White Sox trying to trade Avi Garcia?

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That's not what he's saying. He actually made a pretty astute point. The timing of most leaks isn't coincidental. The other team still has Martes on their roster so they don't want it leaked. If Sox hypothetically leaked it, it plays as "One of the best organizations in the league was willing to give up a former top prospect and live arm who's fallen on hard times but still just 22 for Garcia." Great timing considering they're on the verge of cutting ties with him for nothing.

No one is giving up something significant for Garcia and spending arbitration prices on him too. The window is closed,  which is why the original writer talked about him being non-tendered. MLB teams aren't stupid. They understand that they can get him for both less money and no prospects by waiting for a couple of weeks if they really want Avi.

The message has been sent to Avi’s camp. He is getting non tendered. The missed trade coming out now does suggest it was leaked by the Sox, but they aren’t going to move the needle with any team for that alleged offer. A pitcher who struggled and underwent surgery and will miss 2019, is not exactly an impressive return. 

So either they don’t want Avi or are trying to get him to sign for less. I don’t think Avi Garcia at $8 million is on any team’s must have list. Unless it was part of something bigger, I would be shocked if they could trade him now.

Edited by Dick Allen

19 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Avi is very popular in the clubhouse so this will sting a bit for the players. Sox desperately need to cut the high strikeout, low OBP fat they have on the team though 

Perhaps.  But I've observed Avi at Spring Training year after year, and he is an absolute tool with fans.  Picture a string of kids lined up on the wall just wanting a hand slap.  He's only 4 ft from the wall and and he maintains his "tough guy" strut and just glares at them.  And this is not an isolated incident.....it's his MO.  Contrast that with Abreu who goes out of his way to make every kid feel special. every chance he gets. 

I say good riddance to his career year and bring on whatever the future may bring.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoeBatadatz said:

Perhaps.  But I've observed Avi at Spring Training year after year, and he is an absolute tool with fans.  Picture a string of kids lined up on the wall just wanting a hand slap.  He's only 4 ft from the wall and and he maintains his "tough guy" strut and just glares at them.  And this is not an isolated incident.....it's his MO.  Contrast that with Abreu who goes out of his way to make every kid feel special. every chance he gets. 

I say good riddance to his career year and bring on whatever the future may bring.

Yeah I've been ready to turn the page on him for a while.

As long as Palka isn’t the answer, it’s fine. He hits more homers than Avi, but everything else is a downgrade. I know some expect him to improve a lot, but he and Avi are the same age.

Obviously at this point $8 million is too much to pay Avi. It is too bad because he is a hard worker and has a lot of talent, but When it came together it didn’t stay together and he is constantly injured. 

Some team is going to gobble him up if we release him. I hope it's not the Royals. Think about it, his bat is potentially potent and I don't want to have to face him 19 different games with him on KC or Cleveland or Minnie or Detroit. He's not exactly a stiff, folks. You may not like him, but he gets hot and the last two years for the most part when healthy he's hit the ball. Hope he goes to the Pads or some other NL team.

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Some team is going to gobble him up if we release him. I hope it's not the Royals. Think about it, his bat is potentially potent and I don't want to have to face him 19 different games with him on KC or Cleveland or Minnie or Detroit. He's not exactly a stiff, folks. You may not like him, but he gets hot and the last two years for the most part when healthy he's hit the ball. Hope he goes to the Pads or some other NL team.

Indians would probably be interested. They're pretty thin out there in the OF.

23 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Indians would probably be interested. They're pretty thin out there in the OF.

If our scouts/spies think a Central Division team is going to sign him, we better keep him. That would be unacceptable if he blossoms with another team in the Central. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, raBBit said:

That's not what he's saying. He actually made a pretty astute point. The timing of most leaks isn't coincidental. The other team still has Martes on their roster so they don't want it leaked. If Sox hypothetically leaked it, it plays as "One of the best organizations in the league was willing to give up a former top prospect and live arm who's fallen on hard times but still just 22 for Garcia." Great timing considering they're on the verge of cutting ties with him for nothing.

Really?  I don't see how it would be beneficial to say another team backed out of a trade because of health concerns that have only been magnified with his needing surgery.

Avi G under-performed in 2018.   I think injury was the main reason.

He had his knee scoped and should be back at 100% in 2019.  I am betting that he comes back and hits for power and average.

Therefore, I am going to go against the grain here and suggest that the Sox try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  If I am right and he starts raking in 2019, then you have a valuable trade asset moving forward.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

If our scouts/spies think a Central Division team is going to sign him, we better keep him. That would be unacceptable if he blossoms with another team in the Central. 

He has one year of control left.  Whoever signs him, he will be available in another year by all odds anyway, as it isn't like anyone is giving him a long term deal anyway.

How about one year 5 million with another 3-5 in incentives.  If healthy and productive, he could make as much or even a little more than arbitration prediction.  If he is like last year, he gets about five.  Add a club option at 8-12 depending on what incentives are reached.  Seems fair to both sides.

Edited by BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

How about one year 5 million with another 3-5 in incentives.  If healthy and productive, he could make as much or even a little more than arbitration prediction.  If he is like last year, he gets about five.  Add a club option at 8-12 depending on what incentives are reached.  Seems fair to both sides.

The club option makes this interesting. Ultimately though, I don't think Avi would do that. He could just take a one-year contract and hit FA after 2019. The club option hurts him without any real upside for him.

Let's say Avi was healthy and had identical stats to two seasons ago in 2019. And makes 8-12 million whatever he gets in arbitration? Let's say Harper has his normal season. How much more valuable is Harper to a team/front office, considering how much more money Harper receives, than Avi? I think that's a good math question for today.

15 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Really?  I don't see how it would be beneficial to say another team backed out of a trade because of health concerns that have only been magnified with his needing surgery.

These transactions are pending physicals. Teams could have their own physicians look into it. 

2 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

If we don't sign another RF I can't object to this very strongly, but step 1 in making this happen is not offering him arbitration because Arbitration will guarantee him something like $8 million or more. By definition, not offering him arbitration is going to make him a free agent. 29 other teams would have the opportunity to offer him a similar contract. I'm not sure whether or not any of them will, that will depend on what happens in the market before January. 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

These transactions are pending physicals. Teams could have their own physicians look into it. 

Well obviously, but still it can't be good for the perception that he failed another team's (especially since it wasn't the O's) physical and that scuttled a trade.  I don't see how that report could help his trade value.

43 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Well obviously, but still it can't be good for the perception that he failed another team's (especially since it wasn't the O's) physical and that scuttled a trade.  I don't see how that report could help his trade value.

I doubt Houston actually gave him a physical. The Sox probably shared all their info with them and their doctors probably came to the conclusion, which turned out correct, that he was going to need surgery. There is some stuff teams are supposed to share. It is what got AJ Preller in trouble. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt Houston actually gave him a physical. The Sox probably shared all their info with them and their doctors probably came to the conclusion, which turned out correct, that he was going to need surgery. There is some stuff teams are supposed to share. It is what got AJ Preller in trouble. 

The technical logistics are hardly the point.

Edited by turnin' two

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He had knee surgery. Nothing major since he actually still played after it was scheduled. But a playoff team isn't going to want a guy with lingering leg problems on basically a rental. 

Gee, thanks mister.  I totally didn't understand that super complex scenario.

That still isn't remotely my point.  

Yeah.  He has since had surgery.  But how is leaking that another team backed out of a deal to acquire him because of health concerns going to help his trade value?

Edited by turnin' two