player.

This removes that salary from books, lets them explore, and return back to it. I don't see Avi as someone that signs early.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly. Sox clearly have identified corner OF as an area they can get a significant upgrade this year. Absent that, it makes sense to give Avi one more year to see if he has future as a dh/of rotational player.

This removes that salary from books, lets them explore, and return back to it. I don't see Avi as someone that signs early.

He will probably either sign day 1 with someone who loves him, or in March.

Just now, bmags said:

It's also possible that the floor could drop out from beneath some of the outfielders before the end of the offseason as happened to Moustakas last year. If someone like Brantley or McCutchen was available for the same money Garcia would get in arbitration, wouldn't we all go for that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's also possible that the floor could drop out from beneath some of the outfielders before the end of the offseason as happened to Moustakas last year. If someone like Brantley or McCutchen was available for the same money Garcia would get in arbitration, wouldn't we all go for that?

Absolutely. I'm also fine with sox handing out short term deals to bounce back veterans in certain positions. They need to show off that they can sign free agents, and in some cases the opportunity cost is just "Nicky Delmonico playing time" and i'm fine with that.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Absolutely. I'm also fine with sox handing out short term deals to bounce back veterans in certain positions. They need to show off that they can sign free agents, and in some cases the opportunity cost is just "Nicky Delmonico playing time" and i'm fine with that.

Delmonico had a full season last year where he could have earned playing time if he stayed healthy, he didn't stay healthy and he didn't hit well when he was present. Last year we needed to give guys like him a chance. This year, I really don't want to block Palka, I want him as the main DH, and I want Narvaez getting most of the reps behind the plate, because those guys performed last year. If Delmonico happens to hit well enough off the bench or at AAA to earn another shot, great, but he had his chance last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Delmonico had a full season last year where he could have earned playing time if he stayed healthy, he didn't stay healthy and he didn't hit well when he was present. Last year we needed to give guys like him a chance. This year, I really don't want to block Palka, I want him as the main DH, and I want Narvaez getting most of the reps behind the plate, because those guys performed last year. If Delmonico happens to hit well enough off the bench or at AAA to earn another shot, great, but he had his chance last year.

I also feel the same with 3b, but the success of rondon gives me pause. On one hand, his power may be for real, on other, sox have not treated him like they think he turned a corner.

And obviously CF is a place they can even experiment with a 3 year deal or more for right candidate.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also feel the same with 3b, but the success of rondon gives me pause. On one hand, his power may be for real, on other, sox have not treated him like they think he turned a corner.

And obviously CF is a place they can even experiment with a 3 year deal or more for right candidate.

Rondon just isn't a 3B, and they weren't going to take away everyday at bats from Moncada or Anderson to get him in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rondon just isn't a 3B, and they weren't going to take away everyday at bats from Moncada or Anderson to get him in the lineup.

I'm not sure it matters that much this year. If his bat looks to be league average or better you either expand his positional versatility to OF or whatever else, or you get to trade him for pitching.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure it matters that much this year. If his bat looks to be league average or better you either expand his positional versatility to OF or whatever else, or you get to trade him for pitching.

Sounds like the Sox were going to get him to play some OF in winter ball, so I think that is the plan. 

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I would give Rondon a shot failing a big name acquisition and send Slappy Sanchez packing. There may be no room for Nick D in reserve with 13 pitchers suiting up. If a good corner is acquired Avalicious could rotate between OF and DH.  He may be better suited for strategic starting and resting. His body doesn't always know where it is going which is why he is injury prone. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You hearing anything raBBit on who might be his replacement?

No but I know the Sox have tried trading Avi over the last 24 months and even when he was hitting .330 and an All Star the market didn't value him whatsoever.

People forget that the Sox were ready to move on from Avi before LaRoche brought on the Daddy Day Care saga.

52 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Avi will not be on the roster on Opening Day 2019.

I don't know why the Sox would go this far with Avi and not give him one more chance to blossom. His knee allegedly will not prevent offseason workouts for him. He turns 28 in June. Still young enough and has some life in his bat. I've read he's good in the clubhouse and he's fun to watch play. He fits the criteria of a guy to keep around at 8-10 million a year. Eloy, Avi and whoemever in cf is a decent outfield. Now if we get Harper, fine, dump Avi.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Does anyone think the Sox put out that Martes for Avi trade info to drive up Avi's value? It would maybe make Avi look more appealing if a team that makes great trades like the Astros were willing to give up a pretty decent prospect for him.

It's too late really.  They should have done it at the deadline if that was their goal.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's too late really.  They should have done it at the deadline if that was their goal.

That's not what he's saying. He actually made a pretty astute point. The timing of most leaks isn't coincidental. The other team still has Martes on their roster so they don't want it leaked. If Sox hypothetically leaked it, it plays as "One of the best organizations in the league was willing to give up a former top prospect and live arm who's fallen on hard times but still just 22 for Garcia." Great timing considering they're on the verge of cutting ties with him for nothing.